SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm shortly going to start my permanent Ho layout and I've decided to go with an Autumn/Fall colour scheme the stupid thing is the more pictures I look at the more confused I am on what colours to use.

I'm going to be making my own trees,ground cover etc so was hoping you lot might have some ideas.

Thanks Wayne.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Wayne, have a look at Noch 'leaves' and Heiki flor. The Noch product is my favourite because the texture is like fine confetti, not just crumbed foam.

As far as colours... In Autumn just about anything goes. While you palette will be mostly warm colours - various yellows, reds, oranges and ochres - it should still contain some dark summer greens.

Most of the scenery companies offer things in Autumnal colours. But they can look overly intense and fake in the packet. Just be prepared to blend and experiment. Experimenting is the best thing you can do. You'll learn things that others might not think to write up in 'how to' guides.

Hopefully it's a little helpful.

Embs

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always your advice is very welcome.

I'm being tight and trying to make everything myself to save money but I'll certainly take a look at the products you mention.

Cheers Wayne

·
6,455 Posts
Paint colours to play with for tinting crumbed foam or sawdust or whatever:-

Gold oxide
Yellow ochre
Raw & Burnt sienna
Cadmium yellow (use sparingly this one is super intense)
Red oxide
Crimson
Cadmium red (again it's intense)
Burnt & Raw umber (for blending)

How's that to start you off?

Embs

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn your good and quick lol I'm assuming were talking artists acrylics or will any paint do in those colours.

Cheers Wayne.

·
6,455 Posts
Most paints will do those colours, but I'd go for at least a 'student grade' Artists Acrylic. If you go for the really cheap ones you'll find that they get soapy when you mix them with water. The better the grade of paint the stronger the pigments so the less you need to use.

Embs

·
Registered
851 Posts
Embs, do you recommend the tube or fluid acrylics? I find the fluid paints easier to work with, ho 'bout you?

·
6,455 Posts
I'd always rather tubes. That way you can mix them to whatever consistency you desire. Whether you use water to create a light soaking wash or a clear glaze medium (matt or gloss depending on desired finish). You can use them thick straight from the tube for super intense colour. Or mix them with a modelling medium if you want thick and goopy and textured.

If you're using an airbrush rather than a hairbrush though the fluid colours are probably better. Although you can purchase a 'flow medium' to mix with the tube colours that can bring them down almost to the consistency of indian ink without losing too much in the way of colour integrity.

Embs

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
In the UK you can buy two types of Acrylic paint in tubes, ordinary, which is quite thick and dries quickly, or "flow" which is thinner and takes longer to dry - you can buy the "flow" stuff in tubes to thin acrylic paints as well, or you can mix them with water.

Wayne, where abouts is your Autumn track going to be based, because the autumn colours in New England are very different to those in the UK for example.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess the fact that I've got buildings coming that were build in the usa means I should go for that side of the pond as a base for the track.

Cheers Wayne.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts