Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully a simple one this, bought an Autoart Evo VII for £9.99 on Modelzone but the performance is terrible (have read another thread). I think the tyres are slipping on the wheels, and possibly the gear/pinion is slipping. What do I need to do to swap the gear/pinion over (standard Scalextric?) and how shall I fix the tyres? The model looks great but it is basically unusable as is.

Sorry for the basic questions, haven't yet dabbled into tuning/modding my cars so thought this might be a good start for me.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
The very best of luck to you.

Sadly, it's been said many times before - AutoArt cars - look great - possibly the best in terms of detail/scale/etc - however they are awful runners.

I can't comment on the specific model you have because whilst i have several i don't run them.

What i can suggest is what i did with my Autoart Lamb - bought it cheap (like you) then called Pendle and asked them to provide everything to make it work. Basically all running gear was replaced! Wheels, Tyres, Axle, Pinion, Gear (sum total cost of parts = far more than the original car) however the end result is a great looking car that drives very well.

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
I also have one of these and actually wonder why '4WD' is fitted as the AutoArt 2WD cars seem to go just as well, or, just as badly, depending on your point of view. The tyres look remarkably like the Scaley ribbed (Lotus 7) ones, only a slightly different tread pattern, so I would bet that a replacement is available.

Regarding the pinion, perhaps a dab of Superglue? You might take a close look at the pinions, are either of them split? If so, this will eventually cause damage to the contrate (axle) gear, so pinion replacement is pretty essential. If you get a clicking sound when you turn the axle, this may be your problem. I suspect that the 10T scaley gears would do, I'll check.

Peter

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much, would like to sort it as it is begging to be thrashed

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
Not all AutoArt cars are bad.

I have some Shelby Cobra Concepts as does my racing buddy. They are amazingly fast straight out the box.

A little lubrication and they really fly (and it cuts down the noise a bit). I chipped one for SSD and it performs flawlessly - on a temporary layout with a straight lane changer immediately after a R1 hairpin quite a few cars were missing the sensor but the Cobra was hitting it every time even though it was FASTER than the cars missing the change AND the motor front design means I had to mount the LED about 30mm behind the guide!!!

I guess we got lucky with that model. It has nylon pinion and contrate but bronze axle bearings and bronze driveshaft bearing. The floating guide is also a bonus.

The cars are noisier than a standard Scalextric which is probably down to gears but they seem to mesh well, don't click when turning by hand and go marginally faster than a Scalextric Super Resistant F430 (which is a reasonably fast car) and heaps faster than an SCX NASCAR (now there's a BAD car).

I know this doesn't help your Evo issue directly but I guess I am trying to say it's worth persevering because it is potentially a very rapid car.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Before you waste money making this thing run well, please check this.

If it is a sidewinder arrangement then Autoart had a tendency to place the motor too far from the rear axle for standard Scalextric and many other gear systems to mesh. The only way you can sort things out is to cut out the motor pod and refit it closer to the rear axle. This is very fiddly and detailed work.

You could try NSR gears as they are the only folks who sell different diameter sidewinder gears.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
My AutoArt Peugeot 206 now boasts the following:

Slot.It yellow gears
Slot.It 9-tooth pinions
Slot.It 50mm axles
Scalextric 5-Star wheels

Haven't yet run it, as I need to locate the pinions properly. I'm optimistic that all the problems with the car - same as you found - are now fixed. And it's absolutely the best looking slot car I have.

That's why I've got a pair of £9.99 Xsaras awaiting similar treatment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Actually building a Pikes Peak 205 at the moment with a PCS chassis so if that goes well I may just rechassis the Evo if I like the performance of the PCS. Just think it might be quicker/easier than re-gearing the Evo etc.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Just SG the Crown to the axle, or fit Hornby, Slot as above. Fit PaulG or WASP tyres. Throw the Mag(s) away. You may find her just fine like that. But play with some weight. 40/60 (F/R) ish .
I have a few, and that's all I have done. They go well enough. and can compete with a Hornby, SCX. They just need to be sorted.
Good luck and stay with it.
I may even put one of mine back to her original form. get some figures and start to put her to where she is now. Just to show what can be done with a little care.

Tyres are the biggest problem with these cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts