SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit of a one for buying magazines about the various hobbies I have a hand in. Are the slot car magazines good reading? I'm mostly interested in getting as much information on track building, scenery etc. There isn't a slot car club within 100 miles as far as I know and my racing career such as it is is taken up with RC cars.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
In terms of a good bog time read GSR is the best out there at the mo. It will always be behind the net in terms of news but the articles are good (although quirkily written (cause its translated from Spanish)), and photos are excellent.

Even some dodgy Swiss guy has written a couple of articles in it recently

Bi-monthly and all e-tailers stock it.

There was a publication called Mas Slot international that was even better, but it has stopped being produced in English. If you can read Spanish then I'd recomend Mas Slot spanish version which is monthly (except Aug when non tourist Spain shuts down!)

Matt

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE Even some dodgy Swiss guy has written a couple of articles in it recently

Oi! steady! not so much of the Swiss please

GSR - great read, better contributors (swagger) AND a Brilliant two page spread each issue by your very own WWW.SLOTFORUM.COM

What more could you ask?

PS: Subscribe now and you might get this years GSR special Edition (MRRC Cheetah) or last years (MRRC TOYOTA)

cheers

Swiss' (hardly dodgy at all)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chaps. I live in Haverfordwest which is in Pembrokeshire West Wales (Most UK people may have heard of Tenby which is about 25 mins east). Swansea is a good hour east and Cardiff about 2.

Couldn't find any mention on the web of a close-ish club. Spend most Sundays in swansea racing RC cars - another hole in the ground hobby!

·
Matt Tucker
3,560 Posts
Scooby
I used to hail from Narberth and still have friends that are based in Pembs - did my driving test round Haverfordwest and have loads of fond memories of 'rallying' my Mums Pug 205 (Jnr) round the back roads esp on the unclassifieds from St Clears to Llansteffan.

No use with your search for a close slot club!

Matt

·
Phil B.
3,774 Posts
My guess is that the closest club to you is LLantrisant Slot Car Club run by Steve Jones at Talbot Green.
There is a South West Championship meeting ther this sunday if you`re interested.
Cheers - Phil B.

·
Registered
549 Posts
QUOTE Are the slot car magazines good reading?
QUOTE There is an excellent magazine which has Spanish and English writing in it. If you can find the name, buy that one.

Miniauto magazine. Buy the yearbook from your favorite dealer and you will fill a subscription form in the back and you get a free Fly car.

Aaron

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
for me THE mag is Car-on-line, it covers all the new releases, track building,super detailing, reports, history,where to buy stuff,in this months issue it covers a system where a guy with a camera is standing trackside, as the cars pass the flash goes off!!! television camaras have the red "on" light on them, plus pit boards thatlight up as the car passes. most of it is in full coulor. the thing that grabs me about it ,it is produced single handed by Alexander Ehl the mag is writen in german but even so is well worth the outlay. mac p

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (McLaren @ 12 Oct 2004, 14:20)You're back! How was the honeymoon?

Dunno about GSR, but I can say that it's avery good magazine

Mclaren
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep I is back ! (see other thread) - honeymoon was fantastic the Maldives is truly
paradise.
Just catching up with work & slot cars and looking forward to my move - going
to designing my track soon as "Project DIGITAL Loft" is go for the new year

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
GSR imported by Monarch lines and sold by Scale Models and MRE as weel as Pendle I think. Probably more. I get mine at Swapmeets mostly.

I think there was a post a while back with a summary of the mags available - an ideal opportunity to use SlotForum's rather good search facility. Seach on GSR, Ms Slot Minauto etc.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (hawkwind @ 17 Sep 2004, 17:50)Where can you subscribe for GSR?

Brent
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GetSlotted and Pendles offer GSR. If you order one to check it out, I'm sure that you can subscribe from a form in the mag.

GSR is a great magazine as it is in Spanish and English. Glossy pages that give a very good impression. Detailed articles and reviews that must take ages to write-up.

SlotForum even has a two page spread in GSR where we give advice on Internet related Slot stuff. Links to pages of interest and in the latest edition, videos on Slotcars.

Check out their site for a sample of what they produce. You have to hold the magazine in your hand to really appreciate it though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.