SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Hi
the previous thread is now far to long so a new one is underway to show and explain how to configure to wire up and connect up start lights and track call lights to a velleman board.

I have managed to get hold of some 12v led's today with built in resistors so wiring these will be a lot easier than before.Whether you opt for 5v or 12v the wiring methods that will be shown will be the same.

I will post some photo's later showing how to connect up the psu to the board and show the cables exiting the board to the gantry and lights.

The new gantry I will be building will be routed out of 3mm mdf and I have some nice bezels wich can be used for matarials upto 3:2mm thickness,again I will post some pics later...

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi
here are a few pics showing the wiring exiting the velleman board.The cable is 8 core bt,the wire to the extreme right is the -negative from the off board psu and the one next to it with the orange wire exiting is the +positive from the off board psu.

The orange wire will carry the +signal to all the led,s and needs to be soldered onto the board wich will house everything and has yet to be made.

All the other wires exiting the board will be soldered off the - side of the led and can be set up for pin id in ssdc preferences but to make it easier it,s best to copy what they are and just connect up accordingly.

There should also be a pic of the new led,s i have with the in built resistors,these will make the board design a peice of cake,also there are some nice covers wich snap over the led,s for a nice finish.

Once i have soldered the led,s onto the board with the wiring attached i will post some more photo,s...

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
here are a couple of pics showing progress so far.Stripboard has been relieved of matarial to prevent shorts and because i only wanted on main feed wire,so in effect the remaining copper plate is a buzzbar for all the lights to pick up there +feed from the psu.

Working with 12v led,s that have in built resistors has been a piece of cake and using the velleman is far easier than the parallel port as well.

Next up is the gantry housing out of 3mm mdf and once this is finished at long last the track call lights can be started,i already have all the parts for these but the boards i made up are configured the wrong way for velleman use and they are the old 5v spec layout.

Just waiting for a phone call from maplin,s to say that the rest of the parts are in stock.

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
all the parts are available from maplins.They are probably available from other outlets but the brach is local to me..

The velleman board is available in 2 formats,kit form and ready assembled,there is a nominal fee of £10 for the advantage of buying it ready to go,i opted for the ready to go version as any dodgy soldering will result in expensive damage.The part numbers are:

1:kit form N67BH
2:ready to go:L92BL

The led part numbers are for the 12v variety with the resistors built in.

Red:CK48C
Green:CK49D
Yellow:CJ61R

stripboaard is also needed and can be seen in the earlier pics,there are numerous ones to choose from.

Also needed will be a 12v dc 1 amp psu,again you may have one lying around or i got one from you know where for a little over a tenner.

Maplin web address:www.maplin.co.uk

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
yes my first effort was double sided and using velleman means there's plenty of power in reserve. As my start finish is halfway down the front straight the back face was hardly seen so opted for one face only this time,but i have more designs in mind for the future....

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Hi
some quick maths would suggest that to have six panels + a gantry would mean a current draw of 420ma max accross 5 outputs.

I would of thought if you were to keep the cable runs as short as possible then you could achieve this,it is possible to piggy back the velleman, upto four can be linked together.

One other thing wich may help with cable runs would be to get a usb extension cable so the board can be tucked right underneath the table..

The max current draw will be at race end when all the reds will be lit at once.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi bb
now that you have the velleman sussed will you be offering any form of kit for sale.??? It would be great if a ready made board could be made along with the board for the track call lights.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
BigBird,
Did you use the wiring diagram from the previous thread that (I think) AWallace provided or do you have another one?
I was not sure which wires went where from your photo so a diagram would be appreciated.

Still stuck in cleanup/reno/vacation modes so will be some time before I can get out the soldering iron.... but bought a bunch of slot supplies on our recent trip to California so have the parts... now need the time so that I can contribute something here!

Cheers!

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi
Sorry no good at doing links to other pages or sites so here is a close up of the wires exiting the board and there id,s.

The far right hand black wire with white stripe is the ground or earth or - from off board psu.

The next cable along wich is solid black is the positive or + and this also has the orange wire exiting to the positive + side of all the led,s in the gantry.

Now starting from the left side of the board you have pin number 1 and they go upto number 8. Ssdc at present only uses 7 of these pins,1 for yellow 1 for green and 5 for reds,the 8th one is spare,might come in for blue pit lane lights later.???

These are the pin id,s and what and where they go to.

1.yellow:track call light,wire soldered onto - leg of led..
2.red1.start light sequence.wire soldered onto-leg of led
3.red2.start light sequence.wire soldered onto-leg of led
4.red3.start light sequence.wire soldered onto-leg of led
5.red4.start light sequence.wire soldered onto-leg of led
6.red5.start light sequence.wire soldered onto-leg of led
7.green.Go Go Go.wire soldered onto-leg of led.

WARNING:When connecting of board psu to the velleman board make sure to identify the + and - before connection,they can be made in differing combinations so be carefull.Solid white line should indicate + and a broken white line should indicate - but to make sure test with a multimeter,wich ever one you opt for will need the jack plug cutting off so testing is easy,power up and connect meter,no reading means probes are back to front,swap them round to get a reading and you then have identified your + and _- and are safe to connect up. Get it wrong and it,s back to velleman for a repair,they do offer a ful repair service but best not to try it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thanks, Bigbird,

It is interesting that the Velleman uses the +ve wire as common rather than the GND (used on the parallel port).

As I recall there is a correct and incorrect way to wire the LEDs so this would suggest the LEDs are wired in reverse to the parallel port version, correct?

I know that it does not matter which side of the LED has the resistor, but will go back to read which leg (anode or cathode) should be to the +ve and which to the -ve wires... assuming that the Velleman has 7 -ve wires and 1 +ve wire as opposed to the parallel solution (with 1 -ve and 7 +ve).

Again, many thanks for the clarity of your explanation.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thanks for the picture.
So just reverse the leads from the parallel version, right?

I think the C vs. K depends on point of manufacture... after all, we used Cathode Ray Tubes (CRTs) before LCD screens came out.
Or maybe they use K to differentiate from other devices. I have seen the K label before but also the C spelling for the full name (cathode).

I am sure someone will have an opinion on this!

Once again, thanks for all your research....
Time for me to go to work!
Cheers!

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi
the parallel port had 7 individual wires for power to the anode+ and all the kathode,s were joined together with jumper wires an then one single wire back to the port.

The velleman route has 1 single power wire to all anodes+ and the kathodes- has 7 individual wires retuning to the board..

So you have a positive signal feeding into the led and exiting back into the board where the earth wire is clamped into the board from the external psu.

This method is the reason why gantry mk1 was no longer useable and was donated to another member who now has it sited on a club track.

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi
here are a couple of pics of how the track call lights are configured.Because these only require 3 wires i have changed the type of wire to 3 core so the colours change from those coming out of the velleman.

Yet to be soldered up but the red is going to the centre pair of anodes+ wich can be identified because they have yet to be cut to leng,this red will then return to the clamp on the velleman board.

The outer 2 pins are the kathodes and these will have the yellow and black wires returned back to the velleman to the corresponding pin numbers that have been designated to that colour within the gantry,so yellow to pin 1 and the black wire wich is coming from the kathode-on the green will be fed to pin 7 on the board.

·
Prof I T
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi
i am about to send of some drawings to a company who have facilities to machine mdf with laser cutting technology.

The idea so far is to make a gantry with a modular approach so that the part that houses the light array will be the same for both designs,in that it will be exactly the same width as standard scalextric sport track.

There will then be a choice to either have one stanchion to form a upside down L section or use two stanchions to form a self standing H section.

At present it is undecided as to use 3mm or 6mm for the main parts,once the price comes back for the work and if it's favourable then some form of kit could be come available for those that are interested...

1 - 20 of 247 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.