SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody.
I regard my self as a newcommer to the hobby since I restarted 14 months ago, after 35 years.
I decided to go digital on a permanent layout. I started with the 4 cars PB and soon (7 months ago) I purchased the APB C7042. Setting up the layout, I used it many times running up to 2 or 3 cars. I also purchesed a second PSU and everything seemed to be OK. 10 days ago with friends, we spent 2 hours racing 4 + 1 pacer cars . Once the PB turned to SAFE. I removed the cars and restarted. All OK. Last week when i gave power to the PB it went directly to SAFE. I checkd the track for shorts but nothing. I removed the PB from the layout and powerd but again went directly on SAFE. I replaced the old 4 cars PB on the layout and everything is OK. Still the APB starts on SAFE.
Has anybody any idea what may have gone wrong, or how can i reset the APB ?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum .........

Sounds like you did the right things and isolated the fault to the C7042. I would give it a jolly good going over with the hoover as it is possible that a whisker of a braid is lodged in there; look especially around the sensors, there are four of them where the holes in the track are.

If that doesn't fix it, carefully remove the base and check for any loose or dodgy looking connections.

If the base is less than a year old then return it back to Scalextric for a replacement; they are normally very good about these sort of things.

All the best - Greg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for info Greg.
I will give it one more try with the vacum and check connections tonight.
I called Scalextric customers service three days ago and I am waiting for an answer.
The problem is that i like the C7042 options very much and now with the old 4 car PB I do not enjoy.

All the best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Reiner,
I have removed the APB from the track and it still goes on SAFE. I contrary the old 4 car PB in placed in layout and goes Ok.
I will try Greg ' s suggestion and see what happens.
I am afraid the issue is iside the APB electronic circuit. I understand that there is a fuse that protects the APB and goes to SAFE mode. I beleive the problem is there. The fuse "stuck" and can not be reset.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Administrator
10,157 Posts
There is no fuse inside that causes it to go to safe mode - there is a current monitor that puts it in safe mode if the current draw is too great. It sounds like you have a failure of the power circuitry. I agree with reiner send it back. That will be the first power section failure worldwide, the circuit is well over designed so I would suspect a faulty component. Send it back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you RikoRocket.
I have started communication with Scalextric Customer Service and I am waiting for instructions.
They requested firmware number, that is 0085 and I believe it is the last one.
As you say, perhaps I am the lucky one to receive the first power section with a faulty comonent.
I will inform you for any progress. Untill then I have to return to 4 car PB and wait.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So finally after a few mails with Scalextric customer's service, I was instructed to send it back.
They will also attempt to contact all customers of this eventuality, based on the information off the traceability label.
I hope that my issue will be solved.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade the firmware ....... the official Hornby one is v0.85, the latest one is v1.09

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
quite right, sorry ......... in the mean time I will wait almost patiently for the T-Pro upgrade

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
sorry about the thread hijack
.......... try here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 14 Mar 2012, 19:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No, let him get it working first! One step at a time

Hello to all members and admin, I have a problem with a C7042 and wasnt sure where to post...

After purchasing a brand new boxed and sealed c7042 from amazon I arrived home from work on friday to find it sat waiting for me. I had already received the riko rocket usb lead earlier in the week along with another C7024 transformer in preparation for this moment. so I proceeded to the custom loft layout I have been building over the past few weeks and sat down with the pc to get started.
After a failed attempt to install the usb lead on an old vista system I managed to get everything working on my windows 10 laptop success! After updating the PB firmware to 1.09 I connected to rcs64 with no problem then registered for full version. Everything seemed to be working as it should and I was enjoying getting to grips with the pace car features.

The next morning (today) I was keen to get back to it so up in the loft I went and everything fired up fine, I was testing an unrecorded pace car when I noticed all of the 6 red lights along the top of the PB were flashing however the car was still receiving power and driving around the track. I swithed the testing off and removed the car however the lights continued to flash I checked the track for shorts
but found nothing obvious so I thought oh il just remove the power cables and try and see if a reboot fixes it. on reinserting the power cables the 6 red lights continued to flash as soon as I plugged it in. the connection to rcs64 has been lost since I removed the power cables and no matter what I do I cant seem to get it back. there is a solid green light on the pb which is constant.

things I have tried

both transformers (one at a time)
resetting pb and updating firmware
holding down the enter button
disconnecting apb from rest of track
plugged in to the lcd screen which I didnt even bother using the first time around and now only powers up for a second before going very faint

from what I have already found on the internet I am expecting to have to send it back for replacment, but something tells me there isnt anything seriously wrong with it maybe its out of sequence or something? could it be the USB lead? what else is worth trying? if I could re-establish the connection between RCS64 to APB I think it would sort itself out.

thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
The powerbase is shorting out. The most likely cause are small whiskers of braid lodged in the track. Get the vacuum cleaner out and run it over all the lanes slowly and carefully.

If that does not work, separate the APB from your track and power it up. If the lights do not start to flash then the problem is within the track not the APB. Then let us know what happened ........ good luck .....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts