SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have been asked countless times "Where can I find a good chassis jig"

Well, I heard from the machine shop and I have the quote.....
Not what I was hoping for but not too bad either...

I will be selling the chassis jig for 49.95 plus shipping and handling and the jig wheels for 3.25 a set for the 3/4" wheels and 3.50 a set for the 13/16 jig wheels for the rear....

This is what I am having made up........

http://getyourwebsitehere.com/scratchbuilt...sblocks_02.html

The jig plate is something that you can buy and make up your self using 1/16" thick aluminum or PC board...

I have used this jig and the old Russkit Adjust-O-Jig that it is based on for years, and it is one of the easiest jigs I have seen to use.... And with the addition of the jig plate and the jig wheels you can safely use a torch for all your soldering.. The jig plate set up your ground clearance and also is a nice flat surface to layout and solder your chassis parts on......

Anyone interested please contact me at [email protected] or if you have any questions feel free to email me......

I hope to have them by the end of the month or the first of the year

Thanks

Chris.......

·
John Roche
4,157 Posts
I have a similar jig, in fact I was using it this weekend.

It is interesting that not so many members view scratchbuilding posts. Is it a dying art? I hope not.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been using this jig since Dave England designed it and had a limited number of them produced back-then. I think I can say that without it, chances are that I would not have been a scratchbuilder today. The Russkit is a rare and expensive sight on eBay, and I found that slate blocks needed more experience than I had as a beginner. With this jig though, it is extremely easy to achieve an even ride height, the correct axle width, correct alignment etc., thus effectively eliminating a lot of the frustrations you'll otherwise encounter. Almost all of my proxy cars have started their life on this jig, and some of them have been quite successful.

The number produced at the time was very limited and all of them were quickly gone. It is really great news for new and old builders that this jig once again will become available. I for one will recommend them to everybody. Kudos to Chris for taking the financial risk of having them produced!

Regards,
Erling, Norway.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi John

Yes, to a degree it is....... And that is sad.. But for some reason many people who contact me on building think that scratch building is some dark art and you need to be an engineer to build a chassis...... And that is just not true.......

What you need is some patients, the right tools ( most of which they more than likely have on the work bench or in the garage ) and the desire to build a better mouse trap :)

If you are like me, one of the older menders of the group.. When we started racing we started with the good old kit cars.... From those we learned to build our own cars and learned how to put a car together and what made it work and why.....

Most of today's racers were brought up with the RTR cars.... So they missed that fun part of the hobby..... And they missed that learning experience... You see this all the time on some of the other boards.... Why doesn't my car run right?? how do I change the braid?? How do I get the motor out or in most cases keep the motor from popping our??
Granted it doesn't take long to learn these things.. But if there were more kit cars out there on the market, they would learn these things while putting the car together....

Now before the RTR guys start jumping all over me.. There is nothing wrong with RTR cars.. Well, there is nothing wrong with the detail of the bodies, but the quality of the chassis and running gear is not what I would call good.... I see no reason for a car costing 45+ dollars to have out of round wheels, wheels falling off the car, the tires rubbing on the body or the gears eating themselves in the first few weeks you own the car...... Okay I am done with my rant on the RTR cars now :))

But the one thing I have heard from budding scratch builders is that they have no jig to get started with.... And I have found that a jig of some type is a must have item to get started building with... And easy simple platform to set up the chassis with and keep the front and rear axles parallel.... I am hoping that this jig will fill the void and help new builders get started.....

Scratch building is just and extension of the hobby.... We all love to race..... But for me building my own car from a pile of brass is as much fun as racing them.... Nothing beats seeing something that I build screaming around the track......

Chris

·
John Roche
4,157 Posts
I couldn't agree more Chris. Most of my carts are RTr but there are some that aren't available. I'm currently building front engined GP cars using Mac Pinches excellent resin bodies. My chassis aren't very elegant but each is a slight improvement on the last.

I'm only just getting back into slots as I don't do much in the summer, too many other distractions.

cheers,

John

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<<My chassis aren't very elegant but each is a slight improvement on the last.>>

Never got into the old GP cars.... But that is the nice thing about building your own. You can make a chassis for just about any car out there.....

And your right the more you do the better you get at building them.... All anyone has to do is give it a try.... Over time and by talking to other builders and looking at different chassis and designs you learn the little tricks to make your chassis better......

Chris.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Briggs,
Any news on the jig front?
BTW, have you thought out a name for them? As Adjust-O-Jig is taken, how about Jig-O-Lo??

Erling.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tony

if you havent already send me a email to [email protected] so I can put you on the list.......

Chris.......

Erling

Jig-O-Lo?? now thats a LOW blow

As for news... all I can say is they are being made.... I had a call from one of the guys at the shop the other day to go over a few of the details of the jig and the materials are in and I hope work has started..... I was told it would take 2 weeks. But I am not holding my breath
All I can hope for now it to have them some time this month ( right and the check is in the mail :) )

Chris.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
QUOTE (JBriggsK9 @ 11 Dec 2003, 08:42 PM)All I can hope for now it to have them some time this month ( right and the check is in the mail :) )
As long as the shop does a good job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts