SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a look at this:-

This racking comes in various sizes. The pic shows 2000mm by 400mm by 1000mm

Its is possible to get 2300mm by 1200mm shelving with the smallest frame being 2000mm high which could be cut in half to give a table height of 1000.

Two tables of th above dimensions will give just about the right amount of room I am planning for my layout (an L shape).

Altogether it would cost me about £115 including the frames, beams and 18mm chipboard base - this is assuming I purchase 1 set of 2000mm frames and cut them in half. I haven't priced up building the tables out of wood but I would imagine it may well be cheaper.

Another concern is that the layout is going to be in my loft so weight is an issue. I'm not too sure how heavy the tables would be if using this racking. I'm wondering if they might actually be lighter than building them out of wood considering wood needs much more frame work under the main board to be sturdy. The chipboard would be the same weight assuming I used the same thickness so its just a question of how heavy the frame would be.

What do you think?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think they should work - though sounds a bit of work cutting them up extra.

Have you though of getting some Trestle's from the DIY centre (v.cheap if you
get the plastic ones) and then some sheets of wood - volia instant large
table.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the risk of sounding a bit thick, what are trestles?

Would they take the weight of the track and probably me to whilst building up the scenery. (10 stone in wet clothes)

My main concern is weight being in the loft stood on ceiling joists not floor joists.

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (ScoobyDriver @ 26 Oct 2004, 10:37)At the risk of sounding a bit thick, what are trestles?

Would they take the weight of the track and probably me to whilst building up the scenery. (10 stone in wet clothes)

My main concern is weight being in the loft stood on ceiling joists not floor joists.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try this link Trestles

They can easily hold you , just depends on the weight of your base board if you
can be standing of top of that as well - as for the ceiling joists the can take ALOT of weight - basic rule of thumb if you can lift it then its ok.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good ideas. Waddell (manufacturer) also makes a set of fold up legs you can bolt on to any ply wood and BOING!! a table. Reinforce with a 2x4 and it holds all manner of goodies.

I have the fold up legs in case I need to put the whole works away at times.

Maltese

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Swiss Race Bahns 'Mugello' is held up on just trestles. Works more than fine and gives a (IMO) great track table height of 750mm.
The only adaption we needed to do was screw solid legs at the two rear corners of the board and fix those to the floor. This only because the whole construction moved when pushed or clipped by a panicky racer who had just deslotted at the rear of the track

·
Registered
300 Posts
Another great idea - wallpapering tables , check these out :

B&Q Wall paper tables

£25 each , couple of them side by side might be just the ticket - all depends on how
big your track is going to be.

Longer I would recommend using three trestles for the width then use as many
sets back as you need for depth.
But if you can get away with just two of these - alot simpler !

I have seen in my local rag some guy selling two old ones for £4 !

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts