Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Love reading this forum. I just bought an Auto World HO Drag Strip. In lane 1 the car sometimes just stys there. Other times it takes off fine. I was thinking the rail may not be tall enough. Wanted some ideas before I start surgery. No problems any where else in that lane, just the starting gate. Thanks, Tim

·
Steven Dudley
644 Posts
Not sure if anyone's got one these here in the UK who can help or advise if they've experienced same problem. If it's new could you not take it back under warranty? Can anyone help Tim please?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Hi Tim,

Are you in the UK?

Is it with either car in lane one or just one?

Your problem could be 2 or 3 things, a bad connection or a low rail on the start straight, a weak spring on the pick-up shoe/bad connection, or a dirty start straight.

The chassis is an old Aurora design re-popped by Auto World and the QC is not that good, saying that, if it one car we can help with a soluton, as we at AVHORA race the old Aurora chassis!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
We had two strips running all day at the recent UK Festival, so this sound more like bad luck.

Try different chassis, primping the shoes etc. If this only gives inconsistent results then it sounds as if the strip will have to go back.

Just out of interest which strip did you get? There are several versions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steve D and slowracer, Slowracer I'm in SW Louisiana, USA. Sometimes wish I was back in Europe, Seems like a few things I'm interested in are more popular over there, as opposed to here. Slots, plastic models, and snooker. Lots of folks here in the US don't even know what snooker is. Back to the subject at hand. The problem is with one lane. Lane #1. Someone mentioned possibly a low rail. Any special technique for lifting it other than just catching hold of it where you can or coming in from the bottom of the track and pushing up. Thanks again, Tim

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Before you start moving the rail around, there are a few other things to check.

Does the problem happen with different cars on the same lane? All cars means a lane issue.

Clean the rails with some fine emery or sandpaper to remove any residue. Just a few gentle wipes is enough, then wipe after with some clean cloth to remove any dust.

If that doesn't sort it then feel the rail with your fingertip. Does it feel low? It should be about the thickness of thin card above the track surface.

If it is low, check that the plastic track is not warped. A gentle bend may ease the rail up. If not, the rail can be gently tapped back up form underneath. The track is held into the rail slot with little crimps. These can be seen and gently tapped to move the rail up.

andy

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
QUOTE (AndySlots @ 16 Jun 2012, 16:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Before you start moving the rail around, there are a few other things to check.

Does the problem happen with different cars on the same lane? All cars means a lane issue.

Clean the rails with some fine emery or sandpaper to remove any residue. Just a few gentle wipes is enough, then wipe after with some clean cloth to remove any dust.

If that doesn't sort it then feel the rail with your fingertip. Does it feel low? It should be about the thickness of thin card above the track surface.

If it is low, check that the plastic track is not warped. A gentle bend may ease the rail up. If not, the rail can be gently tapped back up form underneath. The track is held into the rail slot with little crimps. These can be seen and gently tapped to move the rail up.

andy

As usual, FLBT to the rescue...! Good advice Andy

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
I am a 1/32 slot fan but recently bought an AW drag set and had this exact problem. I am a emailed the supplier who sent out another, same issue. It happened with two of the Legend cars la Charger and Mustang but not with Top Fuel Dragsters. After many runs I could see some light wear on the plastic that surround the traction magnets. With a small craft knife I shaved off some of this plastic and it has improved it a lot. The cars in the set were the TFD cars so there wasn't an issue with them at all.

This set has been so much fun that I have planned to build a drag strip myself so I am not too concerned and have sorted out my issue with this set anyway.

Cheers,
Damo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts