SlotForum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
David H
3,724 Posts
Comes back to the divide on what people get out of slot cars.. Bit of fun or hardcore racer..lol
There doesn't need to be a divide and for many of us there isn't. It's perfectly possible to get both in one package if you can recalibrate to cars that slide and don't travel at warp speed.
tongue.png

I really enjoy racing NSRs on wood with gooped tyres providing colossal levels of grip, but there's only so much variety one can get from that type of racing. It's certainly more akin to racing cars with magnets than it is to racing mag-free cars on standard untreated tyres on plastic, which is something I enjoy just as much.

I've organised some great race meetings using Ninco GT cars, fettled but close to standard. The common dislike of almost every driver is the damned racket Ninco cars make. Yes, they can be quietened a bit, but I've tired of the noise and these days race them far less frequently.

Would I buy them now if Ninco rose from the ashes? Probably not. Things have moved on in slotland and, with very few exceptions, my minimum requirement now is adjustable front axle height and round removable wheels.

·
David H
3,724 Posts
Yes, but it would be an exceptionally boring thread if all it consisted of was half a dozen replies saying yes or no. SlotForum isn't exactly alive with activity these days, so any excuse to expand a thread to vaguely related conversation should be welcomed. Shouldn't it?

Death by disinterest or death by rigid adherence to staying precisely on topic. Neither appeals to me.

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Being such a big well known brand, it wouldnt take much to get back in the game.. but theyd need to be on a par with the likes of Slotit, NSR, Scaleauto, etc for me to folk out. ie theyd need to have a Slotit format motor pod, adjustable front axle, lighter bodies, 2.38 axles, etc..
Ninco ProRace?

A failure., by and large. Check how many of their spares are on discount at PSR. Including 2.38 variants ;)

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,604 Posts
If Ninco are going to make a comeback they need to jump on the 3DP bandwagon because that's where our hobby is rolling.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I like Ninco cars.

I remember when they first came out, like a breath of fresh air. Plastic cars that actually handled!

We raced them, that's that they were for.

I still race the Ford GT, Citroen C5 Rally cars .. and they are competitive.

The Ford GT can hold it's own against a stock NSR GT3 car on our club track.

If they do ever make a come back, I just hope that they beef up the axle mounts on the one piece chassis and the motor mount on the Lexan chassis. Both weak points.

Other than that, good cars.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Ninco ProRace?

A failure., by and large. Check how many of their spares are on discount at PSR. Including 2.38 variants ;)
Yep, Iv seen the parts.. Iv thought about buying some, their parts are good quality items, thier prorace Inline Crown Gears are well made possibly on par with Slotit ones.
But, the Lightning Audi R8 with independent motor Pod, not so good on wood, even with adding things like Adjustable front axle, etc.. worked fine on plastic though.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
There doesn't need to be a divide and for many of us there isn't. It's perfectly possible to get both in one package if you can recalibrate to cars that slide and don't travel at warp speed. :p

I really enjoy racing NSRs on wood with gooped tyres providing colossal levels of grip, but there's only so much variety one can get from that type of racing. It's certainly more akin to racing cars with magnets than it is to racing mag-free cars on standard untreated tyres on plastic, which is something I enjoy just as much.

I've organised some great race meetings using Ninco GT cars, fettled but close to standard. The common dislike of almost every driver is the damned racket Ninco cars make. Yes, they can be quietened a bit, but I've tired of the noise and these days race them far less frequently.

Would I buy them now if Ninco rose from the ashes? Probably not. Things have moved on in slotland and, with very few exceptions, my minimum requirement now is adjustable front axle height and round removable wheels.
I see a massive divide, those that tune, and those that don't. No one car can cater for both imo.

·
David H
3,724 Posts
Yes, but you're a tuner, not a racer. Pure racers will race anything that provides them with a means to fulfil a competitive need. Tuners like to race too, but won't want to waste time with stuff that has limited tuning opportunities.

I only have one thing to say on the matter..
If new rules stop Modified/Tuned cars, I'll be giving the sport up in a flash.
There's nothing more tedious for me than box std cars..

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Never thought of it like that, but you are right for the most part, David.
I would, and have wasted much time on tuning rubbish cars. Take Tamar's Ford Gt thread for example, I would love a fully open class where we had the freedom to do that kind of stuff.
I do appreciate that kind of engineering is not for everyone, on the other hand, my brain doesn't understand why people are happy racing rubbish cars, or good cars that are badly setup.

This is also true for when I used to Drift 1:1 cars.. I spent a lot of money and time preparing rubbish cars(not necessarily rubbish, just not ideally suited) for drifting, even if they were hard work and not particularly good to drive, the thrill was just as good..
again, on the other hand, I took decent cars ideally suited for drifting, but not setup, and they were just soooo annoying and frustrating.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Pure racers will race anything that provides them with a means to fulfil a competitive need.
Amen, brother. Although I'm too old and fat these days for the old trolley races around the Sainsbury's car park. Beer may have been a factor.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
I dont mind the occasional out of the box race. It shows who can who win on driver skill alone.

Rick

·
Registered
866 Posts
We used to race a ninco moslers class at North staffs, popular and quite competitive, bit of weight, new rear tyres and a bracket to stop motor movement / ninco hop, a couple of ninco arrows tuned and remotored are as quick as an allslot in the F1 class, very popular this year is our scx dtm class, warp speed isn't necessary to enjoy racing, the new aston dtm looks tasty so how about it scx.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts