SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My disappointment with Scalextric's recent Aston Martin DB5 - shared with many on here, I know - together with the sky-high prices being fetched for Carrera's earlier model, prompted me to buy an Airfix kit.

Of course, being a numpty, I can't build chassis posts, but Rick (BritFix) offered to step in and this car and my Triumph Herald from the same series were returned with the sort of chassis posts that most RTR cars can only dream of.

In the case of the DB5 it also came with an interior that might as well have been tailor-made for the car.

As a result this build was easier than a shop-bought Slot.It! Here's the interior with the Sean Connery figure in place. He was made from a Ninco driver and the head from a Chinese rip-off of a Preiser figure and painted to resemble the very smart tweed ensemble worn by Connery when driving this car in Goldfinger. The steering wheel comes from the kit.

Here's the interior installed. Body painted in Humbrol Aluminium with Humbrol Silver Fox on the chromework... took a fair bit of filler to get the tail lights integrated. She sits on a standard PCS32 chassis and Scalextric wheels from the Ferrari 156 'sharknose'.

Now just waiting for the latest batch of decal paper to arrive to finish her with numberplates (BMT 216A) and GB plate. Already designed them on Paint (I know - very lo-tech!)

Once again, I can't thank Rick enough - on to the Herald now!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Great to see it finished, Nick - glad to see the cut-down MRRC interior was easy for you to use, and seems to have worked as well !

I can't let you get away with it - here's my Airfix-based DB5 ( MRRC reprint of Airfix shell, Airfix static kit bits, MRRC Cobra chassis, Ninco wheels ).

And I've seen the Herald in progress on Facebook somewhere ?

Cheers

RICK

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Beautiful cars! And great work on the drivers. Inspires me to re-work my MRRC DB5. The driver figure in mine wears a helmet and sits too low, barely able to see over the steering wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts