What to race for Autumn serries

• Scalextric super resiliant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please list in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems odd to even consider this before we get the Summer series off to a start, but couple of good reasons;

1. Gaydon Slot festival will be soon, and some will we saving thier pocket money for this one, bargains galore.
2. If we leave the decision until end of August we could all be out bidding each other on Fleabay for same few cars driving up the price. (Starting to sound like a bit of a tightarse?).

So assuming we haven't all fallen out by then,
We need two more classes,What does everyone have in the collection already? My thoughts are.....
Any two from,

Open GT (NSR Mosler, Slot It Lola Scaleauto Radical/Toyota GT1 etc)
Fly Classics (with Scalextric sidewinder 330 P4, GT40?)
Sideways Group 5
Scalextric BTCC
Scalextric super resiliant

To make it worth while investing, would have to see us through to the end of the year, with a guarantee classes will be repeated in 2023. Idealy it would also be a class I can provide some loan cars for.

We can discuss tonight, and on 24th, but couple of key players can't make tonight.
Simon has cold symptoms and will generously stay away to avoid passing anything on, and Alan has WI meeting ( or some other poor excuse 馃), so hence raising it here.

Over to you.......

Steve

Registered
Seems odd to even consider this before we get the Summer series off to a start, but couple of good reasons;

1. Gaydon Slot festival will be soon, and some will we saving thier pocket money for this one, bargains galore.
2. If we leave the decision until end of August we could all be out bidding each other on Fleabay for same few cars driving up the price. (Starting to sound like a bit of a tightarse?).

So assuming we haven't all fallen out by then,
We need two more classes,What does everyone have in the collection already? My thoughts are.....
Any two from,

Open GT (NSR Mosler, Slot It Lola Scaleauto Radical/Toyota GT1 etc)
Fly Classics (with Scalextric sidewinder 330 P4, GT40?)
Sideways Group 5
Scalextric BTCC
Scalextric super resiliant

To make it worth while investing, would have to see us through to the end of the year, with a guarantee classes will be repeated in 2023. Idealy it would also be a class I can provide some loan cars for.

We can discuss tonight, and on 24th, but couple of key players can't make tonight.
Simon has cold symptoms and will generously stay away to avoid passing anything on, and Alan has WI meeting ( or some other poor excuse 馃), so hence raising it here.

Over to you.......

Steve
Less of the "WI meeting" Steve.馃槻 I'll have you know I was attending a very very good rock concert (Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets if anyone is interested.) 馃. In my defence, it was booked almost two years ago 馃

Registered
I've just cast my vote. I really wanted to tick three so if there is a "best of the rest", I'll add Scaley BTCC - or am I just being greedy 馃槄

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, i'm in.
After much deliberation ,I voted for Open GT and Fly classics.
Last night showed that having contrast between main and support race was a good thing, ie a fast class followed by a slower one, keeps it interesting.
I think the Sideways Group 5 cars are great, super models and perform really well with the slot it components when set up right. But they do need lot of effort to set up right, and are more difficult to source. Maybe for when, everyone is more familliar with the track?
So how about,

Autumn series
Main class - Open GT
Support Class - Sidewinder Classic GT (Fly/Scalextric)

This would open the way for
Sideways Group 5/Scalextric BTCC, to follow after Christmas.

We would then be able to revisit Slot It Group C/DTM again. To get use out of cars already purchased.

This would seem to be in line with most of the feedback from last night and on this thread.

Registered
Three votes in the poll for Group 5 and yet it loses out to Fly Classics with a measley one 馃槻. Seriously though, I am fine with that. When you have a moment Steve, could you please provide a definitive list of eligible cars for both classes 馃馃弫

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alan, hope the concert was good last night,

"Three votes in the poll for Group 5 and yet it loses out to Fly Classics with a measley one 馃槻."

Nothing fixed as yet, just my vote. Like Russia and China, still trying to create the impression that the elections are open and fair. But my logic is that two quick classes isn't ideal, better to mix things up a bit to have some variety. So how about,

Main race
Either Sideways Group 5 OR Open GT

Support Race
Fly Classics OR Scalextric BTCC

Most people currently have something they can run in "Open GT", hence my inclination to run that sooner, Group 5 will definitely have to happen, just bought another one, (the 935 K2). But not yet convinced that I want to put my Sideways cars out as loan cars for those that need them.

As for Support class, lets see where the ballot takes us, but would be good to have an answer before Gaydon.

Steve

Registered
Your logic is faultless. I'm more than happy in trying to prevent any little projectile from falling off of your excellent track馃. I would steer clear of comparisons with Russia though. The guy in charge there doesn't get a lot of good press at the moment...馃檪

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Eligible cars

OPEN GT
To include but not limited to;
NSR Mosler, R18 and the GT3 cars
SLOT IT Lola B12/80 (all variants), Porsche GT1-98, Audi R8 and R18, McLaren F1, Nissan 390, Ferrari F40. Nissan GTR GT3 and Maserati GT3
SCALEAUTO Radical and Toyota GT1
SLOTER Zytec
Ninco Audi R18, Mosler, Ascari, 911 GT etc including lightweight varients
Fly Racing Porsche 911 GT1-98, Ferrari F40 and Audi R8

Sure I have missed some, but basically up to 25,000 rpm motors, alloy wheels and upgraded gear train. Car should retain interior/cockpit as supplied.

RACER SIDEWAYS GROUP 5
PORSCHE 935/78 Moby Dick
PORSCHE 935 K2 and 935/77
LANCIA Beta Montecarlo Gr5 and Stratos Turbo Gr5
FERRARI 512BB/LM
FORD Zakspeed Capri Gr5
BMW 320 and Gr5 M1
TOYOTA Celica Gr5
MUSTANG Turbo Gr5
NISSAN Skyline Gr5
To run as suppied, no magnet, rear tyres changed

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fly classics
PORSCHE 908 variants
Ferrari 512 all variants
PORSCHE 917 all variants
Lola T70
CHEVRON B21
FORD GT40

And Scalextric GT40 Ferrari 330 p3/4

But to specifically exclude, any Slot it/NSR/Sloter models

SCALEXTRIC BTCC
BMW 1 Series and 330M
Honda Civic
MG6
VW Passat
Rear tyres only modification permitted ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With Gaydon Slot Festival this forthcoming weekend it was time to make a call on race classes for the Autumn series so that purchases can be planned.
The due democratic process was conducted at coffee time and I'm pleased to report that everyone voted for the correct outcome announce we will race Open GT Class as Main race, and Fly Classics as Support Race.
Open GT evisaged to include the likes of NSR Mosler, Slot it Lola and Scaleauto Radical/Toyota GT1.
No Magnet. 25k motors, alloy wheels upgaded gear train all permitted.
Nothing to stop anyone putting a flat 6 motor in anglewinder configuration in thier Group C car.

Fly Classics, bit of an unknown as to which are the best, Porsche 908/917, Ferrari 512, Ford GT40, Chevron B21, Lola T70.......
Also permitted will be Scalextric GT40, 330 P3/4, Chaperal......
Please let me know if I have missed any.
Fly cars have independent front wheels, proposal is to allow solid front axle to be fitted, keeping std wheels. Will conduct trials on best tyres to ensure consistency.
Specifically excludes :- NSR 917/908, Slot It 312, Alfa 33, 512 etc Thunderslot and anything by Sloter.
Steve

Registered
As yer know, I am orf to Gaydon this week Steve... (pauses for effect, yes.. faintly... I think, I could hear muffled swearing coming over a vast distance...) and have taken the bleedin liberty of contacting RS Slot Racing about acquiring some Ortmann tyres... Any views on using these on your track Steve?

Looking to pick up tyres for Fly classics and for the Scaley GT40.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ortmans are, I think, somekind of Silicon/urethane so dont require any witchcraft. They should be OK with silicons, just requiring a nice clean surface. So yes.
Could you add 2 pairs (fly classics) to your order for me please?
Can transfer cash or pay next meeting. (NB Tuesday 14th, NOT the 7th June)
Er ..... enjoy Gaydon Slot Festival
Steve

Registered
As yer know, I am orf to Gaydon this week Steve... (pauses for effect, yes.. faintly... I think, I could hear muffled swearing coming over a vast distance...) and have taken the bleedin liberty of contacting RS Slot Racing about acquiring some Ortmann tyres... Any views on using these on your track Steve?

Looking to pick up tyres for Fly classics and for the Scaley GT40.
Phil, I am also off to Gaydon and am also interested in the tyres - even though I haven't bought a car to put them on yet... :D Would it be best to ask you very politely if you could get me a set too or should I just go and search out RS Slot Racing myself and hope that they are bringing several examples of this tyre along to Gaydon?

Registered
Morning Alan, I am not 100 percent certain what I am looking for myself to be honest. I am sure RSS will be helpful in that respect. When I dropped them an email asking if they would be at Gaydon, I got a very prompt reply in the affirmative. I will drop them another email now requesting that they specifically bring tyres for the aforementioned cars. Do you have a hunch what car you might want to drive in the Classics series? I think that the Fly / GB Track cars from that era will all take the same tyre. The Scaley GT40 and P330 will have different tyres again I guess...

I am happy to get a set or two for you but have a look here... RSSLOTRACING.com to see what they get up to...

Thanks

Registered
Morning Alan, I am not 100 percent certain what I am looking for myself to be honest. I am sure RSS will be helpful in that respect. When I dropped them an email asking if they would be at Gaydon, I got a very prompt reply in the affirmative. I will drop them another email now requesting that they specifically bring tyres for the aforementioned cars. Do you have a hunch what car you might want to drive in the Classics series? I think that the Fly / GB Track cars from that era will all take the same tyre. The Scaley GT40 and P330 will have different tyres again I guess...

I am happy to get a set or two for you but have a look here... RSSLOTRACING.com to see what they get up to...

Thanks
Thanks for that Phil. No, I don't know what I will get yet. It depends what I see 馃. Perhaps it's best to leave me to my own devices. If they are bringing the right sort of tyres, I'll buy my own and save you the hastle. Probably see you there馃

1 - 20 of 37 Posts