SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About myself :
Male, 55 years old, living in Denmark. I have been running SSD, first with the 4-car pb, and with C7042 from when it came out. I have used SSDC, PClapcounter and mostly RCS64. I participate in testing RCS64, and now RCS-O2. I have a track consisting of 2 x 2 lanes with pits on each track. The track is designed for oxigen, as a 4 lane track, with 2 double pitlanes - with the RMS on a projector on the wall - watch my gallery. I am a hobbyist, trying to share my hobby with other people. Me and my group run almost every brand of cars, mostly slot.it, NSR, scalextric, pioneer and BRM.

Text below is based on firsthand impression. There may be features I have not found out or have misunderstood, so it is not neccesarily the absolute truth. Review is far from complete, but I thought some of you were curious.

I may have focused on things, that are more important to me, than to you.

I am not going to describe every apspect of the manual or the software

There are a few pictures in my personal ARC PRO gallery

Package contains :
Manual
1 Powerbase - one full straight trackpiece with a Big ugly print "ARCPRO"
1 Powersuppy - same as for C7042
2 controllers (No batteries )
1 tablet stand
4 additional wristbands for controllers with colours matchning ports on powerbase

Download Scalextric ARC app from Google or Apple to your preferred tablet

Pairing C8435 to Android tablet/phone - easy

Pairing C8435 to Ipad/Iphone - easy

Are there any differences in the APP on the platforms Android/Apple - they Seem very like. I have not found differences yet.

Pairing controller to Powerbase - easy

Programming car with correct ID - easy

Running direction - laps are only counted if running direction is right to left !!!!

Track power measured to 16 volts AC
USB port is marked on the powerbase, but there is no explanation of the use.

Race in digital mode
Pit stop without sensors - Laps cannot be added after Pitlane use
Tyre wear and fuel is calculated after passing start/finish

Switch to Analog - there is a switch on the side of the c8235 to enable analog
Needed number of powersupplys to run 2 analog cars at the same time ? I Forgot this - will check tomorrow.

Race in analog mode

Like on c7042 - use the two first controller ports
The APP seems to recognice the powerbase as an ARC AIR, when in analog mode. This modifies the possibilities in the APP.

Controllers : The new wireless controllers are more comfortable than the old wired ones. There is rumble for some occasions.

Other compatible hardware :

Controllers :
I have two Arc air controllers with the slot.it oxigen firmware installed : Lanechange button is not working with ARC Pro. LC Works in oxigenmode. slot.it must solve this !

Slot.it scp-1 or scp-2 controllers with special firmware - update via bootloader - not tested yet.

Coming hardware : Slot.it SCP-3 controller - will be able to run ARC PRO and/or Oxigen with the installed firmware

Connect your tablet to large screens :
Ipad : connected to vga display. Arc App Will only show in portrait mode.It is useable on a large screen - but one person must have the responsibility of activating "yellow flag"

Android : i have an android tablet with a micro hdmi output. I have connected it to a 32" tv and it squzes the app on the screen. I Think it Will be useable, Will test later. Must be the same "yellow flag" situation as with ipad.

Conclusion :
Is c8235 better than c7042 ? YES, it is a lot better. But the APP software can be a lot better. I have not seen any faults in the software.

Will C8235 replace c7042 in my track ? NO, not now. The app functionality is not good enough. I have used c7042 and rcs64 for years, and enjoy how i am able to customize the software, and make races that we all like.
Arc Pro app with the very linear fuelburn and tyrewear, is not good enough as it is. When fuel is loaded to 100% you Can run 10 laps and Then you have to pit, and change tyres and load fuel.
I Think it Will be No problem for scalextric to upgrade the app, with better possibilities for tyrewear and fuelburn. Tyres should last, at least, two full loads of fuel, before it is neccessary to change.
There might be features, that I am not aware of, or not have found yet ! If anyone knows how to modify fuel to a limit where you do not have to pit in every 10 laps, please let me know.

The ARC PRO Platinum sets with 4 cars and controllers, will be the best ever, scalextric boxed set, to be sold. with lapcounting and multiple raceformats and many joys of digital. I really hope for scalextric, and our hobby, that ARC PRO will bring a lot of new people to our hobby.

ARC Pro is very promising - I really hope Scalextric will step up on the software for us hobbyist, or that some 3.party develper will make a proper RMS.

Questions and comments are welcome. I will try to answer questions as good as I can.

Best regards & happy racing

Ivan K.

·
Prof I T
11,200 Posts
Hi
friend got the same pinched screen running in arc air mode, so near yet so far, great to read about the ease of setup and use, the fact everything pairs up with ease has to be applauded
clap.gif

If it had the right app it would be there, same for the new chip, again supply the goods but leave the plug off on the chip for the light output , let's hope future high detail cars come with the lighting looms fully wired and the chip has the needed plugs fitted.

Great write up
thumbsup.gif

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Controllers :

I have two Arc air controllers with the slot.it oxigen firmware installed : Lanechange button is not working with ARC Pro. LC Works in oxigenmode.
Could you expand on this please? ..... how do you achieve O2 mode?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GregK - firmware have been available on slot.it download for quite some time, as well as instructions on how to load the firmware into the controllers. When firmware is loaded, there is a procedure for pairing oxigen-cipped car to controller. It is easy and it works. The cars and controllers can be seen in the chrone application, as well as in rcs-O2 - there are some dynamic breaking and things are good, but break-button does nothing. I hope slot.it will update the firmware.

Slot.it have release firmware for scp1 & scp2 controllers, to use them with c8235 - I have not tried this yet. You will have to reload firmware when you want to switch system.

slot.it scp3 controllers wil work as oxigen controllers as well as arc pro controllers, with the installed firmware.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Ivan please correct me if I am wrong ........ I think you are saying that a Scalextric Arc controller re-flashed with O2 firmware will work with the Arc-Pro.

How does oxigenmode mode work? ........ I do not understand.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GregK - I assumed it Would work. Basically arc air and arc Pro controllers are the same. I have drilled a hole in the arc air controllers, formue button to the lc, and loaded the special slot.it Oxigen firmware for this specific controllertype.
I paired the arc air, now oxigen, controller to a oxigen chipped car and all was working, except the brakebutton. Afterwards i paired the same controller to the arc air Powerbase, and checked if i could make the motor run. It worked.
These controllers i have, successfully, paired to arc Pro Powerbase. Only the lanechange does not work.

Slot.it have made the wireless firmware for scalextric, i assume they know what they are doping.

We should be able to load the slot.it firmware into the arc Pro controllers and use these as oxigen controllers. Slot.it Maurizio have Stated this !

·
ParrotGod
9,314 Posts
Hmm, crappy app as I was expecting. I wonder how long it will take for someone to reverse engineer the android app: once you are able to identify the core code for communicating with the powerbase, the rest of the GUI/RMS should be customisable.

The controllers sound interesting: cheap alternatives for the scp.

So Ivan, the arc controller with the original firmare works ok (brake button and lane changer.

When you put the oxigen firmware then:

- when paired with an oxigen chip, the car can lane change but the brake button does nothing

- when paired with the arc pro base, the lane changer button does not work (no lane changing).

is that correct?

One more question: can you flash back the original scalex firmware to the controllers?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grunz : Your observations regarding the controllers are correct.

Except, which I have not mentioned, in oxigenmode both buttons works as LC

I have not loaded slot.it firmware into any of the new arc pro controllers, because of the problems with the arc air controllers - these controllers are basically the same !!

I do not know if the scalex firmware is available anywhere - i would not expect so. I hope slot.it will release a working firmware. I can still use these controllers for oxigen :-D

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Thanks Gysse, good write up compared to the first Scaley digital setup I bought 10 years ago this sounds lights years ahead, so great for new entrants.

Compared to the digital setup I now have it sounds pretty basic and toyish as we were expecting.

I will watch with interest if any of the guru's attepmt any hardware/software upgrades.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding analog. I have just run with a car in each Lane, with just one powersupply. This is different for c7042 where you needed two powersupplys to run a car in each Lane. Two powersupplys might be better but it is working with only one.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hi Gysse, Many thanks for the write up.
thumbsup.gif
I wonder why they arrived in Denmark first.

Does it have fan and how noisy is it compared to the C7042? Does it also reduce speed in analogue mode?

You say it only counts laps left to right in digital. Does it use 2 sets of sensors like the c7042 with the original firmware?

How is the pit stop signalled if it doesn't need sensors?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris :
No noise, No fan.
Counting laps there are two sensors very very close to each other on the marked finishline. Not like 7042 !
Pit stop are triggere by Holding Down the brakebutton. You need to hold it Down until you want to drive again. You do not need to load 100% fuel. Tyres Will need to load completely, but you can not specifikt fuel or tyre, its always both.

I am not sure what you mean with reducer speed in analog ? I put the base into analog mode, started a race, and run some laps. I took of the car and pulled the speeder completely, and I could measure 11,5 volts DC on the track, in this Lane. Is this what you were asking for ?

My testtrack is just a simple oval with 8xr2 and 2 x 3,5 straights, so i dont get to High speed, at the moment.

Let me know if i have answered all you wanted to know .

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Thanks.

No noise, No fan.
I'm very happy to hear that it is silent.

I was asking about the reduced speed of the fan but that is not relevant now

Counting laps there are two sensors very very close to each other on the marked finishline. Not like 7042 !
Does one sensor detect the guide blade and the other the LED like the APB? If that's the case then we will have problems again with translucent blades like the coloured ones
sad.png

Analogue @11.5volts is probably about the same as the APB. Could you try a non Scalextric car, like Ninco or NSR to see if you get any speed pulsing at max throttle in analogue (holding the back wheels off the track).

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the two sensors I think is for digital - I cannot see how else the powerbase should recognize the running direction !

I am not sure how analog are triggered - will take a look after work......

Will also check for pulsing later........

I am not sure I have any guides other than black, but i will check analog later also.

BTW : I have noticed a little delay from car passes start/finish and a sound is heard before lap shows on APP

·
ParrotGod
9,314 Posts
Interesting about the delay for the lap to show up in the app. Might be something similar to oXigen where the dongle asks for the data from the controllers?

In this case, the app/tablet acts as a dongle asking the data from the power base.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I am not sure what you mean with reducer speed in analog ? I put the base into analog mode, started a race, and run some laps. I took of the car and pulled the speeder completely, and I could measure 11,5 volts DC on the track, in this Lane. Is this what you were asking for ?
I am assuming in analog mode this is the same as ARC AIR. In ARC AIR you can go into the car and adjust max power and acceleration.

The sensors are most likely IR sensors so a black blades may be a must.

The way it works on ARC AIR is the car passes the sensor on the right and if it stops (or goes very very slowly) it starts the pit functions (It tested the by pushing the car by hand). The lap only counts once the car passes the sensor on the left.

The system also times from when the car passes the left and re hits the right for its statistics. The sounds triggered always happen after the car passes the left sensor. There is a slight delay but this could be related to the hardware used.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
the two sensors I think is for digital - I cannot see how else the powerbase should recognize the running direction !

I am not sure how analog are triggered - will take a look after work......
If I remember rightly, on the APB one set of sensors is a slotted sensor where the guide flag breaks a beam (same in Arc Air). This is used for analogue lap counting,. Also, on the Scalextric 0.85 firmware, it is also used for digital lap counting in combination with the other sensor (phototransistor) which reads the IR LED in the car chip.

Andrew Wallace's firmwares 1.05+ removed the guide sensor reading in digital mode, so that the photransistor sensor alone reads the ID# and also triggers a lap count.

I think the translucent guides caused some problems, but also if the car had a shallow guide and was lifting out of the slot over the slotted beam due to hard acceleration or a bump just before.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I looks like the sensors for analog, on ARC Pro, are the same as on ARC Air powerbase. I am not sure about all those sensor types :)

I have an analog carrera car with a red guide. No problem with lap counting in analog mode. I have no blue guides.....................and I dont want any :)

Regarding pulsing. I took an avantslot audi, which probably is one ot the hottest motored analog cars I have. I am not sure if there is pulsing or not. There might be adjustment neccessary to the throttleprofile, for this car, to drive smooth. It needed quite a lot of trigger before the motor started to spin at higher speed. I was a little short on time, during these test, so I will try again, probably during the weekend.

By the way : I have noticed 2 smal dip switches below the powerbase. Someone have mentioned to me, that these swithces are to change the id of the base, so you can have more powerbases active at the same time, in the same room. This could be a problem with wireless controllers, if this possibility was not there. But we are guessing.........................

1 - 20 of 211 Posts