SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fergy, I knew
but it was the link was too good to pass up. Besides, now you're going down the "Size matters" path so I'm out.

I notice that the emoticons are starting to be used again - maybe the flames are dying down and the fun is returning.

G

·
Yes in one sense they are toy but has already been pointed out so was the the Ferrari below it was wonderful for the odd jouney but impossible to use to often, as it was almost impossible to drive in traffic due to the sprint gearing it had.

But I am not prepared to have the word toy used as an excuse for poor models.

I get huge pleasure from slot/rail cars always have But it worth remember that it was started by,

Southport MODEL Engineering Club Not Southport Toy Club and the original rail racers did not consider them to be toys

Jonny, you owe mea pint of orange juice

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
fergy! your the one who complained about my first moving avatar and now your complaining again?!!
must be g....

Rob.
p.s at the end of the day its not who has the most toys its who enjoys them most

·
Registered
392 Posts
I completely agree with Roadkill and Tropi; it is not the word "toy" that upset me, because I too have , like the most of you, many other " vices" or toys for adults like old Alfa Romeos, MotoGuzzi V7 bikes, more than 100 model airplane engines and so on, but the fact that someone uses this word inopportunely : "after all these are only toys!", saying implicitly that is wrong to search the best in things referred to kids. Friends, this is one of the best Forums I have encountered
, but nobody in the world of R/C planes and cars would ever use the word toy
for his models!
Ciao

G

·
I spent months of my life building the rail track using the original methods that rail track were built by, because it was Model engineering. Which is really what slot racing is, and how the rail racers both diesel and eletric looked at it.

You can call it toys but in only the same way as slot cars are called Scalextric by the general public, in a meaningless general term way.

RR

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE your the one who complained about my first moving avatar and now your complaining again?!!

Heavens no, Inte! I didn't "complain" about your earlier avatar (but it left me wishing I was a horse
), nor did I complain about Nuro's avatars, just made a bit of fun about them!

..but now that you mention it... I think yours could use some new dampers...

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Toys?

It's a bit difficult to lump all Slot car together as toys.

In the UK (as Rail Racer says) they are simply known as Scalextric, in Spain they are also known as Scalextric, I don't know what the generic name is in Germany but i suspect it will be Carrera.

IMO: RTR (Ready to Race) slot cars are generally sold and marketed as toys, Scalextric sell more sets in Argos every Christmas than other products all year - sold to parents as gifts for their children. (no official figures, just an assumption, but if you go to Margate and see the stock rooms it's pretty clear).

Tecnitoys in Spain are similar, they do special editions for Sweets companies etc, etc. However Spain (on the whole) does view Slot car Racing as a Sport.

All this said however, scratch built, Racing models and the like are hardly toys, but this is a tiny percentage of the entire sales of Slot cars, it's on the fringe.

IMO: Collectors collect Slot cars, specifically because they are toys, if they were sold as anything else then it woould be too easy. Most of the cars i collect have been PLAYED with, damaged etc, etc the effort of finding that mint, boxed never been PLAYED with car is collecting!

Toys - YES

All slot cars and Rail racers Toys - NO

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
356 Posts
Personnally i view my slot car collection even the scratch / special builds as toys.
I play with them as toys, if i break it and can't fix i'll get / build another one.
For mw every thing i play with is a toy wether it's my 190 BHP jet ski, the Westie i used to own, My mountain bike all toys to me.

I understand that some people take each of these activities very series and call them sports, for me they are toys and i whole heartedlly agree with whoever said "the only difference between man and boy is the expense of the toy".
I have done a few track days in my time and when doing that my car is a toy, you could say i am playing at deing a racing driver, (as an aside are 1/1 club racers playing with toys?)

Wayne

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
If I referred to everything around me that I enjoy, gives pleasure, takes away stress, and diverts me from life's tough realities as a "toy"... my wife would smack me very hard indeed...

Perspective... once again...

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Inte, I didn't say she never does, I just don't want to give her another reason...

Jexy, you should see the looks I'm getting right now with my hot wire testing!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
my eyes were steaming before when I was reattaching my fly corvette interior and other parts with the soldering iron.. then I got a fan out and opened the window look at that! my own vent and all i needed was a small 10" fan and a window!!

Rob.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Yeah, but probably not below zero there with a couple of feet of snow on the ground either...
...it isn't the smell, it's the transformer hum and glowing steel wire that has her looking at me like I'm a descendent of Dr. Frankenstein!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
One distinction, which is not cut and dry, but i think perhaps throwing in here, is the aftermarket stuff after the sets, many of which i am sure are sold to kids.

The aftermarket includes slot cars costing up to £500.

But also the aftermarket includes customising parts, replacement parts and so on. Toys are usually disposable things.

Whilst Fly's product range looks like it is not aimed at kids, it's scalextric's attitude that seems untoylike. If 'your Little Pony' doesn't do what u want, do u think there is as good a customer service line, or repair centre?

Thats all for now

·
DT
5,195 Posts
toy n.

1. An object for children to play with.
2. Something of little importance; a trifle.
3. An amusement; a pastime: thought of the business as a toy.
4. A small ornament; a bauble.
5. A diminutive thing or person.
6. A dog of a very small breed or of a variety smaller than the standard variety of its breed.
7. Scots. A loose covering for the head, formerly worn by women.
8. Chiefly Southern U.S. A shooter marble.

I think that 100 years ago only children played with toys because adults spent all their time working their butts off earning a living to feed the family.

Today, we have means to earn enough and have free time to ourselves. This time can be spent how we like and actually quite allot of us choose to spend this time in the act of playing games. Re living our childhood perhaps, but basically enjoying life. In today's world, it is not only the children that play with toys.

What it this:

What is this:

They are both non functional in the business of bringing food to the table or earning a living. they are both toys.

We have to understand that it is not a bad thing to play. It's just a matter of terminology on how we express ourselves.

21 - 40 of 173 Posts