SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comrades-

What are some of the reasons for a flashing green light at the base (below the color tab) vs. a flashing red light on the controller? I thought the controller flash (red) was low battery on that particular controller, but what would the flashing green light at the base tell me? After half a day of racing and testing various cars, the powerbase is starting to flash on every color and the flashing is not in unison between the 6 colors. I tried to re-bind different controllers, but that didn't seem to cure the problem. I have powered down the base and re-started. I am running my track right now without the arc app connected.

It is possible that the powerbase needs to cool off or is there something else that I could consider?

Thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dr. C-

I don't have that much to add. I had about 20 different digital cars (Pioneer, Scalextric, Slot.it) working flawlessly throughout the day with all 6 controllers. Suddenly, each one of the cars started hesitating and we noticed that the PB lights were occasionally blinking/flashing. It wasn't one particular controller or color, it was actually every one of them. I powered down the PB, turned back on, followed the steps to pair a few of the controllers again. Nothing seemed to cure the blinking green light.

I just powered the PB back on a few minutes ago after 2 hours and everything seems to be back to normal. I run the PB with the two standard Scalextric power packs.

I read that the flashing red light would indicate the need for a battery change on that controller, but I don't think I saw any info about what a flashing green light would mean other then when you perform the initial pairing of the PB and the controllers. Is there anything particular that would disrupt the PB connection to all 6 controllers at the same time?

I would just like to know what to do if it happens in the future. Sort of interrupted the fun we were having this afternoon.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
I've seen something similar once, together with unusual power fluctuations. There was a question mark about interference - there may have been an ARC Air pb powered up nearby - but I'm not sure... All six green lights on the powerbase were flashing.

What I did was to turn off the six controllers, one-by-one, until all the flashing green lights went out on the power base. One light (green or red controller?) took a while to go out after the controller was switched off. Then I unplugged the power supplies from the powerbase and everything was left alone for a couple of minutes. When the pb was powered up again, controllers turned on and app launched, everything was fine and continued to be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woodcote and Dr. C-

Thanks for the comments and advice. Here is my update on this phenomena. If I take a paired controller to the other side of my basement (perhaps 35 to 40 feet...12 meters) then I can replicate the flashing green light effect that I was seeing yesterday. The car will hesitate and act erratically, similar to what was happening yesterday when we were simply standing around my 7" by 14" table with the controllers within 2 meters of the power base. So, it seems that a connection problem caused by distance between the PB and the controllers will cause the occasional blinking of the green lights. Yesterday, it wasn't only one controller, but all 6 were having problems at the same time after 4 hours of flawless performance. All 6 drivers were around the table at the time.

I don't plan on racing my cars while standing on the opposite side of my basement, but I am wondering what an operator can try if the flashing/blinking happens mid-race or mid-afternoon like what happened yesterday? Are there particular devices that could cause interference specific to the Arc PB/controller connection? Is this connection Bluetooth of is that type of connection only with the PB/Tablet connection for Arc Pro?

I do enjoy the wireless controllers, but has anyone else experienced this trouble with the Scalextric controllers and the flashing green lights like we had yesterday?

Chris

·
novice jazz player &
6,268 Posts
Hi Chris,

If you seriously suspect radio frequency (rf) interference then one option would be to move the position of the microswitches on the underside of the powerbase and then to re-pair each of the wireless controllers. This changes the specific frequencies in use. That said, personally I have not experienced any rf interference issues with slot car wireless systems.

In terms of what devices are more likely to have potential to cause interference... broad bandwidth sources are the worst... such as 2.4GHz video senders.

C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr. C-

I should have read your introduction to wireless racing thread before I started asking questions about communications! Thanks for posting that information.

·
novice jazz player &
6,268 Posts
Not many of us currently understand whether the ARC shockburst protocol uses time division multiplexing or frequency division multiplexing so Rick may be 100% right or 100% wrong ;)

C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did check the batteries, but that didn't seem to change anything. There was definately something (either interference or because I had been using the powerbase for about 6 hours at the time) that caused each of the 6 controllers to start randomly blinking. After unplugging the unit and doing something else for about 3 or 4 hours, I turned the unit back on an everything was working perfectly again.

I was able to mimic this blinking problem by moving a controller about 35-40 feet from the powerbase. The controller/powerbase connection must be at its max at that distance, since the connection started to blink and the cars were hesitating.

I suppose my original reason for posting this phenomena was to see what I should do if/when this happens again? I powered everything down and restarted the PB plus controllers without success. I am wide open for suggestions so that it doesn't cut short our afternoon of racing again.

Thanks,

Chris.

·
novice jazz player &
6,268 Posts
Chris,
if it happens again I would try two things.
1/ change operating channel/s using the double microswitches.
2/ also try putting all the throttle controllers right next to the power i.e. within a few cm - this will maximise signal strength - does the problem vanish?

C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am having the blinking light problem again. All 6 of the controller connections are blinking green as if the controllers are out of range (they are not). It happened after about 60-90 minutes of racing and practice. I do not have the Magic app turned on right now for practice. Just using the track in stand alone mode right now, but was using the Magic app earlier.

Is there a prior post that describes the steps to change the operating channels using the microswitches?

·
novice jazz player &
6,268 Posts
Hi ChrisH, I am not sure if you are seeing interference (which is possible as the ARC PRO uses the same frequency band as other 2.4GHz devices including 2.4GHz wifi and both classic and LE Bluetooth as well as many toy products and high bandwidth video senders. That said, interference is very rare for very short range devices e.g. slot car controllers.

More likely is an intermitent fault especially as there is a ribbon cable which crosses over the top of the power MOSFETs which power the track... these are likely to get quite warm after 90 minutes of hard driving.

If you wish to change channel... record the position of the two microswitches on the underside of the ARC PRO, then move one or both to the opposite position. Then cycle the power on the powerbase, and then re-pair each of the (up to) 6 wireless controllers.

You are now running on a different set of channels.

Hope that helps... but still concerned you maybe have a heat related intermittent fault.

C

1 - 14 of 14 Posts