SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well yes... it is an upside down rice pot
but on top of that is my "rough cut" balsa master for a Lotus 15 that I've been building.

After a little more work I decided to cast it in plaster on the theory that damp plaster would be easier to work with - that seems to have been a good idea...

Here is the female mold next to the balsa master...

and here is the plaster copy after a bit more sanding and scribing...

Not being a master model builder or anything close this project has been a steep learning curve but, I'm having fun, and if it works out I hope to have a nice'ish if not top notch model at the end of it all.

There are a few more details on my web site for anyone interested and there is also a nice SlotForum graphic kindly given to me by Swissracer
in the links section to return you here once you have had a look

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is looking really nice John! Carving bodies may not be for everyone, but the satisfaction you get from completing a car you have literally built yourself is really special -- esp. when it is a model of a unique car not offered by a manufacturer. Be sure to let s see it when you are done.

P.S. I've been toying with the idea of trying to carve the BRM turbine car raced by Graham Hill at LeMans in the early 1960s (the #00 roadster), but so far haven't managed to build up enough motivation or time to take it on. I haven't seen any plans or detailed fotos but looks similar to the Lotus 15.

mp

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that speedyweenie

Regarding the Rover-BRM turbine, I was browsing vsrnonline a while back and I'm pretty sure I saw the plans on there - might just give you the inspiration to go ahead!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that is quite different! I see what you mean about the similarities between the Lotus 15 and Rover-BRM 00 shapes now.

Pity it's not the plan you wanted, 00 would be a real head turner if you built one.

Thanks for showing me the link.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Gee: You guys only had to ask. Rhys Fibee has made both these cars,I recently sent some to Trevor May and Derek Baker in the UK.

If anyone would like some pics Email me off line and I will find them.
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The Lotus body looks beautiful- one of my favourite cars, too. But one thing still puzzles me about resin casting... How are you going to make that lovely wrap-around curvy windscreen? Can you cast in clear resin? Or do you have to have vacforming facilities? I love whittling away to make body shells, but the clear parts still fox me. What do you do?

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
I may be wrong,but I think the 11s windshield was just bent flat sheet,with no compound curves.Many of the cars from this eara were done like this.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi howmet tx

Well like I said I'm no expert. But I do have a cunning plan:

1. make another female mold this time from the "final" master.
2. cast the shell in resin using the slushy method.
3. do a normal re-cast in plaster.

In theory the resin part will be drilled for the lights and detailed while the plaster copy will be converted to a vacuum mold, i.e. windscreen added using DAS air drying clay and the body undercurves straightened out. I do have a simple home made vac former and I should then be able to form a shell in clear plastic to cut up for the windshields and lights. Bingo!

Just need the wheels then, so...

Al, the 11 and 15 are very similar although when you start to look at these cars you realise that there are many individual variations. In general terms, visually the 15 has a lower frontal area (the engine was canted over for a lower c of g) and it has a curvier windscreen particularly at the trailing edge.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
'Simple home-made vac former'???

You interest me strangely. Care to impart any details?
I'm fed up to the back teeth with trawling through old packaging materials to find bits of clear plastic with appropriate curves. Not to mention the scowls I get from the wife when I'm raiding the rubbish bins. 'Easter egg boxes!!! Don't throw those things away!' 'But it's November, love, you can't need them anymore!''Not if I can find out how to make...... A SIMPLE HOME-MADE VAC FORMER!'

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Hi John

When you have finished "whittling" your bodyshell are you going to sell any?....

Looks a really nice shell to try out some of my chassis on.

Regards

Alan

·
John Roche
4,157 Posts
Hi John,

The Lotus looks great. It's such a small and low car, have you thought about what motor & chassis layout you're going to use?

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi John

I'm not really worried about how fast it goes (at least not yet anyway!) so probably a small Pink-Kar/Ninco Go-Kart type motor in a simple brass surround frame.

I'm not sure about the wheels. I've got a small lathe so I might try and turn some, otherwise I thought I might try some old Airfix/MRRC Lotus 24 types.

Any suggestions welcome...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
With the greatest respect....

I got some nice 'wobbly web' inserts from Pattos. They're vacformed, and a bit tricky to turn down evenly (unless any one has any tricks for this), but they look OK on my Lotus 19. I also saw some very good Lotus wheels on the BWA site.
By the way, you can get some incredibly hot HO motors, like the diddy Pink Kar ones but plenty fast, from the US.

Strangely strange but oddly normal.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE With the greatest respect....

...and not before time htx. Prepare the pods and my peoples will spare your track when they arrive to your planet in their 1/32 jefferson starships

Thanks for the tips too by the way guys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts