SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 211 Posts

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Looking at the circuit board it looks unlikely that it could work in the opposite direction. As it stands. No reason why it couldn't work like we changed the C7042 to, i.e. just looking for ID signals, no blade sensing. For the sake of soldering a couple of wires it seems an easy way out.

The lanes must be bridged for digital running, I think you are safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Gysse,

I was just wondering if you could let me know what's the smallest space any of the recommended layouts can fit in?

I'm hoping to be able to fit it in a 9x5 space (table tennis table), so any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
The lanes must be bridged for digital running, I think you are safe.
I mainly ask because it would appear that some APBs have faulty relays that cause it to go into SAFE mode when there are crossies (and unmodified CLCs) in the track. I had one APB that was fine at first, and decided to play up in that way after some time. Since this base has a hardware switch for analog versus digital, maybe it's an actual hard switch, rather than a relay... or it's a switch that controls a relay... hence my concern. I'll definitely post an update with what happens when I get it into my track.

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
I was just wondering if you could let me know what's the smallest space any of the recommended layouts can fit in?
I'm hoping to be able to fit it in a 9x5 space (table tennis table), so any advice will be appreciated.
As Gysse said, there are a lot of options, not just the recommended layouts. Usually, though, you'll need to buy some more pieces to make something work, if not a pack or two of different turns, then a pack or two of short straights or something to make ends meet. Don't be afraid to experiment. There are also a lot of ideas out there for layouts you can use (and get the missing pieces for), or download a track planner such as Ultimate Racer 3 and play with ideas virtually. Your best bet is to start a new thread in the Tracks and Scenery forum with a list of what you have, the space you have available, and what kind of track you're going for (the most possible track in the space, something that races well, something with a pit lane, etc...). People will chime in with links and photos to ideas, or respond to suggestions for improvement on ideas others have posted... It's all a lot of fun. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies; I've got the set on order & cant wait! I haven't been able to find a parts list for the track that comes with it, so can't play around with planned layouts yet.

To be honest, my first spending will be on 2 extra cars & 2 more controllers so I can get as many friends joining the fun as possible. As a newbie to Scalextric I don't have any other bits - my other slot car history was Aurora back in the 80's!!

Have learnt so much from the Forum already, so thanks everyone for sharing so much knowledge.

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
Thanks for the replies; I've got the set on order & cant wait! I haven't been able to find a parts list for the track that comes with it, so can't play around with planned layouts yet.
Based on the set I have, the C1374T ARC Pro Platinum GT set includes the following track:

x1 ARC Pro power base (1 full straight in length)
x4 Full Straight
x4 Half Straight
x3 Grid Straight
x2 90-degree R2 turns
x8 45-degree R2 turns (standard turns)
x2 Quarter Straight
x9 Single Lane Half Straight
x1 Right Hand Pit Set (in and out pieces)
x2 Straight Lane Changers (XLC)
x2 Long Bridge Straights (full + 3x1/3 (elevated crossover) straights in length)

I hope that helps you get started on ideas! :)

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I had started the upload before bed last night.
smile.png

Probably too late for most people reading this message, but fair warning to those with motion sickness while watching videos. This one is POV with the camera on my head, and it even goes upside-down a couple times. ;-)

Also, unscripted and unedited.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
UK delivery date on the Scalextric site has slipped back to December
sad.png

Yellow flag triggering on the tablet jars with the wireless controller freedom unless there's a way to trigger it from the controllers.

Did you manage to figure out if you can run more than one pace car and tune the spped of each one?

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
I'm still trying too figure out pace cars but it appears to be that the answer to that is no. It could be done the old fashioned way though.

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
Yeah, sorry about that, mate. Hopefully it didn't bother you too much. :\

I think I figured out Pace Cars. Essentially, it's a lap or time limited head-to-head race between your chosen car (based on controller ID) and any of the other cars. Literally nothing else.

Whichever car you choose, it must be the only controller turned on/active. If more than one controller is active, the app will force the lowest ID to be the one for the human to control. For example, if I have controllers 2 and 4 turned on, and I want to use controller 4 for the car on ID 4, I can't do that until I turn OFF controller 2. The lowest ID# will ALWAYS be the human driven car. All others will be the pace car. You can watch this in action prior to the race because the border of the driver info box (top and left sides of box) will be the color of the controller # that it has defaulted to. It took me a bit to figure this out, and I thought at first that only ID 1 could ever be the human driven car, because it was always turned on while I was testing.

When you set up the pace car speed, any other ID'd car on the track will move at that speed. It doesn't matter if it's a car on #2 or #5 or whatever. This also means that multiple cars can be used as pace car traffic, but there won't be much of a race because EACH car will count a lap for the "Pace Car". You can't possibly win against more than one pace car, since it will count laps 2-5 times faster than you can. I could not find a way to disable lap counts, or to have pace cars individually calibrated and counted. I don't see why the app can't be updated in the future with those abilities, though.

Now, there appears to be a bug that crashes the app any time you disable the first driver in your list, which you might want to do in order to choose a different driver as the one you'll be controlling. The app won't allow any other driver to be turned on (only one human driver for Pace Car mode, remember?), but I'm betting that's only until the currently enabled driver is DISabled... but the crash prevents me from finding out if that's their intention. This happens on both devices I have that are compatible with ARC products. I expect once this bug is fixed that one will be able to choose whichever driver he has set up in the app. Unfortunately, this bug means that you'll need to go in and tweak the driver settings (power level, throttle curve, fuel load, etc.) each time you play with a different car that performs differently. Meaning, you wouldn't be able to set up cars and drivers in advance, and pick the one you're going to race with, and easily change to another. I'm sure this will be fixed in the future, though. It's clearly not working as intended.

There are no in-race features other than lap counting and lane changing. No pit lane related function (fuel, tires, etc). No KERS, not even Yellow Flag. Most of that is stupid, and could easily be allowed for the human driver, but the latter actually bothers me. It's common to crash your own car, or for the pace car tires to get dirty and allow it to slide and deslot even when the speed was set correctly. Not being able to reach over and tap the screen to pause the race in some way is, well... stupid. A feature that is present/available in all the other race types, but not in Pace Car mode for some reason? No. There's no reason. They NEED to add that in. It's insanity to not provide it for this mode.

Anyway, enough of the critique. At least it's something that works to allow a racer to have some competition when he's racing alone.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You mentioned in the video that the speed was determined as part of the stats. I think on ARC ONE and ARC AIR you only get a speed if select a track layout.

I think you can set any layout but you should try to pick one close to the one you are using.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Package contains :

Manual
1 Powerbase - one full straight trackpiece with a Big ugly print "ARCPRO"
1 Powersuppy - same as for C7042
2 controllers (No batteries )
1 tablet stand
4 additional wristbands for controllers with colours matchning ports on powerbase
Just to confirm, the power supply is the same as for the C7042, correct?

That would mean we could use the Toshiba power supplies that were recommended for the APB.

That is one check mark in its favour.

The fact that the powerbase upgrade kit comes with 2 controllers is also a nice feature. Now is the Platinum set worth the price difference given that it comes with cars, track and controllers above that in the upgrade kit?

Cheers!

PS Thanks for the video, Mr. F.!

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
You mentioned in the video that the speed was determined as part of the stats. I think on ARC ONE and ARC AIR you only get a speed if select a track layout.

I think you can set any layout but you should try to pick one close to the one you are using.
I had a track selected. I'm thinking it might only be for drag racing, or there's a bug.

Just to confirm, the power supply is the same as for the C7042, correct?

That would mean we could use the Toshiba power supplies that were recommended for the APB.

That is one check mark in its favour.

The fact that the powerbase upgrade kit comes with 2 controllers is also a nice feature. Now is the Platinum set worth the price difference given that it comes with cars, track and controllers above that in the upgrade kit?

Cheers!

PS Thanks for the video, Mr. F.!
Yes, same PSU, so the Toshiba laptop PSU solution should be fine. Same as always, don't mix brands.

If you are starting from scratch, such that you need the cars (and chips) and track, then of course the set is the better deal. Out of curiosity I started building the set from individually sold parts, and didn't even finish adding all the track before I was more than $200 beyond the set cost.

But, if you've already got everything you need other than the base and controllers, then of course that will save money. I would have bought just the base, but I have an event on the 11th, and couldn't take the risk it wouldn't be in the states in time. I'm not mad, though. I love the cars, and with the pit lane pieces, I've come up with a way to add a pit to my portable track, should I so desire. I still think it's too much for most "party" racers, but if I get a gig with adults, and they think they're up for it, I might add it in. ;-)

·
ParrotGod
9,447 Posts
I think the best thing scalex could do software-wise is to release the library that handle the control of the apb so that others can build their apps on top of it.

The set is quite interesting and I might think to buy it at one stage.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thanks, Mr. F.!

The ARC Pro Upgrade is priced much lower than a similar C7042 Kit. So only have to factor in a few extra controllers.

What will be interesting is to see if the ARC Pro track piece can be separated AND suitable connectors affixed to allow either the ARC Pro PB or the C7042 PB to be plugged in (only one at a time, mind you). I have seen that we were able to do this with the C7030 PB Pro and the C7042 APB, with a few wiring adjustments.

Cheers!

41 - 60 of 211 Posts