SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Dave Capelen
2,784 Posts
Interesting photos Peter.

I can confirm the second shot shows Onchan, in the Isle of Man. The course in those days came down Avondale Road and turned right into Main Road. The "Manx Arms" pub, still there as a pub, is on the left of the corner as we look at it, where the spectator is standing - Health and Safety would have a fit today - and the Manx Co-Op on the right hand corner....I used to live about a hundred yards away from that spot as a young kid, but not in the days this photo was taken!

In the late 1950's, the Clypse Course of about 9 miles was used for the TT motorcycle races for the 125cc, 250cc and sidecar races, in preference to the full IOM TT Course. The bikes approached the Co-Op from the right in the photo and then turned right up the hill into Avondale Road, then left at Signpost Corner on the TT course and back to the TT Grandstand via Governor's Bridge, as on the full TT Course. I did watch the bike races with my parents, at that very spot, but from the near side of the road, not by the pub.

Charlie Dodson of course was also a competitor in the IOM TT motorcycle races.

Cheers
Dave

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.