SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm using an OEM NOS Atlas 206 6v BB motor in my '60s F1 car for the upcoming proxy race. I chose this motor for two reasons, one, Professor Fate says it works, two, I think it'll work too

I sent the car out to a friend to test as I have no track. He said it ran for about three laps then quit cold. I got it back this evening and found that a commutator brush spring collapsed. Is this a common problem? I need to know fairly soon as I'd like to ship the cars this week but if this is a problem needing special springs I'll need to tend to it ASAP before sending it out.

The motor in this car is bone stock NOS. I took out the electrical items before soldering to the chassis so it didn't get any heat soak. The ball bearings were lightly lubricated with a thin oil and at no time did the drivetrain bind up.

Thank you for any input, even derogatory

·
Registered
64 Posts
ABill,

I was trying to use that motor for the F1 proxy as well. After building two of them, I gave up because of reliability problems. In each case the brushes were the weak point. They crumbled with minimal use and began arcing badly. I think the problem is that they are 30 years old. I have had similar problems with Pitman 196 motors. Andy at ABSlot tells me that he has a rebuild kit for them that might solve the problem.

Good luck...when they are running well, they're great.

Jim

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

The 206 is an interesting motor. In the day, Japanese production quality was not what it is now. The catch phrase was "cheap as a japanese...." I have had a number of 206s blow when power was applied the first time. And, in the day, I usually checked and replaced the springs. Often would find TWO springs, thread them together and fit them for more brush tension(did the same thing with the slightly later Hemi cans).

But once you are past that initial "bump" of quality control, they seem to run about forever, like a pittman.

I have a 208 powered Ferrari F1(seen in that grid photo from Vegas), that after dominating our club racing all through the 60s, 70s and 80s and half the 90s(never less than 10 wins each year), it FINALLY cooked a pole and needed replacing.

Fate

·
Registered
225 Posts
[I have a couple 206s , but have not used them for anything yet. I was dismayed that the rear axle bracket would not fit into my Resiliant resin lotus 25.
I will eventually find a good application for them. What gear are you using, and are you using 1/8 inch axles?
thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

These are cheap, these atlas's..... Sorry dude'

Anyway, on Ebay, "tigertompistone" always has dozens cheap with chassis and some with 1/24 F1 bodies if you want. Easy new, cheap. Fun.. Like a good date!

You can trade, but I warn you, you may come to like them, and be forced to seek out Chrissy Pistone and buy MANY.

Fate

·
Registered
119 Posts
Howmet,

Fate beat me to it. I was going to suggest the same. Chrissy has several 1/24 body / chassis / at206 combos on there right now for about $25. Try it, you'll like it. Oh yeah, 4 to 1 gearing is essential on a home track, or you'll just be smokin' tyres.

Jim

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim, I have plenty of spare motors, I got them from Chrissy earlier in the year
Thank you for the offer though. I should be there on Sunday as I need all the practice I can get.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Howmet,

Look here on ebay for one of Chrissy's auctions.

Super nice to deal with, no worries.

Jim

QUOTE (howmet tx @ 12 Jan 2005, 14:14)Thanks folks- this I must do. But how do I contact Chrissy Pistone?
Obviously someone who needs no introduction, except to sad old shut-ins like the TX.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 11 Jan 2005, 09:16)I've never, ever tried an Atlas motor, but this discussion has me intrigued. Willing to sell/exchange any, Subdude?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Howmet
Think the motor was sold in the UK as the "Rikobomb" if it's the one with the green wire and ball raced arm.

[oneofwos]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.