SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've got the Autoart Impreza which I run without magnets on Classic track, it's a nice smooth car that requires driving round the corners, it's good fun and requires skill to drive, but it won't corner anywhere near as well as a Ninco Impreza.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
AutoArt is a mixed bag as far as I am concerned.

I have the Shelby Cobra Concept which I chipped for SSD and it is a very quick car - faster than the Scaley SuperResistant F430 (that's my benchmark for a quick SSD racer).

The only problem with the Cobra is the rear wheels came loose on the axle and had to be superglued. The same thing happened on my racing buddy's identical car.

I also have the AutoArt Lancer and it is not good. The guide is too shallow and it deslots way too often. I also had a problem with the pinion coming loose and needing superglue. I could fit a deeper guide but the AutoArt guide has a little pin for the self-centring mechanism so a deeper guide would need some mods before fitting.

Finally - I have the AutoArt Mustang road car version. I haven't driven it much but it seems to go OK.

AutoArt's finish is absolutely superb - best I have seen on a slot car. The mechanicals look good (bronze axle bearings, sprung guides (vertically sprung), self centring mechanism etc.) but are in need of superglue to keep them all together!

If you can pick one up for around £15 I think it represents good value providing you are prepared to do a little work as I described.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They need to be OK for small boys aged 4 to 43. So magnates are required but there is no point in buying them if you can lap at full throttle without them leaving the track.

The depth of the guide is what concerns me the most. If it keeps de-slotting the children will get annoyed.

My benchmark for multi-age kiddie driving is the SCX NASCAR. Quite quick, needs a bit of skill (but not too much) and can hit the skirting boards at full speed without breaking. We've badly damaged an SCX DTM Merc by hitting a wall. Oops. It still goes OK bit it sounds like a tractor now.

Scalextric Audi TTs are OK for the boys too, but the dads get a bit bored of them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've got the 911 Carrera S, 911 GT3, Mustang GT and the BMW M3 GTR. Great looking slot cars and they don't run as bad as what most people say they do. My 911 Carrera S runs really well, no mods at all, the 911 GT3 had the tyres glued as did the Mustang and the BMW I run stock as well. Well worth a look at for the prices you can pick them up for.

Matt

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
With their magnets fitted (which are quite good but not overpowered) they are quick and WILL leave the track on any radius turn with full power.

If you have the APB or SSDC you can turn the power down for the littlest ones so they come off on the tighter turns but not on every turn. I did this with my then 5 year old until he got the hang of things (didn't take long). Power of 60% on my layout meant he could come off on the two hairpins but not anywhere else. I gradually increased his power and he soon learned to back off in the right places.

In terms of quickness I would rate the AutoArt cars I have as very similar to standard Scalextric cars. The Cobra is a bit quicker and the Lancer about the same as the Scalextric 997s.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

As said elsewhere,Auto Art cars are well made have nice detail and can take knocks, however they normally require modifications.
My main complaint is the tyres they are fitted with.No grip,to narrow (Porsche, and Fairlady) and they almost always require gluing.
With a bit of work and better tyres you can get them to run quite well.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
I've got the yellow Porsche 997 Carrera and I think it's great - even though the rear-mounted motor requires a heap of weight in the nose, just like Fly. Very driftable and one of the fastest in our club class for AA supercars.

I've gone all-out on upgrading a cheapie Peugeot 206 WRC to the tune of more than £20, but so long as the pinions are OK then they'll run. If you're fussy and want tyres to fit them go to WASP.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Since the price of AutoArts dropped I've picked up a Peugeot 206WRC that's been treated to Slot.It running gear, a Peugeot 307WRC that's still in stock trim, a pair of Xsara WRCs (one for repainting), a pair of Imprezas and four Porsches - 996 GT3R, 997 Carrera, 997 GT3RS and 997 GT3 Cup.

All very pretty and I can tinker with them until I'm old and grey!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here's my mini review on the 2 Porsche 911 GT3s.

Price = £12.99 each +P&P

Appearance = Very good with lots of detail. Nice paint job. The driver and passenger look a little small making the car appear to have been stolen by a couple of 13 year olds. I saw the Mustang models too and they were much better in the flesh than I'd seen in photos.

Build quality = Hmmm… managed to pop the rear axle out of one of them just by handling it and the rear spoiler had to be glued back on after the first roll. Wing mirrors have no "give" in them so I can't see them lasting long.

Run ability = The guides were too deep and wide for my ratty old Scalextric Classic track so they needed a bit of sanding. They are not the quickest but as they will race against each other this isn't an issue. They are not as "slidey" in the bends as my various SCX cars (run with magnets at minimum setting). No issues with tires not fitting or pinions spinning on shafts.

Overall impression = Good looking cars, but I wouldn''t pay more than £12.99 for them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Harry,

For that price they are actually a bargain.I have the exact same Porsche's as illustrated in your pic
Picked up the same problem as you.First thing that comes off is the rear wing. The mirrors will also find their way into one of the slots of your track.If I may suggest prise them out now(they are a press fit) and glue them.

I have fitted other tyres to mine and they now go quite well.My blue one is a bit battered from too many spills.

Cheers
Bryan

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW! Swapped the braids out for MB SLOT ones and the difference is incredible! Which begs the question... Why did AutoArt compromise their cars with rubbish ones? Cost can't be that much of a factor as a reel of MB Slot costs a fiver, so 1 set of braids is about 30p retail, so it must be sod all wholesale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts