SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a completely stock layout of APB and created a simple oval to test things out with my new APB. I've been doing a few F1 style races and have correctly set up a Pace car (which can randomly change lanes) thanks to Mr. Flippant's videos. I'm finding that in some cases (for example a race of just 22 laps) the Pace car can sometimes be '-7' laps in the final standings although I have certainly not lapped the car that much (if at all).

Now I typically get this behaviour when my car is doing a lane change and the Pace car is right behind me and then follows me to the other lane. Obviously I need to switch off lane changing for the Pace car as part of my testing BUT I would expect that the Pace wouldn't always follow me but it does!! This then seems to result in a lap not being counted for the Pace car (I need to do some more testing tonight) but I don't recall getting the 'lap' beep when the Pace car goes over the PB.

So could the Pace car follow me through a XLC even though it hasn't requested a lane change? If it does an 'unauthorised' lap change could this result in not adding a lap since it is going over the wrong PB lane / sensor (clearly I don't really know much about the tech so I'm guessing!!!)

Thanks

Adam

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
Adam,

There are some strange lap counting anomalies related to lane changing in the early code of the APB. If you're thinking about computer control at some point, get yourself a PC cable from RichG or RikoRocket, and use it to update the firmware in the base. If that doesn't interest you, I bet you could send your APB to someone nearby, or meetup with them to get help upgrading the firmware. The latest version is much more reliable.

As for following your car through, it's probably just randomly doing it. I've had times where a "random" lane change resulted in nearly constant lane changing. Also, if the car is right up on your rail, then the delay for the flipper will not be quick enough, and the following car will follow you through. This is true if you're following a pacer or any other car as well. To make sure you don't follow them through, back off a few inches.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I thought the 'follow through' was probably related to being too close but as it seemed to affect lap counting I thought I should mention it. I've only done some limited testing and it was only when I was doing lots of lane changes did I ever get a problem with counting of laps for the pace car. I am keen on trying out the computer controlled stuff as I would like to be able to add names and keep history of track times etc but that works out at around £60 which could be spent on cars / track / scenery at the moment.

Do you know if there are any screen shots of the sort of data held with SSDC? I've seen a couple of video on the web site but nothing of it in use / how it looks etc.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
The early version of the firmware within the APB use the both sets of sensors to count laps. The 1st sensor registered that a car had passed and the 2nd one would identify the car. Both sensors use different techniques to analyse the data and this has proved to be a source of problems. Andrew Wallace of SSDC fame also writes the firmware for the APB, in the latest version he removed the optical sensor from the equation and only used one of the sensors. This has improved the lap counting considerably.

So if you are using the original firmware 0.85 then you will certainly get problems with cars traveling very close together and lap counting.

What would you like to know about the data within SSDC? It is possible to extract data from the database and peruse it within a spreadsheet program.

·
Greg Gaub
14,672 Posts
Get the cable first. Upgrade your firmware, then spend all the time you need testing out all the different RMS applications. RCS64 has a free version that might be all you need, or SSDC will fit the bill. You won't know until you try them, and there's no urgency in making a choice and paying. At least this way, you get the latest firmware to eliminate known issues, and can upgrade any time there is a new version.

I believe there are screen shots of SSDC on the site, ssdc.jackaments.com
Also check out Race Coordinator Digital, Race Control System 64, and PC Lap Counter.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Be wary Adam ...... there are two types of SSDC cable available and they are not compatible. One is for the old 6-car PB and the one is for the newer APB or C7042.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips.

A bit disappointing that the basic configuration just doesn't work. Tonight I'm going to see if I can reproduce the problem, then apply the XLC fix (as my set is quite old) and test. Then move the XLC to the opposite side of the oval, and test. Then change the pace car, and test. Finally I'll probably order the cable.

·
Administrator
10,110 Posts
Adam, if its not beeping as you cross the line then its not counting. But although the guys are right about the counting algorithm I would expect your driven car to have missed roughly the same.
So if its not that then could it be something else? The guide blade on the pace car must be a black one not an earlier blue one. Check the guide blade sits low enough in the slot. Maybe put a pencil under the track at the exit side of the powerbase so that there is a very slight rise - this will have the effect of forcing the guide blade in deeply to ensure the lap gets counted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From memory it was only beeping once (when my car went over) which was always the first car. I tried the same trick with two manual cars but it was hard to maintain speeds and I didn't get the same problem but don't feel that it was a good test really.

I don't have any new braids (they are all black round things that just come off at an angle as such) but will try the pencil trick. I have a std straight between my XLC and PB so I assume the car is hitting the sensor straight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My testing tonight didn't really find anything. I did discover that my lap times with 3 different cars can be affected quite badly when going through my XLC. Typically I might get 3seconds for my oval, after going through the XLC I might jump to 7 minutes or something, then even higher for the second lap before dropping back to around 3 seconds. The problem would come and go and the last thing I did was quickly blow away dust or dirt but then couldn't reproduce the problem. Will try again tomorrow night.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
Lighting also can play havoc with the sensers,so if the apb is directly under a light fitting this can force some strange behaviour.

Whilst running mine over the weekend the sun crept round and suddenly 5 cars had entered the pitlane and one of the xlc was having a fit,just moving the curtains slightly retuned everything to normal.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
When I was undertaking early alpha testing on RichG's Display-Pro box, I tested with the APB set to 0.85 firmware and ran the system under some very strong fluorescent lighting and managed to record some dreadful lap counting and other bizarre artifacts. Flashing the APB to v1.09 fixed it beautifully.

It has been mentioned before but you can see the light emitted from an IR LED with a digital camera and depending on the LED, it can be seen with the naked eye as a very dark and dim red ......

·
Administrator
10,110 Posts
QUOTE (Adam George @ 3 Oct 2012, 20:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My testing tonight didn't really find anything. I did discover that my lap times with 3 different cars can be affected quite badly when going through my XLC. Typically I might get 3seconds for my oval, after going through the XLC I might jump to 7 minutes or something, then even higher for the second lap before dropping back to around 3 seconds. The problem would come and go and the last thing I did was quickly blow away dust or dirt but then couldn't reproduce the problem. Will try again tomorrow night.

Adam,

Do the XLC mod per my thread "DPR-the solution", get a cable and do the 1.09 upgrade then start to enjoy life

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Hi Adam,
There are at least two Forum members near you in the Slough/Windsor area, it might be worth dropping them a PM to see if they can re-flash your APB. They are Wraith and Keeto. At the top of your screen, just under the advert banner, is a button marked Members click on it and you should be able locate them and send a message ....

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
i think Keeto is or has moved country again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks.

I thought I posted a response but clearly not!!!

Yesterday I did do the XLC modification but only at the exits, will be doing the centre bit this evening and then some more testing. The strange lap times seems to be an issue for a number of people that is then resolved in 1.09. I do feel that the XLC plays a significant role as problems only occur (for me) after I have changed lane. I will probably get the software updated any way as I'm keen to look at computer control for some races but probably not until the New Year.

Still all good fun.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
What chips are you using? If it is DPR then check that you have the latest version, Rev G, the older Rev F was a nightmare.

View attachment 10453

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Greg,

No idea about chips. I got three low detail Boxsters in a used digital set. Might pop the lid off to take a look but don't know what I'm looking for. Inox Mx3 stuff arrived today so while I'm not having any problems with running will apply some tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi adam
the boxsters wont be a problem ,
its the newer cars which greg is talking about they have a trap door under car which you replace with a chipped trapped door
led showing to tell the difference the older ones were a pain I have got 12 new one and have been no problem at all.
regards ade.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
so it has to be the old'e splayed braids that are causing some of the problems.

Keeping them neat and tidy up along side the guide flag is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts