SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE How about we put some well thought out and informed ideas down here over this week for track improvements that COULD be useful and give an edge. I will present it to them at the weekend.

Ideas for a new track system - off the top of my head.
I may edit and add to it later.

SIZE & LANE SPACING
I dont see a market for a track footprint any BIGGER than Carrera I am 100% sure of that.

Also definite that it should match the geometry of an existing system and provide adapters to that system. This would encourage existing racers to sample the new system, with the confidence that it will fit in with what they already have.

Whether the target lane spacing and geometry should be Carrera, Ninco or Scalextric, I am not so sure. I think Scalextric has the biggest market and is probably the favourite to emulate. On the other hand, there are customers who prefer the slightly wider spacing of Ninco and Carrera. A VERY hard decision!

COLOUR
I much prefer a medium/dark gray as opposed to shiny black but I may be in a minority. No white lines between lanes.

SURFACE TEXTURE
Again, personal preference is heavily towards smooth texture. If it is made of the right material, a smooth surface can provide BETTER adhesion than rough surfaces. Smoother surface also provides quieter running - a point not often noted. it is also MUCH easier on human skin when handling - another point rarely made.

TRACK MATERIALS
My personal preference is for the plastic track body to be of a material possessing attributes partway between the flexibility of current Scalextric Sport and relatively rigid Carrera tracks.

Rails should definitely be stainless as per Artin and Carrera at the expense of ultimate magnetic attraction. Magnets can always be added to cars but resistance to corrosion is FAR more important.

The slot should definitely be lined and defined by a plastic groove section which imparts overall stiffness, inhibits rail kinking and minimises the possibility of shorts across the rails - all important attributes.

MANUAL HANDLING
All edges lower than the actual running surface of track pieces should be radiused slightly rather than leaving the common sharp edges that are very hard on soft hands and can discourage people from assembling and disassembling track. However, the top surfaces should have clean cut edges to facilitate tight joints between sections, whether laterally or longitudinally.

CONNECTING
Physical connections should be modelled on something similar to Artin or possibly HO track, both types of which are MUCH easier to assemble and disassemble than any other 1/32-scale track currently available, due to their positive click tab connectors. Great attention needs to be paid to the design of electrical connections between sections - presently NO 1/32 track is as effective as several HO tracks in this respect. Physical and electrical connections are one of the prime targets for improvement over most existing 1/32-scale tracks.

I may add more later.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You would have expected some kind of market research wouldn`t you?

So Tropi you are the one to blame for that smooth Sport track
I was very impressed with the new SCX track connectors.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Some of those models look fantastic and i may be sending a chunk of money Auto Arts way but i have some questions. The miura, countache, 350Z, RX8 and callardo look fantastic and maybe 2 of each will find their way into my collection, but i have never ran a Auto Art car before nor has anyone i know
So please could someone tell me if the cars go anywhere near as well as they look?

for me if a car is sold RTR i should be able to get it out the box and thrap it around my track
Can i do this with Auto Art

Wayne

·
Registered
238 Posts
House For Sale.................due to ever increasing slot car "want" list!

All those cars look cracking, if they run ok then i'll have to have em all

....ah bugger, just realise that if I sell me house i'll have nowhere to plug my track in!

Guess i'm just gonna have to sell my organs to medical science

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sticking my`Gregory` out here Wayne but no way mate. They are hopeless out of the box and destined for the shelf. Only going on experience of the Subaru but six of the lads at club bought them with the same opinion as me.

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
Jonny, what would you say was the problem with them? I know they have a deslotting tendency but is there more than that? They are supposed to be fitting a deeper guide. I tried fitting an SCX one but it won't quite line up with the sprung chassis contacts and it will also spin round 360 degrees (J-turns anyone?). It's just that on the face of it they are nicely detailed models and I'm fairly sure they're one of the lowest price ranges available.

Are AutoArt a Japanese company? I remember Truescale saying he had been to Japan advising on slot car manufacture. Hope he made it clear that slot cars MUST have drivers.

They also , like Revell, seem keen to get into slot cars in a big way if what they had on show at Toyfair is anything to go by. Lots of new cars in 1/32 and some in 1/24 as well as R/C versions in both scales.

If manufacturing in general is anything to go by the Japanese will do it better and cheaper.

Mr.M

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We found the motor to be poor too. The guide ,as you point out, was the other main concern,but have to say that at our club we don`t go in for many mods so if a car doesn`t go pretty well straight out of the box then apart from the usual tuning that`s it. I think the issue here with Phoenix and perhaps SF slotties is that if there is a front runner then any new release has to compete with that particular model. The Ninco Scoobie seems to be the front runner on our Ninco club circuit. Note here I`m only concerned with the racing quality, the Autoart car is very nice to look at

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's noticeable that hardly anyone has responded to the AutoArt track possibilities.

I find myself agreeing with Tropi's comments, paricularly with regard to a 'foortprint' LARGER than Carrera's - that would be the guaranteed kiss of death! If AutoArt likes Carrera track, they could do a lot worse than copy it, with two improvements.
1. Devise a clip system that is an integral, attached part of each track section, this being the weakest link (!) in Carrera's system.
2. Devise a much improved barrier/fence mounting system.

Unless AutoArt can make at least one very obvious and marked improvement over existing track systems, I think they should abandon their plans to produce track altogether.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Swiss and myself have been in Nürnberg.
Here my impression about the Autoart Track:
more flexible than Carrera, less tendency to break. Better lockin system for the track pieces - colour of locking piece will probably be changed in production for better visibility. Slightly wider than Carrera, straight Carrera borders might fit! 3 curve radius planned, probably update of borders as they are to narrow - 5cm only! Absolute weak connection between power-rails! To weak track connection - getting sharp corners in raising and lowering track. At the moment no alternative for any existing track, needs urgently update of design criterias!
Gave advice how to change controllers - wiring and design - hope, that guy from mainland china got it all...
Controllers shown in Nürnberg are useless...
Cars 1/24 rtr - to small motor for that weight - weak braking capability in general! Plastic used for toy-fair prototypes has been to brittle - Swiss managed to crash into the Focus I've been driving as ha had no brakes - and the whole car splitted in 3 parts. They used lot's of super glue whilst the fair lasts...

Detailling of all cars is excellent - but we hardly recommended not to glue mirrors and spoilers and to make tehm separate removeable parts. Will add my input to the Autoart-report - have more pictures of the track - and comparison pictures to Carrera-track.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
For a solid, no flexing, plastic track system the old Airfix nylon clip pushed into the top of the track at the joint takes a lot of beating for ease of assembly.

To have to fiddle about with clips on the underside of plastic track track is a big downer unless it is for a permanent circuit that is not altered too frequently.

Moped

21 - 40 of 57 Posts