SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have pictures of the original chassis and if possible - what was included in the original kit?

Appreciate the help....

·
Registered
699 Posts
I know no original version of the complete kit other than the one shown by Phil above. Autohobbies also sold bodies in small cardboad boxes. In the nineties a British dealer (Carkits) sold a number of original bodies with repro white metal exhausts, wheel inserts and rear mounting bar, in repro body boxes. As said, some fiteen years ago, EJ'S in USA sold kits with still original bodies, their own Monogram type chassis and newly injected chrome plated small parts.

Eduardo

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
fortunately AH also marketed the components separately, and it's possible (though not easy) to piece together these to have an original car. That's what I did with the EJ's release many years ago: bagged all his mechanicals for other projects, and found the original parts. Here are some p/no's I know off the top of my head:

#610 is the brass chassis.

#315 N-5 front alu. wheels

#315 W-5 rear alu. wheels

#201 guide

I don't believe they marketed a 16d separately, only a 13d. For the kits I believe they sourced Russkit's 22 (see the gold can above)

AH had an interesting and very precise part numbering system: the first digit was the "scale" (3, or 4 for 1/32 and 1/24), in the second 2 digits,at least with wheels and tires, the full size wheel was spec'd (15 inches in the above parts), the letter indicated narrow, medium or wide width, and the digit indicated the attachment method (in this case "5" for 5-40 threaded).

Somewhere on this vintage forum, at one time someone put up pics of their parts catalog; a very rare but desireable item!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I was mistaken about the location of the catalog; it is here:

slotblog.net/vintage slot cars/slot car history/daily slot car history

then scroll down to "1966 Auto Hobbies catalog".

Also had forgotten, or maybe just learned now, that the coding of part numbers I mentioned above only applied to later releases. The early production wheels follow a more "normal" approach, ie , #301, 302, etc.

And apparently tires were all "4" series. I'll have to go back and see the pkgs. I used on my Cobra.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
A bit more help with an assembled car by Russell Sheldon:

ah101_3.jpg

And the well-known (and fortunately not so rare) kit:

ah101_1.jpg

And the superb Gene Wallingford version of it (do not try this at home!
smile.png
):

2390-cat.jpg

Attachments

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Phillippe - Both are great - but Wallingford's is outstanding!!!

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Yes, Gene's car is truly a fantastic model...
Here are two more cars with Auto Hobbies different chassis, of fiberglass Dino and Ferrari TR. The Dino has a plated steel chassis, one quite rare today, while the TR has a more common brass job:

40042.jpg

40042_1.jpg

40043.jpg

40043_1.jpg

These two cars were assembled by Auto Hobbies' owner and hobby pioneer, Bill Sippel.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts