Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well I wouldn't rout asphalt but having a leftover roll of asphalt roofing paper I started thinking if i glue it down I may have a nice surface to race on. Anyone try anything like this? I'm not sure if it would be better to put it down then rout or rout then glue down and cut the slot out with a razor? Just thinking as I plan to build a new track soon

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can see how it would be tempting as a way to replicate an actual asphalt surface, but I have some concerns:

I think I'd try a little test sample first and see how well it routs. If the surface is granular, you might not get an even cut, and the granules might destroy your router blade in short order.

I'd also be concerned about the surface being too aggressive on tires, and damaging to car finishes on deslots. You might not get any tire sliding at all, resulting in something similar to using too much magnet.

You would probably have to lay your braid or tape on the underlayment rather than the track surface.

The granules might look too out of scale.

I see you're in NC. Offgassing asphalt indoors in the heat of summer? This stuff is meant for outdoor use.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Just a thouht: What the hell should be the reason for asphalting a slottrack? Smell, gases, dirty little gravels all over? Badly worn tyres and cargear?Just to get the old roll used? No need for grip or looks! Maybe just paint? Regards Jens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts