SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this won't be too upsetting for some, as we get older we go through certain phases in our Slotcar life and there are so many different avenues for the Slotcar enthusiast to travel down. A few years ago now I decided to build a shed in my garden to indulge my then Slotcar aspirations, unfortunately I have changed and now that episode of my Slotcar history is over, it is time to dismantle Autodrome II.
The destruction of the track begins in earnest tomorrow.

But never fear this is not the end, merely a new beginning with my ever growing interest in club racing on wood, I need a track to practice on which has to be wood, testing on plastic really is that different, I simply can't get the tuning right with the magnetism of the motors effecting testing results. So what will evolve from this, I hope to build a routed wooden track in place of my current Scalex digital track. However I cannot forget my roots so there will also be a digital track within the routed track. I had contemplated a hybrid track but in my mind that would be a failure on both sides, so I'd like to keep the two separate.

I have a basic plan in mind but not to sure yet how it is going to go. One thing I have learnt is that rushing is not on the agenda this is going to be a slow build process I don't intend to pull it down again, so I would like to get it right this time.

I must apologise to Rob sorry mate more work "Autodrome III" - 2 lane Routed track and a 2 lane plastic digital track side by side.

So what's the plan of attack, firstly the existing track has to be completely removed back to a bare table which then needs to be changed to a single level.

Today I have had a delivery of lots of sheets of MDF plus some extra timbers to strengthen the existing table.

Also I have a complete DS timing system arrive, I haven't ordered the copper tape yet "note to self place order!"

This is basically how it is planned the wooden track will be more freehand than the one shown.

I am sure members of the G&L club will see it has the same "feel" as the club track.

Oh yes and I do plan to add scenery too.

·
David Collins
2,492 Posts
I'm thinking the same way - plastic just doesn't help set up a car for wood track racing. So my much more modest effort is probably going to go the same way.

I'd be interested to know why you think a hybrid would be a failure on both sides - some of the routed digital tracks look fascinating. You could use magnabraid.

I'm sure you've thought of this, but marshalling looks like the main issue with your design?

Good luck.

David

·
Registered
490 Posts
QUOTE (bleep @ 7 May 2009, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I hope this won't be too upsetting for some, as we get older we go through certain phases in our Slotcar life and there are so many different avenues for the Slotcar enthusiast to travel down. A few years ago now I decided to build a shed in my garden to indulge my then Slotcar aspirations, unfortunately I have changed and now that episode of my Slotcar history is over, it is time to dismantle Autodrome II.
The destruction of the track begins in earnest tomorrow.

So your birthday present is a load of MDF?!

A couple of months ago I would have said you were mad as your digital track was everything I wanted mine to be. Now I completely agree with you. I have 2 hobbies - club and home. The 2 have nothing in common. I have club cars and home cars. My favourite cars for home are useless at club.
I find that I am spending more time looking at cars for club rather than cars for home. If my shed was bigger I would definately be building a wooden track.
I think having both types of track is a great idea. I am sure you'll use the wooden track more than the digital, but you'll also be able to scratch that 'digital itch' whenever you want.

I will enjoy watching your progress with this. If you want a hand from someone useless, but willing just give me a shout - and I'll send Joe!

Just make sure you don't go too far down the non-digital route as you might end up with a model railway! Surely your not old enough for that yet!

·
Tel
4,125 Posts
Its gonna be one hell of a project, that will keep you going for some time !
But I guess you are lucky to have the club to keep your racing finger on the pace while this progresses, good luck and I look forward to watching it grow as I did ADII

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great concept Bleep! It's always a tug in this hobby - digital, plastic, wood, etc, etc. I'm looking forward to see how it pans out.
Ron

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Hi Ian, I hope alls well.

I knew you've been thinking about this for sometime, well done for doing it. Its not easy breaking up a fantastic looking track that you spent so much time and effort on.

I personaly would loose the digi stuff and have more room for the wood track. Thats easy for me to say though as I've got Tels digi track to scratch my digi itch on!

You could make it a 3 laner (I really like the look of 3 lane routed tracks!) and not effect any visual issues you may encounter with too much track and crossovers. You could still rug race the digi gear if need be. I like the flow of the wooded track but feel theres just to much going on with the digi there too.
You need another shed BLeep!!!

Just my suggestion mate, as I said its easier for me as I got Tels track to race on giving me best of both worlds.

Are you going for a Race circuit type scenery?

Anyhow, I wil enjoy wathching your progress

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
Pretty much same reasoning I used Bleep. The local track I race on is MDF with flat latex and copper tape so I went the same way even as to same brand of paint. Now the local is 125 feet with a long straight and we race Slot.its. My track is only 44' so I find the Slot.its are not quite as happy. Lower powered cars seem to work better but in spite of that I think driving on same surface has helped me at local track. We race on S2s where as my track likes Ortmans better. Once my track gets rubbered in I suspect the S2s will be better.

Have fun.

bill

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Riko = it may be simplified as the build progresses my last routed one did..

Dave = it's a case of having too or so I tell my wife&#8230; As for the hybrid it's probably above my capability level. And we are dead set that Digital uses magnets the analogue does not there is no halfway.

Anthony = your birthday present is a load of MDF =I know, some people just wouldn't understand&#8230;. NB you missed out on the cake last night..

Tel = This time you'll be finished before me

Zagato = Sure I could

Col = your on it mate

350Z = even once complete I'm sure I'll wish I could have done it slightly differently that's life.

Stuart = I had thought of a three lane track, but to be honest there are only two users and if it did come to more then we can switch to the digital track, I do intend to make the lane width wider than Scalex I have already bought the timing to fit Carrera track. The wooden track is the primary track I will build it first once in place then I will look at fitting the SSD. As for ditching the SSD it has really crossed my mind, but a bit like a spoilt child I want everything. Yes another shed would be a nice idea unfortunately BOGOF was the reply from the "boss" and not the offer from the retailer.

Bill = I have to drive quite a distance to get to my local track and we only meet weekly any modifications can take weeks to get right hopefully this will give me a slight advantage, believe me I need lots of "slight advantages"

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Interesting project Ian / Bleep .. and I'll also toss in an idea here.

Since this is gonna incorporate both analog & digital but you won't run them at the same time, correct?

You could make them intertwined for some streches. By that I mean you'd rout the a-lane with say a spacing of 4" but the digi-lane would run parallell with both of those for some streches. With only some 3/4" separation. You'd get 4 lanes, both systems but only need about a 2-lane wide track. Like this, slots in bold --

........../----total track width 7" -8"-----/.........

..........II........I..I.................I..I...........II.........
border........a / digi............a / digi........border

Run for example from the S/F, the digi track could follow the a-track on *the inside* all the way through the broad loop at top right, under bridge to the bottom edge. So the now inner a-track would run on the outer perimeter. And wouldn't need a the bridge at top left corner.

You would also be able to make a pitlane for analog track. That would need some more cross-overs, all lanes isolated from each other .. could be too complicated though?

-- ron --

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Ian,

Good luck on your project. It is a difficult project to do to great tracks intertwined with each other. Will the tracks be mounted on a square table like the one you have there? It seems to have spots not easily reachable.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right you 'orrible lot that's it
.... the project is on hold for a while, having seen the suggestions above it really has got me thinking, one or two aspects need real consideration, I use that size table at the moment and though reach isn't a major problem it certainly is a consideration that I should look into more. Perhaps a totally new table would improve the whole area and make it more workable... I'll post more once I have emptied the the existing scenery and track from the shed so I can see exactly what I have to work with.

Jeez Thanks

·
Ian
99 Posts
Graham I bet they call you lots of other things too
Only kidding

Well I'm not getting to far with the destruction, (I've been too busy on other slotcar projects) So I thought I would review what "has" to be in there, back to basics, this is the perfect wooden track for the space available in my mind. Accessibility is no longer a problem at this stage and it is almost a copy of the club track

Now I have to look at how on earth I can integrate the SSD track

Ideas gratefully accepted

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't suppose integrating the LC components, etc from SSD and running PBpro would be in your plans? That way you could make the LC's nice and long where needed... use the components from your digi track... maintain a wooden track... and run the PBPro in analogue mode for testing. One track, two uses, best of both worlds?

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
QUOTE (bleep @ 11 May 2009, 13:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now I have to look at how on earth I can integrate the SSD track
Why not just do a two lane routed MDF track using the Powerbase Pro 1.8f s-h. That way, you could run it in analog mode for two, or digital for more people--gives you the best of both worlds. Personally, I don't like the way four lane tracks look from a scenic perspective--just my preference though.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill & FD,
Thanks for the input, however it is out of the question, Analogue for us is a totally different ball game for which we have analogue controllers the whole reason for this change is so that we can practice and setup our race cars, this has to be the harmonisation of a non-mag car, on a wooden track with our race controllers. We use this to some degree almost every night.

But I have to have a digital track too, because that has so many other features we enjoy and it is great if there are more than just my son and I racing. On Digital we use totally different cars with magnets. We use this weekly.

I hope you can see where I am coming from and why I need both.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.