SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently read several reviews and comments, here and elswhere, I drew the conclusion that some enthusiasts, when trying out a new car, are desperate for it to beat their previous lap record, for it to be the fastest thing they own and thereby eclispe all other cars they have.

I tend to hope, when purchasing a new wagon, that it will have some parity with similar cars already in my possession. I'm often disappointed - magnets have got stronger, motors faster, so for instance, my new SCX 206, fetching in last years red, white-washes my other WRC cars and leaves them for dead.

Am I alone in not caring about chipping seconds off of my best time but wanting some sort of stability?

Put another way, are the many owners of the Scaley Trans Ams happy that their cars run like rockets or would they rather handling more befitting an old rear-drive leviathon?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
No, you are not alone, Wankel.
I am in full agreement and my well known opinion is that no-magnets is by far the most important factor, followed by all cars being made to a consistent and comparable 1/32 scale. These simple provisos permit many more cars to be run together and almost eliminates super-powerful motors as the determining factor.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
sometimes, when I'm in the mood I want to be reckless build a balls out how fast car a car go (example - vectra) but sometimes I want to have fun get some cool slides going and have a good equal race

3.9 and I were ragging round the ninco mclarens, we had such a laugh, came off loads but was great fun

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I'm all for say just a couple of classes of 100% speed crazed moronicity!

F1 and LMP would be prime candidates.
I say only a couple because, really, when they are all glued to the track by monster magnets, it almost doesn't matter what you are racing as they tend to all behave much the same.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would like to see more of the cars being able to race against each other.
When racing at home, on a two lane track, I like to have two cars that are comparable, and it would be nice to do this without buying every car in two different liveries…
I also see that the fastest cars aren't always the ones we enjoy the most. Sliding around the track with rally cars (magnets removed) is usually preferred, instead of blazing around with a couple of Trans-Am cars.

As far as driving style is concerned I am a speed crazed moron. Even if I'm a lap ahead of the next car in a race I try to go as fast as I can. Since we're racing "crash and burn" at my club, it would probably be best to secure the position, but this does not seem to be an option to me…

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Am i a speed crazed moron?

No

The best racing is always when 2, 4 or all 6 cars in a race are level (speed, perrformance and handling).

At the clubs i race at the best races (i.e. the ones that go the distance and are fun to compete in) our the one make races.

To be honest the best races we have (IMHO) are still the NC1 Ninco McLaren GT they are slow (compared to others) but all the cars are pretty level and the race is generally decided on the skill or the driver.

The worst races on the other hand are the Scalextric NASCAR and SCX LMP classes which are without doubt the fastest, but require no or little skill to win. Just keep the throttle down and pray it stays on!

I bought my god children a big Scalextric set at Christmas, went round over the weekend with the race box to see how they were getting on. After repairing the track and cars (Mini's) i let them play with any of the cars in the box. They tried them all and after crashing all the fast cars with magnets both agreed that their favorite was the Ninco Go-Karts.

Why, becasue they stayed on, not too fast and both could race for about 20 laps with out coming off. Kids are 4 and 5 years old!

Gareth
NSCC

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I'm with you too, Wankel. I can be pretty competitive on the track, but I'd rather have the cars drive in a manner appropriate to the actual type of car. When everyone is racing similar cars at similar speeds, it just doesn't matter how fast they actually go - racing is racing.

Within reason, I think magnets can be used to create classes that reflect the capabilities of the real cars. As Tropi said, put them in F1 and LMP cars, but get them out of the touring cars and low-end GT stuff. Even on the F1 and LMP, keep it sane so the cars are still fun to drive - just use the magnets to make them the fastest classes. Tires and motors are another tool for getting classes into line with one another.

I'd rather race and have fun (as per Wankel's stability comment) than play the game of one-upmanship where guys use a new speed trick every week to get on top of the podium. Been there, done it... no fun any more. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yes I do tune my cars until there is no more left in them, but then I will also race at full pace if need be. I will pull out most tricks in the book usually to no avail but sometimes it works sometimes it pays off.

I like going fast yes, I will however tune cars to drift round bends and handle well rather than slap mags on, thats no good at all

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Good question, Wankel old boy!

I would say I am not a speed freak, but now you make me think about it, the first thing I do with a new car is time it with magnet and then without. I do not record or remember the times, so cannot really explain why I do it.

Also, I try the car against others, not necessarily of the same type, but usually F1 against F1 and so on. Again, I do not know why I do it other than for personal knowledge in a this-car-is faster-than-that-one kind-of-a-way. I should stress I did this before I had joined a club and there was even a remote possibility of racing.

Might it be the innate competitiveness - these are toy race cars after all.

Curious thing is I am quite happy to spend hours just pounding around the track watching the way the car moves and letting my mind wander. Sometimes I ponder the great questions of our time, sometimes I just fantasise about racing cars. There is usually some sort of commentary going on in my head at those times. To many hours spent hanging on Murray's every word.

When doing tests or reviews it is an easy thing to use as a point of structure for the piece and reference, again in a this-car-is faster-than-that-one kind-of-a-way, but instantly pointless since no one else has the same layout or (lack of) driving talent.

Maybe it is just the mental baggage we 30 and 40-somethings have, the residue of the competitive, non-PC education system we grew up in. All that celebration of scores, rankings, gold stars and exams that you considered you had failed if you got less than 50 per cent of the answers correct in are now just a slot car lap time handicap we cannot see past.

Scott

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE To many hours spent hanging on Murray's every word.

That would warp anyone's mind!

"...and Schumacher is unexpectedly coming into the pits! No.. no.. wait, it's not Schumacher, I stand corrected, it's Barrichello! Well, this changes everything! Or did he come in? No, he didn't! It wasn't a Ferrari at all - it was the similar looking Williams of Montoya! Well, this is a surprise! We didn't expect stops this early. Oh wait... wait... I take it all back! It was the McLaren of Coulthard entering the bus stop chicane, not the pits at all! So this changes nothing..."

Oh, how I do miss him!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Club rules are rules and members abide by the rules set out by the club committee as the group who form the committee believe that they understand what is in the best interests of the club and its racers.

Every club is different and broadly speaking some clubs will have more magnet racing and some will have less.

What I have noticed is that at the end of the night when the club racing is over and members are allowed free time and there are no rules, then the double magnet V24 50000 rpm engined NASCARS and LMP cars with the special tyres appear and generally the real racing then starts.

Its like watching wing cars on plexy to watch these go around.

Magnet nights also seem to attract the bigger crowds.

Just my observations.

As to which I prefer?

No real opinion here as long as folk are enjoying themselves.

Moped

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do think that behaviour and compatibility is of greater interest than speed for me. Yes it is fun to drive quickly, but I prefer when cars are similar to each other (at least if in the same class). Furthermore I do not really enjoy strong magnets in the cars - it seems to me that the cars then move stupenduously fast on a VERY tiny track (scalewise). The control is also more hopeless in the sense that there is not much space for 'mistakes'. When racing without magnets (or with weak ones) I have found that non-slot-addicts seem to enjoy the 'driving' more as well. So from a social perspective my experience is that it is much more fun to race a bit with friends when the cars are similar, non-magnetic and not extremely fast... and preferebly rather cheap, since some people do not have the courage to give it a go if the car cost a bit...

Actually we could have a thread about 'what is a fun slotcar to non-slotaddicts according to your experience' - what do you think? Would that be of interest? It might be something unexpected?

//peter

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
In my opinion, the thing that differentiates a hobby from a toy is the input you make into it. Slot cars are a particularly absorbing hobby because there are so many different aspects into which the participant can make an input. It may be improving appearance by super-detailing or correcting manufacturer's mistakes, or it might be by improving performance to get the very best out of it on the track. Or it could be in learning the refined skills of driving properly. You can take your choice. You can even build the whole set-up by hand, from track to car, without involving any manufacturer who is at the mercy of market forces and the whims of the toy market.
Me, I enjoy all aspects, except the one that involves buying the latest model and sticking it on a shelf. It's a challenge to your ingenuity to make any car go as fast and handle as well as possible, that I can't resist. But I can also mentally divide up my cars into classes, and derive different pleasures from all of them.

Have fun, y'all!

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE ...it almost doesn't matter what you are racing as they tend to all behave much the same.

Amen. Magnets - scourge of the hobby. IMHO. But I accept that my viewpoint and wants are not the same as the target audience the brands pitch at.

NC-1s and magnetless SCX WRC cars are just such a joy to play with.

·
John Roche
4,240 Posts
It doesn't matter whether they have magnets or not, I've got a routed track with copper tape

Seriously, I like parity. Some of my favourite cars are scratch built front engined GP cars. Due to the skinny tyres, a more powerful motor just increases wheelspin

john

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I really am not sure if i am a speed crazed moron as i do admit to owning scalextric transams but the story of this being i liked a mustang bought it and decided it was boring on its own so bought a camaro to race against it! i do also love to get a few mileseconds of my laptimes but i equally enjoy sliding a ninco xk120 arund the corners. so am i or am i not a speed crazed moron?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts