SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticing the non existent selection of Ninco cars from the usual outlets and the lack of any proper cars on the Ninco web site, was wondering if they have left the slot car business?

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
As far as I know they are not currently making slot cars in 1.32 - there were some 1/43 cars shown recently but don't think much happened with them.

There was an interview on slot car today with a chap who was ex Ninco and he said they had all the moulds and that and something might be happening soon. But then who knows. I think it said that the company that used to own SCX had bought Ninco.

The thing is what are the going to make? If there old moulds are still good who will buy them - a lot of there early stuff was low on detail compared to today's cars. Their classics were great but does anyone really need anymore of them. So then what do they have left. Rally and RAID???

SCX featured at the recent Toy Fair so they are back.... Ninco maybe next year :)

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
You could probably make quite a good business with the Classics, rally cars cars and Raid stuff. Ninco was overtaken in the club racing market but remained peerless for price and performance with off-road stuff. The market is now saturated with GT cars and I won't be sorry never to see another low detail, overpriced Renault Megane or Mercedes SLS, but it would be great to see Ninco's best products back alongside SCX to show Scalextric and Carrera how to do it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I dont know the answer to if ninco is leaving 1/32, but I hope they dont. This is one of my most cherished hobbies and I hope they continue to offer products, even if they arent what I collect/use

as far as ninco products, I love the surface material of the ninco track. I think the SCX is probably my first favorite but ninco is my very close second. (I own a set from every brand and compared each in detail to decide this)

With that being said, I use a long discontinued ninco track as my current track, and some of my best driving cars are ninco. I really wish they would re-release much of their rally stuff and ice/snow stuff.

As for the cars, I only really buy rally and classic american muscle cars. Ninco doesnt have a ton of rally cars or muscle cars. I have been buying SCX for the rally and scalextric and pioneer for the muscle cars.

I dont think I will get rid of my ninco track, unless SCX releases track in the USA again. Its too expensive to buy SCX on the open market now. The only problem I have with the ninco track is it warped when I had it setup with bridges (I have since modified it so there is no elevation.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
rekim, some people might complain that Ninco do too many rally cars! I run MaxiMegane's, Toyota Corolla's [all NC-1], Mitsubishi Evo/Citroen C4, Ford Focus [4WD speeder] and rally Porsche 997 as groups for my track. I'm especially fond of the NC-1 motored cars as their performance is less extreme and tend to tail-out if pushed too hard, they're a challenging car to get a quick lap-time. They define the slower is quicker motif as a smooth lap is often the quickest. They are also charmingly "retro" as late 90's released cars. The 4WD speeder cars are all super-fast and have a bit less feel in their driving, they thrash round at unrealistic speed with the mag left in. You should check them out if you don't have any of the Ninco's, most of the older cars come up [used] on ebay for little money. Most only need a decent service and they are like new. The NC-1 is a Mabuchi motor and replacements are easy to get.

ATB - Bob.

·
Registered
361 Posts
rekim, some people might complain that Ninco do too many rally cars! I run MaxiMegane's, Toyota Corolla's [all NC-1], Mitsubishi Evo/Citroen C4, Ford Focus [4WD speeder] and rally Porsche 997 as groups for my track. I'm especially fond of the NC-1 motored cars as their performance is less extreme and tend to tail-out if pushed too hard, they're a challenging car to get a quick lap-time. They define the slower is quicker motif as a smooth lap is often the quickest. They are also charmingly "retro" as late 90's released cars. The 4WD speeder cars are all super-fast and have a bit less feel in their driving, they thrash round at unrealistic speed with the mag left in. You should check them out if you don't have any of the Ninco's, most of the older cars come up [used] on ebay for little money. Most only need a decent service and they are like new. The NC-1 is a Mabuchi motor and replacements are easy to get.

ATB - Bob.
Thanks for the information, I will have to look again because i love collecting rally cars.

I enjoy the 80's hatchback rally cars most, but with it being hard to find these scx rally cars in decent quality for a fair price these days i might need to expand years. something about the silliness of the group A cars with their giant fenders and huge out of place wings are appealing to me.

i did just order the autoart peugeot 206 (silver). now that is a slick looking car.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Rekim, Ninco have done *loads* of rally cars. My favourite rally car for thrashing around the track is an old Celica GT4 from the 90s (Mitoos have some nice replacement tyres that fit like a charm). I also have a couple of their Ford Focuses (Foci?), a Lancia Stratos and an Austin Healey (OK, the Healey has no co-driver, so I look at it as a hill-climb car rather than a proper rally car.) Oh, and a handful of rather nice Subarus covering the range of GD era nose styles.

24953692996_5fb72278f7_b.jpg

DSCF7191 by stoooo, on Flickr

I haven't picked up one of the Lancia 037s yet. Yet!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Copy of posting I did on 1/43rd scale forum

Quoting from the review in Slot

" It was interesting to see how Ninco were doing since they were sold to EDUCA BORRAS...... It looks however like they are initially throwing their weight behind their 1/43rd offerings. By gaining the WRC licencing the have quickly moved from fake generic cars to accurately modelled.......Citroen C3 and Ford Fiesta. They also have managed to obtain the Hotwheels branding for the smaller slot cars........ However Raul Mena was less forthcoming with the future of the 1/32nd range................."

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
On the contrary, you might say that it's Carrera and Scalextric showing SCX and Ninco how to do it. By being in business.
But still falling far short of the handling that our Spanish brethren could conjure in their sleep. Slap a Ninco SEAT Cordoba WRC or an SCX Peugeot 908 down on any track surface and it will run in such a way that it puts a smile on your face. Scalextric cars can be improved with a bit of time but I wouldn't miss Carrera if they pulled up the tent pegs. Not for a minute.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Good words Nick ^^^

One can remove the traction magnets from Ninco and SCX cars and still have a decent runner. Beyond that they can be tuned in the traditional ways with weight and blue-printing.

Leo

·
Registered
243 Posts
I read in MRE:s Nürnberg report that they had talked briefly with Ninco. At the moment the new owners (as the previous) have the focus with the RC toys line. But they have all the moulds from their vast backcatalogue in storage in Spain. So it all comes down to business decisions whether they can make a profit or not if they start producing slot cars again. Hope so, because I still rate them as my favourite brand. And yes, excellent rally cars.

#MakeNincoGreatAgain

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
On the contrary, you might say that it's Carrera and Scalextric showing SCX and Ninco how to do it. By being in business.
Only just..

I did used to like Ninco cars, before I started racing on wood. I still have a dozen Nincos because I like the cars they depict, but I have given up trying to make them drive well.

Being such a big well known brand, it wouldnt take much to get back in the game.. but theyd need to be on a par with the likes of Slotit, NSR, Scaleauto, etc for me to folk out. ie theyd need to have a Slotit format motor pod, adjustable front axle, lighter bodies, 2.38 axles, etc..

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
But... there's already plenty of manufacturers turning that sort of kit out? As far as I can tell, even NSRs are considered below par for wood tracks unless they've got 5G connectivity, a 3D printed chassis, Slot.It mount, Scaleauto guide, hollow screws, unobtanium air hubs and axles made from unicorn horn
biggrin.png

Ninco was a volume seller like Scalextric and Carrera, making a broad range of cars at reasonable prices for home and club racing. They went nicely on most other manufacturers' track systems and were a doddle to run without a traction magnet. It was only when they went all 'pro' that they became neither fish nor fowl. If they kept things simple, brought back the different track surfaces and avoided either modern GTs or noughties WRC repops they could be on to something.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts