SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds like a newbie question (which I am
) but I've got 4 Fly cars and all of which seem very noisy. (2 Lanica Betas, Porsche 917/10, Chevron B19)

At the moment I only have a basic Scalextric set (Subaru challenge!) and the Subarus are much quieter.

Until I finish the loft and set up a permanent track space I'm confined to the living room floor and attempting to out-run the cat and my baby daughter. Also the odd annoyed glance from the wife becuase she can't hear Holby City over the Fly cars!

Just as an aside, I find the 917 to be the most fun to drive as it dirfts much easier and much more controlled than all the others.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Fly cars are generaly noisier that Scaley cars at lest (and most others too by the way
) . They doo however quieten down a bit with more driving. I tink it's because of worse gearmesh, but could also be down to chassis material and loose body details, loose bushings etc... SCX cars are probably the only cars that make more noice than the Fly ones. Especially the 4WD ones

...so, drive them more and make sure that everything (small details, etc) is secured in the body, or change the gears for better ones. ......and, your wife will just have to cope

Toby

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem with my FLY cars. They sounded like a coffeegrinders.

Glue the bushings and oil the gears. That took most of the noise! And also be sure that the pinion and the crowngear are close to eachother. You can push the pinion towards the crown gear!

If you do this, then after an hour of driving or so, it will suddenly quiet down.

The SCX, thats another story. Those Xenonlights are so cool, but the noise just cant be removed!

Anyway i dont think you will find any cars as quiet as the scaleys out of the box. I never bought 1 car that made noise out of the box!

Morten

·
Registered
317 Posts
The noise thing..... It even afflicts my fly racing capri. The worst I have expirienced though is my Ninco Subaru Impretza - its unbearable!

I find that most scaley cars are fine, with a couple of exceptions, but the quietest of all has to be my Carrera Plymouth superbird - certainly no prizes for speed or handling, but as smooth as you like!

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
The noise will get worse scooby when you build a circuit in the loft. I am not referring to the cars here, but the rumbling noise you get in the rooms below the circuit. I have a permanent circuit in my loft and when you stand in the bathroom for example there is a very prominent rumbling. Maybe you ought to line the floor of your loft first. I have mine laid directly onto the boards. The advantage there is that the cars do not pick up fluff from under carpet etc.

M

·
Registered
361 Posts
To be honest the cars have only had a couple of hours track time in total and the 917 & B19 have had about 30 mins so they are are still a bit "tight".

It had occured to me that there will be a certain amount of vibration in the loft and I had planned to lay carpet tiles and perhaps some hard foam under the table once its built.

I haven't taken any of the cars apart yet for tweaking but when I do my main aim will be decibel reduction!

Morten - Where abouts in Denmark are you from? My Bro lived in Copenhagen for about 10 years. Been a few times and biked round Bonholm (not sure if thats spelt right).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I moved to a small suburb just south of Copenhagen 3 years ago, called Solrød. But before i lived in Copenhagen for 11 years. Its spelled Bornholm, so you where close! I never been there, but it should be very nice

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
It's not that Fly are noisy, it's that Scalex (and a few others esp. RevMono) are too quiet. Enjoy the racing and rememebr that real race cars make noise...LOTS of noise. I prefer the Fly noise as the whisper quiet type of cars just don't appear real in scale terms.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Scalex cars are typically quieter than Fly cars right out of the box. Like most said, if you open up the Fly car and add a drop of sewing machine oil at the bushings, it will help. I don't oil the pinion and gear, however. I add a little white lithium grease to the gear. The thicker grease really makes a difference. Just a dab is all you need.

Also, if you add a touch of weigth to the nose right behind the guide, it will help the chassis from rattling so much. You'd be surprised when I tune them at the before and after noise level difference. Unfortunately, every Fly car requires some tuning. Just the way it is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any hardware store has it in a tube like toothpaste. It is not super thick, but much more so than machine oil. Should be about $3-4 at most.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts