SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Alfie Noakes
2,654 Posts
Dear All,
My Mac laptop has finally given up after 7 years of sterling service, so I've decided to replace it with... another Mac, obviously.

The new one is an Intel Mac, which has got me a bit excited as I believe I can either start up & run Windows using Boot Camp, or can run a Windows emulator (Virtual Machine) using Parallels Desktop. I don't know much about either, but I'm hoping this means I can run track planning software (Track Power/Ultimate Racer), and also get the opportunity to use SSDC with my Scalextric APB too.
So here's some questions, and if anyone has experience I'd love to hear it.

1. Running Windows on Mac using Boot Camp... any good?
2. Running Windows on Mac using Parallels Desktop... any good?
3. Anyone had success running TP and/or UR3 using either of the above?
4. Will SSDC run using either of the above?

I'd also like to run a couple of 2D & 3D CAD applications too, probably Techsoft 2D & Rhino, again, any experience of this would be a big help. 'Get a PC' isn't an option I'm afraid, so I'm hoping to avoid the usual Mac vs PC discussion if at all possible!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,904 Posts
1. Running Windows on Mac using Boot Camp... any good?
Crappy - just like running on a PC
but seriously - it just turns your Mac into a PC - maybe with some extras - I don't use it

2. Running Windows on Mac using Parallels Desktop... any good?
Fine works like a PC and you get to keep your Mac as well - I use it I need to upgrade as the newer is meant to be a lot quicker.

3. Anyone had success running TP and/or UR3 using either of the above?
You can run UR3 but the issue might be connecting it to timing hardware - I don't know of a USB interface - there is a Mac program Race Manager X which might be better - if you want it for track planning it should work fine

4. Will SSDC run using either of the above?

No experience with this sorry

cheers
DM

My Powerbook is still going strong but my Macbook Pro stopped working after 3.5 years and then my daughter iMac played up also 3 years old - I was very sad and disappointed as most of my older Macs are still running - and these were both Intel Macs - Apple tried to fix the iMac (under warranty) but couldn't so they gave her a new one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run about 20 programs on boot camp. There is no reason that SSDC would not work on Boot Camp. I does just turn your mac into a pc, just because it runs on a mac does not make it run any better. If you have not run windows in a while it will reinforce to you why you spent so much on the mac, sucks that you have 2 that S#$* the bed. I am running the first macbook they made with intel and it runs as good as it did the day I bought it, 5 years later.

·
Registered
124 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 29 Dec 2010, 07:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm pretty sure that there are some folk using SSDC under parallels desktop. Hopefully someone will confirm this.

I have run SSDC under VmWare Fusion (similar to Parallels) on a MacBook Pro and a MacPro without any problems. Works well.

I am working on a native Mac app that will be similar in functionality to SSDC for the Advanced PB. I have it driving 6 cars and have variable brakes working but that is about it so far. Still working out the interface and race format details. I keep going back and forth with ideas that get scrapped. Obviously a long way to go.

Dale

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been running SSDC on a Mac with Parallels and Windows XP. It works fine.

But I noticed that SSDC only installs and works fine when it is installed on Windows drives and folders, and not virtual folders. So I had to move the installation files to C:\ in order to insall. Installing from the Windows Desktop doesn't work.

Best regards

Sean

·
Alfie Noakes
2,654 Posts
Hi All,
Sorry I kind of neglected this thread a bit...
Thanks very much to all of you for your valuable opinions. Looks like Parallels Desktop might be the way to go, as this allows me access to Track Power and SSDC, while keeping my mac as maccy as possible.
Since starting this thread I've had a bit of experience of both and I'm quite excited!
I've got a copy of Parallels 6 and Windows XP so I'll let you know how I get on with SSDC and TP.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am planning to buy Parallels, install it on my Macbook Air, then download Scalextric digital console (SSDC) V5.
Should this work?
What cable do I need to plug my MacBook Air to the advanced powerbase (C7042)?

Thank you

Carlos

·
Administrator
10,493 Posts
The normal cable should work OK, the only question is whether software designed for Windows will work perfectly on a Mac simulating Windows

·
Alfie Noakes
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Carlos,
Since asking the original question, I've been using Parallels Desktop in my mac for various things, including Track Power & SSDC with (Riko's cable), and not had a single problem.
Just to clarify, once you get Parallels Desktop you will also need a copy of windows for it to run. I use XP, and it's been fine. Let us know how you get on.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone used the iPad (extra screen) together with SSDC running on a Mac (with parallels / Fusion / Bootcamp) ?? It would be great to have the iPad (as its light & easily removable) on the track...

Best regards from a new member in Sweden,
//Val

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Val

I use the "my Mac" app on my iPad to both control my Mac and to provide a remote screen for running SSDC.

The app replicates the screen of my Mac and allows touch control. There may be better solutions, depending on what you need, but this works for me.

Cheers

Andrew

PS: I have seen other discussions about iPad apps and SSDC and remote screens, so a search may reveal more useful information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.