SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
9,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was alone at home tonight, putting away a bunch of new vintage parts and car purchases, and became somewhat overwhelmed with all the unfinished projects I have lying around....

For about the 10th time, I said to myself, you've got to stop buying and start building.... but then there's all that lovely STUFF that keeps coming up, on ebay, swap meets, flea markets, etc.

I have good intentions, but the only time I really seem to get cars finished is when a meet deadline is staring me in the face - then I manage to cobble together a couple cars: maybe one scratch, and a bunch of restorations, since I like testing them at last.

But tonight I really realized I've become a total squirrel, putting away slot car nuts for a rainy day - not to mention mixed metaphors...

I very much admire Al and Larry and Rocky and other guys who seem to finish their projects, but I don't seem to be of that race of men...

And here I am firing up the laptop instead of the soldering iron...

Welcome to the club?
Don

G

·
Don,
That is the story of my life, I aways seem to run out of time to finish everything and you can always sell me some of the vintage cars.

Best wishes,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Yes Don
this is what's happening to me (since I saw your cupboards I musst say in a smaller scale;).
I have no more than a dozen project/restoration but the call to Ebay with all those neat little accessories still in vintage packages and little bags!!! I tell to myself I really need those to make a better restoration.
And what about having a good stock of axles, screws etc etc.? Cannot work without them...
What about those wonderful vintage hubs (Ulrich? Let snatch them up before they disappear from the face of the earth and after all nice hubs are like nice shoes in an elegant woman

What about that Champion 601 motor to put in my race Cuc? I musst have it, you never know when I will have to race that!
And that Versitec SS91 chassis and motor in the box? I lusted after it when I was 13 and now I can have it for cheap (maybe it will cost 800£ but I stll find it the occasion of my life

And what about that ...

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't know what you chaps are on about. I plan very carefully. Choose one prototype to model each year, and work on it methodically until every last detail is finishe....

Sorry. I just couldn't keep it up. Is that a butterfly? An XJ12 would be a good idea. Talking of Jaguars, there's that old Maserati kit that I could take the wheels off- and that would leave a nice chassis for that BT8 I started carving ten years ago. If your feet smell and your nose runs, does that mean you're upside down? Damn. Can't find the BT8, but by jove- I've been looking for that 26D armature for ages! Now- where's that rewind wire? Aaah! Who'd have thought it! It was in the box with my half-built Maxi-Models kits! Brilliant! Those photographs in Motor Sport last month showed that little vent on the back just right. I could get the dremel on it right now. Drat. It's got a cutting disc in it instead of a grinder. Never mind- I could use it to shorten the axles for the Lola Mk6 while it's there. Good. Now where the heck are the wheels I was saving for it? Who put them in with the Patto decals that arrived last week? Not to worry- the paint's dry on the Howmet, so I might as well put the decals on anyway. Gosh is that the time? The Simpsons? Again?
Good lord- the Porsche 906 only needs the lead wires hooked up and it's a runner. Might as well. And if I could get the P4 just sitting on the chassis- don't have to screw it on or anything- it would look really nice beside it on the track. Damn. Doesn't quite fit. Is the cutting disc still in the dremel? Good- all I need to do is grind off that liitle bit of brass rod there, and- Whoops! Plug in the soldering iron then. That'll soon go back. I wonder what Mrs H would like for her birthday? When is her birthday, actually? Phew- that fingernail needs a trim. No-it's not a butterfly, it's a moth. Should those exhaust pipes be matt white or silver? I'd better get that book down and check it out. Oh boy- my Chaparral book! Havn't read that for yonks. Wait a minute- those wheels- I've got a set of them in that box over there- under the vacform Jag XJ12. Now that is a nice shell. Where was I? If Harry is short for Harold, is Barry short for Barold? Barold Sheene? Can that be right? Now there's an idea. Maybe you CAN get these MotoGP's to run well. Now if I took the escapement from grandad's clock for a sort of pendulum thingie, it would counterbalance it through the turns, and maybe I could make it lean a little...
Food. I think I need food........

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Glad I am not the only one.
Maybe we should set up a support group.
Best regards
Edo (expert in "I should be doing this now but let's wait til everything gets set up proprely by itself and in the meantime let's get more stuff so I can really start to work on this")

1 - 5 of 5 Posts