SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trawled the 'net for information on race entries etc for the O1-1C as I have read they were referred (join the two 1's and the comma and re-read, is it a joke?) I have found no list of events entered, just the odd snippet here and there. There are some excellent pictures of a chassis less body, but very limited pictures otherwise, the same ones appearing time and again.

All I have so far is;

Crystal Palace, not sure which year, won its' race.
Donnington, 1938 Nuffield Trophy, Bert Hadley, pipped to the post by Bira.
Brooklands International Trophy. 1936 (?).

Thanks, Peter.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There was an article in a very recent edition of Classic and Sportscar (can't remember exactly which one and I'm not at home to check back issues but I'm sure it's within the last three months) that may shed some more light.

Roger

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
The article is a little thin on detail.

1936 Easter Brooklands
5 and 10 mile records at Monlhery (year?)
1936 Frieberg Hillclimb (3rd to Merc and Auto union (!)
1936 'successes at Shelsey and Donington
Aug 39 meeting at Crystal Palace

Not a lot of help really...

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ed, welcome to the Forum. Yes, I saw that site some while back. Unfortunately the white car shown is not a Twin Cam but a sidevalve racer. A look at the brakes show a lack of the distinctive Twin Cam brake backplates.

The Freiberg event in 1936 I think had only one Austin entry, that of Walter Baumer. This gentleman was at the time running a factory side valve car. the old Jamieson sprint car, so obviously suited to hillclimbs.

One odd suggestion is that Baumer also ran a T/C in the 1936 Eifelrennen at the Nurburgring where he came 5th, but the only picture I have found suggests a side valver, again probably the ex-Jamieson car.

I didn't know about the record breaking. Another search!

Pictures when I find them...

Thanks for the responses so far, Peter.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Have you already spotted this web site with photos of the cars at the 1937 LCC Relay Race at Brooklands.
http://www.austinharris.co.uk/car/austin/s.../works/twin-cam

Bill Boddy's book says the winners of this race in June 1937 were H L Hadley, C L Goodacre and Mrs K Petre and shows a very similar photo to the first photo on the web site which Boddy says are Kay Petre, Charles Goodacre and Bert Hadley being congratulated after winning the Light Car Club Relay.

Boddy's book also shows a photo Bert Hadley winning Austin in a handicap race in July 1937 at Brooklands.

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
I have just had a dif through some of my books, found these in;

Howe, Earl, (ed.), 'Motor Racing', London, 1944

What makes you think that I am a student?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I don't know if you have seen the Twin Cam Austin at Donington Museum (if it is still there since they have been flogging off most of the best cars from the collection!!)

Copyright probably Doug Nye/Geoff Goddard/Donington Museum

The twin cam pictured here with the side-valve in "The Classic Single-Seaters", the Donington Collection book by Doug Nye.

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Just in case you haven't seen it, there is a letter and a photograph about the Austin Twin Cam driven by Walter Baumer at the 1936 Eifel race in the February 2012 Classic and Sports Car magazine. The picture does seem to me to be a side valve version.

David

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi David.

I have come across several S/V Austin single seaters erroniously captioned as Twin Cam cars, and would guess this might be the reason that the cars have been described as 'being painted white for a period.

I've just ordered the Motor Sport 1924-49 Digital Archives to help with my various research needs, so will hopefully eventually be able to determine most T/Cam events.

Peter.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whilst the camera lies a lot these days, original pictures are a safer bet, so here are a couple, both published with the knd permission of 'Motor Sport'.

There we have it, it isn't green, I reckon it must be white. This is Dodson driving at the International Trophy meeting at Brooklands in 1936. The twin cam debut was meant to have been at Donnington but the handicapping was against the Austins. Dosdon was entered in the Easter Brooklands meeting but crashed in practice.

Here is Dodson again at the Isle of Man International races in 1936. Same car I assume. He was flagged off after failing to finish within the alloted time.

I note that the fuel filler seems to be in the head fairing rather to one side and also at this point the cars don't have the 'doors' seen in later pictures.

Peter.

·
Dave Capelen
2,768 Posts
Interesting photos Peter.

I can confirm the second shot shows Onchan, in the Isle of Man. The course in those days came down Avondale Road and turned right into Main Road. The "Manx Arms" pub, still there as a pub, is on the left of the corner as we look at it, where the spectator is standing - Health and Safety would have a fit today - and the Manx Co-Op on the right hand corner....I used to live about a hundred yards away from that spot as a young kid, but not in the days this photo was taken!

In the late 1950's, the Clypse Course of about 9 miles was used for the TT motorcycle races for the 125cc, 250cc and sidecar races, in preference to the full IOM TT Course. The bikes approached the Co-Op from the right in the photo and then turned right up the hill into Avondale Road, then left at Signpost Corner on the TT course and back to the TT Grandstand via Governor's Bridge, as on the full TT Course. I did watch the bike races with my parents, at that very spot, but from the near side of the road, not by the pub.

Charlie Dodson of course was also a competitor in the IOM TT motorcycle races.

Cheers
Dave

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
QUOTE Everyone should drive to work in one of these

When I first learnt to drive about 12 years ago I used my dad's A7 Ulster for about the first 6 months of my driving life until I got a "modern" Mini van. My brother also used the Ulster when he learnt to drive, we both thought we were pretty cool..... It was a really cheap way to go driving as the insurance was dirt cheap and the 750cc engine didn't use an awful lot of petrol. The car still belongs to my dad and he has owned it for about 25 years, good times.

Pete

·
Registered
213 Posts
A wuestion of scale. I have the AA Bodies Austin 7 and know that George Turner also does the body--which is more accurate in scale to the 1:1???

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Charlie Fitzpatrick also produces a resin shell of the car in his "Classic" range and I remember him racing it at Wolverhampton a few years ago. I can't answer which maker is the most accurate though.

A link to drawings of the car if it helps.

austin

David

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think I collect everything!!! One of the things I seem to acquire is racing posters. I use them for rotating desktop backgrounds and inspiration, This afternoon this one popped up and thought I would share it. It is an old cigar box ad. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Interesting

Obviously Donnington

I seem to remember in one of Chula's Bira books that the works painted a side valve car blue for Bira and the green car is the later ohv car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts