SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Peter Seager-Thomas
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trawled the 'net for information on race entries etc for the O1-1C as I have read they were referred (join the two 1's and the comma and re-read, is it a joke?) I have found no list of events entered, just the odd snippet here and there. There are some excellent pictures of a chassis less body, but very limited pictures otherwise, the same ones appearing time and again.

All I have so far is;

Crystal Palace, not sure which year, won its' race.
Donnington, 1938 Nuffield Trophy, Bert Hadley, pipped to the post by Bira.
Brooklands International Trophy. 1936 (?).

Thanks, Peter.

· Peter Seager-Thomas
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ed, welcome to the Forum. Yes, I saw that site some while back. Unfortunately the white car shown is not a Twin Cam but a sidevalve racer. A look at the brakes show a lack of the distinctive Twin Cam brake backplates.

The Freiberg event in 1936 I think had only one Austin entry, that of Walter Baumer. This gentleman was at the time running a factory side valve car. the old Jamieson sprint car, so obviously suited to hillclimbs.

One odd suggestion is that Baumer also ran a T/C in the 1936 Eifelrennen at the Nurburgring where he came 5th, but the only picture I have found suggests a side valver, again probably the ex-Jamieson car.

I didn't know about the record breaking. Another search!

Pictures when I find them...

Thanks for the responses so far, Peter.

· Peter Seager-Thomas
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi David.

I have come across several S/V Austin single seaters erroniously captioned as Twin Cam cars, and would guess this might be the reason that the cars have been described as 'being painted white for a period.

I've just ordered the Motor Sport 1924-49 Digital Archives to help with my various research needs, so will hopefully eventually be able to determine most T/Cam events.

Peter.

· Peter Seager-Thomas
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whilst the camera lies a lot these days, original pictures are a safer bet, so here are a couple, both published with the knd permission of 'Motor Sport'.

There we have it, it isn't green, I reckon it must be white. This is Dodson driving at the International Trophy meeting at Brooklands in 1936. The twin cam debut was meant to have been at Donnington but the handicapping was against the Austins. Dosdon was entered in the Easter Brooklands meeting but crashed in practice.

Here is Dodson again at the Isle of Man International races in 1936. Same car I assume. He was flagged off after failing to finish within the alloted time.

I note that the fuel filler seems to be in the head fairing rather to one side and also at this point the cars don't have the 'doors' seen in later pictures.

Peter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.