SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to make up a base board that I need to attach my Scaley Sport track to...however when it's not in use I want to have the board on a hinge so it goes flat against the wall.

What would the best way to attatch the track to the board so it doesn't fall off when it is in the vertical position?

Alan

·
Registered
20 Posts
QUOTE (derekaluk @ 23 Aug 2004, 01:47)Hi,

I'm going to make up a base board that I need to attach my Scaley Sport track to...however when it's not in use I want to have the board on a hinge so it goes flat against the wall.

What would the best way to attatch the track to the board so it doesn't fall off when it is in the vertical position?

Alan
If you are going to use a dense material like plywood or MDF you should buy the track clips Scalex sells and run TEK screws through them. If you want a lightweight base like extruded styrene or fibre board hot glue might work well. I would fasten down six out of ten sections so you have a chance to seperate the layout if need be. I am finding the curves are sliding on my layout.

Rand

·
Registered
20 Posts
TEK is probably copywrited, sorry. They were invented for automobile plants, where they had so much trouble making holes that lined up in adjacent sheet metal pieces (mostly on the interior.)

TEK screws are self-drilling, self-tapping, and contain an intgrated washer that can be used in iron or wood. All the screws I have seen have hex heads. The smaller ones work very well in a cordless drill. Buy the arbor for a screwgun and just put it in the jaws and chuck it lightly.

Hang on, this page is so slow to load, la-dee-dee-da-da...

OKay, these are the small ones you want if that link works. Print it out and bring it to your hardware store.

Rand

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi Alan

My track is stuck down with Copydex. It holds the track firmly but so long as you only use say two blobs per straight you can lift it off again if you have to for maintenance, etc. The glue also rubs of the plastic track quite easily if you want start over.

Silicone sealant has similar properties and a number of the guys on this forum have used that.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would Copydex be strong enough to hold the track to the board even when it is vertical against a wall??

Alan

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Make up your mind!

Do you want it on, or off?

If it is strong enough to hold all of it when positioned vertically (almost all of the weight is put onto the bottom piece), then it will be too strong to remove when you want to...

I suggest silicone sealant as the best thing if you want to remove it (and hope that it holds).

Or go for a grab adhesive (and hope it comes off later).

McLaren

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE (derekaluk @ 24 Aug 2004, 22:19)Would Copydex be strong enough to hold the track to the board even when it is vertical against a wall??

Alan
I reckon it would be fine. If you've got some Copydex why not do a test with just a couple of pieces of track on a board.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL I want it on but I want to be able to get it off again should I change my mind!!

I will have to get some Copydex and give it a try out
Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still might do!!

I'm just looking for the easiest method to do what I want. Screws or glues...that is the question!

I think the screws gets the nos at the moment...but the Copydex idea sounds good as I know it's not the strongets glue in the world and would come off if need be and would be a lot quicker than screwing it all down.

Alan

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey guys I hope this guy likes the smell of fish........ Copydex hahahaha!

Doug

1 - 16 of 16 Posts