SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,there are many ways to win a race,hop up the motor,lighten the car,& driving skill. But for some of us who arent as talented as others,we can use slot tanks. They dont have to be fast,just well armed. So if you wanted to use one,which is best ?
Well 1st we have the ho scale Marusan Sherman tank. It is armed with a 75 mm gun & had up to 91 mm armour. 2nd we have a m48 Patton tank in ho scale by Aurora. It has a 105 mm gun & up to 120 mm of armour. Last we have the ho scale Conqueror tank by Minic. It has a 120 mm gun & up to 180 mm of armour. So what best to race & beat other slot cars ? The Sherman has the smallest gun,so it may not be able to score a hit on another car on a large track.
Then we have the m48 Patton tank. While its well armed,unfortunately the barrel is tied in a knot & i dont think the the crew has the will to win.
Last we have the conqueror tank which is well armoured & has a powerful gun which can hit its target on any track,large or small.
So i think the best slot tank to race with is the Minic Conqueror.
Thanks,Bernard

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
You beat me to it Bernard!

I've been wanting to start a topic like this for a long time, but mostly with scratch-built models... will add those when I can. Including a missile launcher slot car...

And if you're going for the military theme, you could also add the Carrera dogfight set... the Riggen German staff car, etc.

Don

PS: you seem awfully knowledgeable about tanks - army experience?

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,1st a photo of the ho Marchon jet fighters. 2nd a picture of the Riggen German staff car along with the Pink-Kar SS VW. Notice all passengers have blond hair. (what were they thinking ?)
3rd the Carrera dogfight set with the Starfighter & Mirage including the pilots. When 1 jet bumped the other in back the pilot would eject !
4th we have a picture of the Super Sabre set.The jet had 4 plastic missiles which could be fired from its nose toward the free standing large plastic target. Hope you enjoy the photos. Thanks,Bernard

·
Registered
98 Posts
This reminds me of a club racing night back in the 70s. I was managing a hobby shop at the time and we had a "demostrator" 1/32 scale radio-controlled Leopard tank. I took it to the race and in between classes everybody took a turn at seeing what kind of time they could do for 1 lap of the track with it. The biggest problem was getting used to the steering controls. The tank kept wanting to wander off to the side of the track where it would always try to climb over the crash wall and take a dive for the floor. The tank finished the evening intact but only because of some skillful catches by the turn marshals. We concluded that R/C tanks would not make a suitable future racing class.

M2

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Here are a couple of the military vehicles I've picked up over the years. The truck and missile launcher are both full slot car conversions - the truck maybe a more recent example, but it also features 4x4 power on the rear. The tank has a guide under it, with a holder, but the conversion doesn't seem to have been finished, since inside it's still the small battery powered motor and gear train from the model - maybe a Tamiya?

Don

·
redstar
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Don, the tank is a Stalin 3. These were Soviet heavy tanks used in the fall of Berlin & the final days of WW2. It had a 122mm gun,a great tank.It looks like an American is in the tank.
No armoured slot tank could beat it.
thanks for showing us,Bernard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts