SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded the firmware in my 7042 to version 1.08 - all appeared to go well: opening port, ID, programming, done , closing port.

Depowered APB, unplugged USB from PC, unplugged APB end of cable. Then to confirm version - plugged in display, plugged power into APB... A brief flash on the display which faded before any of the version data or mode info...and nothing.

All I get is the fan, no power to the rails, no car recognition... Just fan noise.

Tried redoing the programming sequence, but I don't even get the lights at the start to say its ready to accept programming.
Tried programming anyway - open port, looking for ID, close port... Nothing!

Help! Please.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
The fact that you get no lights when trying to repeat the programming means that it doesn't get as far as trying to load the bootloader. As the upgrade tool ensures that you cannot overwrite the bootloader, it would suggest that your powerbase has a more fundamental problem. Hopefully it is still under warranty and you can take it back to your retailer.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Boy Racer, doesn't sound too good. I also had a problem but different I think. Anyway just in case it helps:

When I did the flash I had the SCS wireless receiver plugged in to the APB but not powered up. After flashing, the APB wouldn't work properly (can't remember what but I think the buttons didn't do anything) till I plugged in a wired controller, but that was all confused by the 1.08 tower display gremlins - so I'm not sure if it was a problem or not. Anyway, it's just a thought as you have the wireless system as well.

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my APB back from scaley yesterday - replaced under warranty. So I am a happy bunny once more.

Credit to scaley for their product/warranty support.

Will now have to upgrade it and get back up to speed...

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Andrew,
Good to hear this - presumably that's Hornby in Australia. I'm still waiting for a reply from the Hornby UK on my analogue mode problem so I hope I get the same service although it is out of warranty.

Anyway, do you think the firmware flashing had anything to do with the APB failure or was it just a coincidence?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm no expert on the electronic side of things, but I suspect that something went wrong during the process, or immediately after it. I don't see how the firmware itself could have anything to do with it (and no none else appears to have had the same issue)- RichG or awallace could probably answer that better.

As the APB has been replaced, I have no way of knowing what actually was wrong with it...

Good luck with yours.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cable I used was one from Riko, which I had successfully used to upgrade previously.

Is there any risk of a repeat? Can the cable develop a fault? Can I test it some way?

Cheers

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts