SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The 2011 Australian Scalextric Grand Prix is on again over the weekend of July 15, 16, and 17th with Sunday being the Grand Prix for both Junior and Open.

Apologies for the delays announcing dates but we have been awaiting confirmation of television coverage leading up to the event with major Australian television broadcaster Channel 10 News.

We plan to run an auction, barbeque and practice night on Friday 15th July.

On Saturday 16th July we will hold a 3 Hour Team Endurance Race which includes 3 drivers in 6 teams. This event is limited to 18 drivers.

Sunday 17th July is the Grand Prix. The Junior Grand Prix starting just after 10.00 am with the winner getting a free entry into the Open Grand Prix. We expect this to commence about midday. There are 24 Junior places available and 33 Open places.

A free sausage sizzle will run most of Sunday, and there will be radio control demonstrations and free drives from Traxxas and Team Losi with a couple of RC brands yet to confirm their attendance. All shop items will be on sale so bring your credit cards.

Clontarf is a beachside suburb 30 minutes north of the Brisbane CBD. There is cheap accomodation and plenty of restaurants to visit, so we hope we can attract more distant racers. Any assistance or information you require can be supplied by request.

The Alain Prost Williams 1993 Formula 1 car (C3094) is the GP car to be raced this year. All cars will be pre-tested and we have back up cars if cars fail prior to running of the event. Early entry is required as we will be supplying the car and a Toolkit to all early entrants.

Trophies and Scalextric Slot Car Sets will be awarded to winners and trophies and Scalextric cars for minor places.

Great racing awaits all the competitors who will be joining us on the day.

Contact the staff at Red Racer Hobbies and organize your place today. ( Australian Residents 07 3284 4888)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys , I was getting the post above ready and Daughter No7( 18mths) hit the launch button with her heel whilst sitting in my lap before I was done.

The Staff at Redracer asked if I could post this on Slotforum given the success of the posting here last year.

I'll post a few photos of the newly completed track, once I try and reduce the size.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Looks like a great event. Looking forward to seeing some photos and videos post race.

·
Registered
899 Posts
QUOTE Excellent event to go to and take part in. A big success last year. Good luck again this year.

Those cars look good, don't they!

It's no fluke we are using them Adrian. A couple of us tested a few other cars before we deciding hands down to race this one. Not only do they look good, these particular Williams Prost cars are suited to this circuit. Very fast, predictable and if you get loose you do get a moment to get it all back together. I haven't had a look to see how they compare to last years cars although the track has been reconfigured for 2011 so I guess a whole new ball game.

The little tool kit for all the competitors is a nice touch too.

QUOTE You should think about posting this on auslot.

I'll let the guys who Mod that board take care of that. I'm sure they know where best to place the notice.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
Will make sure I pop up and say hello uk

They are good looking cars -that and the Senna one are tempting me big time to double my Scalextric F1 collection
cheers
David

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just a great pair of cars Mr Mouse. Very photogenic and a real blast to race against each other.

QUOTE Arraignments and plans are already set - I will be 5 to 10min away from Clontaf BUT in August!

Dont worry, there is always someone looking for a race. Give the staff at Redracer a call and organize to turn up on a race night during your visit.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posted this in another forum for another reason. But heres the latest photo of the Grand Prix circuit we'll be using. Slightly different to last year, the tracks been reconfigured to make it a little more user friendly. Only thing is now its wicked fast.

Apparently, the Saturday arvo 3hr enduro has three team spots already filled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping to make the journey down this year and take part. Could you tell me a little more about the Satuday racing and the Sunday racing.

1/ Is the Saturday race open to everyone.

2/ What are the rules for the Sunday race. Last year I noticed the cars were kept away from the racers until they needed them for the race.

3/ What age for the juniors and is their race the same as the bigger guys..

Sorry to ask but we will be travelling so I'm hoping the kids dont just get a quick race and then its all over for them. Any other information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry about the slow reply. The Saturday Endurance race is open to whomever wishes to take part up to the point when the teams have been filled. You'll need to contact the staff at Red Racer and book yourself a team or see if a spot is available in an existing team. If you cant get a spot and your going to travel a fair distance, your welcome to my spot. Its a cracker team. Bring your kids along to watch you and when you crash, they can "encourage" you not to do it again
The event runs all weekend and by the sound of it the staff are going to be spending alot of time at the shop.

The rules for the Sunday race are simple. The Scalextric Formula 1 car is a formidable little piece of work in the hands of a good racer. The real test is to see who can drive this little car all day and get their car to the finish line in one piece before anyone else. So 'NOT' driving the car beyond its capabilities is the real challenge. The cars will be tested for race readiness prior to the event and during the event the cars are kept away from any potential 'adjustments'. If you get you car bedded in the opening heats you'll do fine. The juniors are kids up to 14 yrs and Opens 15 and older.

The only rule really is that all competitors must keep their hands away from all cars during the race and the assigned track Marshalls are in charge of re-slotting any crashed cars. This prevents anyone knocking (and possibly breaking) another competitors car. Last year we did not have to make any decisions so it was a pretty successful day in that regard. So everything was cool.

At the end of last years event we ended up with a mixture of home racers and local racers who figured in the finals so I guess no real home town advantage. The track has only recently been reconfigured so at this time no one person is too familiar with the track so far..

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just putting this up to let everyone who reads this board in Australia know that the entries for the event are now open. The track will be open for practice Friday night and Saturday leading up to the Sat Endurance event giving all the interstate travellers plenty of time to get familiar with the layout and meet a few of the locals. Make sure you get in early, the shop has been getting daily phone call enquiries for bookings.

Channel 10 will cover the event and will be there Sunday for anyone who wants to get their head on the tele. Live band on Sunday at lunch.

Keep an eye out for the event on Ten Evening News July 8th.

Red Racer Grand Prix details

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Channel 10 News Story Red Racer Grand prix

Just a small grab ahead of the Grand prix. Just hang in there until the advert before is over. Should only be 30secs.

Small update: A television Crew will be out there on Saturday to film the Enduro event and interview the spectators and racers about all that is happening. Another crew will be filming the race on Sunday.

I guess we had all better get ourselves along to the beauty shop. I'd better go now. Got help us we should come of as your typical slot car racers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts