SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another uncommon model designed by PSK/GHOSTMODELS is this Aston Martin DB 2/4 S.

By crachepiquette at 2012-03-15[/img]

It was issued at the beginning of the present year and declined in three versions: Monte Carlo 1958, Tour de France 1959 and Sebring 1958. I chose to buy the last one. Some days later, I learned that the radiator grille was removed during this particular race. I wasn't really pleased by the appearance the model could have : Is an Aston Martin really an Aston Martin without having its legendary radiator grille?
So, I decided to get a purely fictional and personal version: A road car owned by a rich collector entering some local races at the beginning of the sixties.
The body will be painted in a deep blue or dark red (bordeaux) colour and the roof in a cream or ivory white colour.
The car will keep its bumpers. Registration plates and race number will be fictional. Exhausts have to be completely built as they are not provided with the kit.
The pilot looks a little bit crude and schematic. However, it will be uneasy to improve it. A good painting work should be necessary to give him a better appearance.
Some panels are not deeply enough engraved in the resin. They will be probably corrected with a metal point.
For the moment, I've just erased the additional air intake on the bonnet. A white primary has to be sprayed in order to detect some small mouldering flaws and scratches.

By crachepiquette at 2012-03-15

By crachepiquette at 2012-03-15[/img]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The resin shows some tiny bubbles that have to be filled with putty. It happens frequently with resin
shells.
The BRM wheels fit correctly inside the wheel arches, you just have to shorten the axles.
The rear registration plate has been slightly enlarged.
Exhausts building is in progress. They are made with various alloy and brass tubes and plasticart.
It's not really difficult to make it, but several tries were necessary to find the good size and right position.

By crachepiquette at 2012-03-22[/img]

By crachepiquette at 2012-03-22[/img]

By crachepiquette at 2012-03-22

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (fred42fr @ 23 Mar 2012, 13:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As I have to build some for mine, may I ask what is the diameter of the tube you chose
?

Hello Fred42fr,

I used 10 m/mm alloy tube (very easy to find in any Casto... or Leroy ...) and 2 m/m brass tube (but 3 m/m would be more accurate I guess).
I'm not at home this weekend, so I can't give you any other information. If you need some more details, please tell me.

P.S.: I saw your DB 2 4 and I found it very nicely and cleverly assembled

Cheers

·
Registered
320 Posts
QUOTE (HAPPY @ 23 Mar 2012, 22:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Fred42fr,

I used 10 m/mm alloy tube (very easy to find in any Casto... or Leroy ...) and 2 m/m brass tube (but 3 m/m would be more accurate I guess).
I'm not at home this weekend, so I can't give you any other information. If you need some more details, please tell me.

P.S.: I saw your DB 2 4 and I found it very nicely and cleverly assembled

Cheers
Thank you for both the information and your comments about my car

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
The likeness of your "pilot" to the real pilot is uncanny ...... well observed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It's been a long-lasting romance between airmen and sportcars...
Major Henry O'Neal de Hane Segrave (having twice survived being shot during World War I) earned a speed record on 11 march 1929 when piloting the " Golden arrow".
Major Josef "Pips" Priller, holding the position of Geschwader Kommodore of JG 26 "Schlageter" (operating in north west of France and Belgium) owned a BMW 328.
Many other examples could be related.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally opted for a non regular ivory and service brown livery...
Nearly three hours were necessary for masking carefully parts that had to stay in a chrome silver colour.

By crachepiquette at 2012-04-09

Light brown is a matt colour, as pastel powders doesn't stick correctly on lacquered tints. Black pastel was brushed around wheels arches, bumpers areas and lower body.
Light grey, beige and ochre pastels will later give some more dusty effect.

By crachepiquette at 2012-04-09

A full diluted dark earth wash will be applied on overall surfaces, specially underlining the intaglio engraving.
The whole colours and pastels will be fixed and unified with several bright varnish coats.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is inspiring stuff indeed. Your driver's face is brilliant - I don't know about Stanford Tuck but I can definitely see Terry Thomas as your caddish playboy racing driver! Really looking forward to the next instalment.

Roger

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (SL0TCAR @ 26 Apr 2012, 00:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Excellent paint job on the driver, and like Roger I too don't know much about Stanford Tuck.

But the driver is a stick-on for double World Champion Graham Hill.

Wonder if he ever got to drive one of those Astons?

Billy

I wonder too...

Being a left drive car; let's say that Jean Dujardin "The artitst" finally took place behind the steering wheeel...

By crachepiquette at 2012-04-27

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.