SlotForum banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,045 Posts
QUOTE (NSCC-Editor @ 22 Mar 2005, 23:32)When I stop playing with toy plastic cars you can book the cemetery.

Brian
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you've gone off brakes now and are racing toy cars, like us jokers at Farnham!

Or do you have to be one of the undead to race at Kings Lynn?

Jim

·
Registered
420 Posts
sorry mates just wanted my shot at the shortest post as well. i believe even if slot cars are "toys" is that gona make you not like them as much. I hope not. So enough with this it doesn't matter!!!

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
They are little tiny replicants of the real thing with real tiny little people inside.

'Toys' are simply things that are associated with kids. When kids play with a football we call it a 'toy', but when David Beckham plays with a footbal, it's meaning if transformed into a respectable 'thing' that aduluts can use with legitimacy. Mind you, he does have his little tantrums, doesn't he?

They are no more 'toys' than new furniture for the house are things that some folks want.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Scott @ 22 Mar 2005, 23:34)What, you have a layout permanently in the cemetery!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That could very well be the FergyDiff Afterlife Raceway - the one you CAN take with you!! Cars possibly available - Mummy Mopar, Drac's Dodge, Crypt Corvette

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
QUOTE They are little tiny replicants of the real thing with real tiny little people inside.
I got told off at the club the other week - I'd put a lane sticker on the windscreen and the driver couldn't see where he was going!

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Just to wade in at the end of the discussion...

Personally I generally use the 'toy' tag as it suits me and my sense of humour. And I think to myself...

Do I want to grow up? Nah.

Does it bother me if some people think I'm odd, still playing with toy cars in my mid 30's? Nope.

Do any of the descriptions, toy/model/replica/whatever, add to or detract from my enjoyment of my hobby? Not in the least.

My sister-in-law, 10 years my junior and terribly mature, regularly opines that I must be sad to play with toy cars. My response is generally 'Nope, I'm one of the happiest people I know!'.

Nuff said.

Rob

·
Philip Insull
1,793 Posts
At the end of the day who gives a stuff if the rest of the world thinks were big kids playing with toy cars? I enjoy a bit of collecting, building and racing, and being able to afford some of the stuff I couldn't in my younger years, but I have plenty of other interests in my life. I think the problems start when people become completely obsessed with a hobby to the exclusion of all other things, or when people only get pleasure from the hobby if they are winning races or events. Sorry guy's one thing slot cars are not is an International Sport, no one outside the hobby gives a damn and I can't see Sky picking up the TV rights anytime soon, it's supposed to be a bit of fun isn't it?

Phil.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
so why is football more popular than slot car racing? There is nothing intrinsically more respectable or worthy about 22 guys running about in shorts playing with a ball than there is about racing slot cars; is it the ****-erotic interest of the bare flesh? is it that a football is cheaper than a slot car set? I just don't know

·
Philip Insull
1,793 Posts
Interesting points guys, lets take snooker first, If in the 1970's BBC2 had aired "Slot Track" in place of "Pot Black" then maybe we'd all be racing for £1,000,000 per meeting but we're not, nor are we likely to be in the near future. Besides who want's to have to wear a silly patterned waistcoat to race?
As for football it's something most kids do as soon as they can walk, it's cheap to play you just need a ball and "jumpers for goalposts" most of us used to play at school in the breaks afterwards in the park, or a kick around with your siblings, father, etc so the interest develops. Not all youngsters are lucky enough to get a slot car set and so interest is not so ingrained in the psyche. Add that the money involved in football these days has become ludicrous and a lot of pushy parents are trying to ensure their kids the next David Beckham so they can earn a mint without doing a days proper work in their lives. The flip side is that not many parents are pushing their kids to spend hours slot racing because there's no money to be made (only spent) and being the next Mac Pinches for example (hope you don't mind the analogy Mac) will not buy you a mansion and a real Aston Martin.
Fear not however there is a cure for the global obsession with soccer, just make it compulsory to have a season ticket to the Molineux for a year, and after watching the Wolves play no kid will ever want to see a football again as long as they live!
Phil - Long suffering ex-Wolves season ticket holder!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Snooker - I was thinking more on the lines of it being a lot of balls actually!
Me being a connoisseur in these matters.
My subtlety was obviously too tenuous - maye just as well!

161 - 173 of 173 Posts