SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry . A program that sends a signal to safety car when a red flag or something is hit. Car comes out of the pits and goes around the track at a set speed then re-enters the pits and resets itself.

·
Greg Gaub
14,955 Posts
Not that I've seen yet. Lots of people have suggested it and wanted one, but I believe such a thing will have to wait for a technological development. As far as I know, only Carrera has a safety car like that, and it's triggered by a button on the base, and will enter the first pit lane it gets to, so it's necessary to design tracks specifically to accommodate the way it works.

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
I was thinking of doing something along the line of a mag-racing (sorry on phone so no link) safety car that could be activated with a button or better the pc. Could be possible with a routed track like mine will be. Planting the steel line will be simple enough. My problem begins with writing the needed code.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I know Andy Wallace (SSDC) was looking at this but I don't think that anything has happened yet. If this is something you want you could add your votes to that suggestion on his website.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
I like this idea, but wouldn't the red flag be caused by a track blockage, which could mean the automated safety car whizzes around the track into the crashed car? So maybe some sort of override would be good.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I would just like the option of deploying the safety car during a race. I have this idea of stationing the car in a special area at the end of my pit lane (almost a pit lane from the pitlane) with an entry flipper that only the safety car id will trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi all
I too have a track with a separate pit lane for safey car so would be good if could be done .
But do understand that there mite be cars crash on treack so needs to be controlled.
ade

·
Greg Gaub
14,955 Posts
One of the carrera guys modded his safety car and safty pit so that the LED was on the wrong side, and the sensor in the pit entry was the same. Thus, all racing cars cannot change into that pit, only the safety car can. Also, the safety car will not accidentally enter the normal pits, or even change lanes. It just exits to the inside lane, makes a lap or two, then enters its own pit. You could easily do this for SSD as well, especially on a routed track where you're already doing the work of installing flippers and locating sensors. Just put that pit sensor off to the side rather than in the slot, and the LED in the safety car off to the side rather than in the center.
You'll still need SSDC or something to trigger the car to exit and stop when it enters it's pit. You could probably rig up an extra pit-pro sensor just for that pit, and SSDC could just stop that particular car ID when it senses that it's in the pit.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
QUOTE how do you get the car to start in the first place?
well ........ one way is to use the output from a parallel port or a Velleman board so that the track call triggers a latching relay that completes a circuit with the appropriate amount of resistance to start the car off at a pre-determined speed. To stop it, you could use a magnetic reed switch so that the car's magnet cancels the latching relay. You could also use the cancellation of the pit call to activate a solenoid to open the SC's pit lane.

So what are the drawbacks??? 1 - you will use up one of your IDs, 2 - crash avoidance, 3 - keeping racing cars out of the SC pit.

You can live with 1, 2 can be fixed with a manual cutout switch but 3 is the pain and is as far as I have got with this scheme.

Here is my black box:
View attachment 9165

and the thread is here.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Re 3 if sc pit lane is only for sc then offset sensor and move the sensor the sensor in the track
that way no other cars will operate it and get it to reset with a small mag as with the holding flippers in place for anolouge running

Michael

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have planned to solve safety car problems this way:

Triggering SC from pit:
I have a separated extra power base to accelerate SC from its own pit to the track with a modified controller. (ie. foot pedal operated)
Then SSDC drives it in speed needed. (Or rubber band
;) in hand controller, if you don't have ssdc)

Back to pit:
When BACK TO PIT- button is pushed (LC button in extra PB controller) SC begins to send lane change signal.
MRFlippant told how to move LED's to have SC to right pit entry.
(Pushing start button next time releases LC button)

Pit entry flipper back into "shut"- position:
I have built modified mechanical flippers for pitlane use. It simply returns itself back mechanically when SC is passing it. You can add a magnet to keep it in position if it tends to open.
There is a video. (In this case the same mechanism is used in different purpose)
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...mp;#entry606628

Finally SC stops on extra PB with no power on.

What do you think?

(Did you understand my english?)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Looks good ! Starts me thinking anyway. First thing that comes to mind is that the PB to start the sc can be analogue. Or just a contact switch between isolated track piece and the rest of the track. Wait, you don't want the safety car to enter the sc pit bay every lap, that's why you choose the PB option of course. I gues than all you need is an mechanical pit lane entry for the sc. (and no need for modified led/sensor).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, that's good new life for my old analoque PB...
And the free analoque line will be used for (adjustable) pit lightning or cruising in pit parking lot

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
This is what I would like to do but I would need help with the mechanics/electronics

Cars exiting the pit lane would go left but the safety car would enter the pit lane and go straight through into it's own "zone"

·
Registered
24 Posts
You'll need to add two extra sensors for SC. First into pit entry and then into pit in- piece before SC area.
Then we want racin cars to steer left before SC pit. I don't know if it is so easy, but I would change LC solenoid places with each other. (or wires)
Finally separate SC track piece from other track and have some mechanism to launch it. (Some braking mechanism might be neccessary to stop SC on 1/2 straight piece.)

I found some interesting tips for manipulation and extra sensors: http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...=20507&st=0

·
Registered
331 Posts
ss67:I would give the pace car it's own pit entry and exit in another place on the track, your way makes it easy for a racer in the heat of battle to forget to lane change on pit exit and rear end the pace car

1 - 20 of 122 Posts