Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please list in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looking really good, are the front wheels stub axles? Thinking about putting a std axle in the 512.
Be good to see how they run. My Porsche 908 is the only one currently running half decent.
Steve

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ve still got so much to learn about these Fly thingies. Here was me thinking that they all had four point body mountings…

I picked up a nice yellow Porsche 917 Spyder at Gaydon for only £20. It was unboxed but when I enquired about its’ provenance, the seller assured me that the box had been “contaminated with a small amount oil from the tyres due to their age, but that the car had never run” :) Convinced that I had a bargain, I excitedly removed the body shell when I got home, only to find that most of the rear of the chassis was covered in a most strange slimy clear stuff. o_O Then, when I attempted to remove the tyres, I quickly discovered that their composition was quite close to that of mahogany. I literally had to (very carefully) take a saw to these super-hard, rather oval black objects to remove them. :mad: I can only conclude that my “new” purchase has been around long enough for the tyres to morph into their component elements. All four have now been replaced with Slot.it products and much time has been spent cleaning and degreasing my new toy.

Next Tuesday could be interesting…:unsure:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve still got so much to learn about these Fly thingies. Here was me thinking that they all had four point body mountings…

I picked up a nice yellow Porsche 917 Spyder at Gaydon for only £20. It was unboxed but when I enquired about its’ provenance, the seller assured me that the box had been “contaminated with a small amount oil from the tyres due to their age, but that the car had never run” :) Convinced that I had a bargain, I excitedly removed the body shell when I got home, only to find that most of the rear of the chassis was covered in a most strange slimy clear stuff. o_O Then, when I attempted to remove the tyres, I quickly discovered that their composition was quite close to that of mahogany. I literally had to (very carefully) take a saw to these super-hard, rather oval black objects to remove them. :mad: I can only conclude that my “new” purchase has been around long enough for the tyres to morph into their component elements. All four have now been replaced with Slot.it products and much time has been spent cleaning and degreasing my new toy.

Next Tuesday could be interesting…:unsure:
Morning Alan, the Fly slime effect is, apart from being a great name for your next rock band exploit, a fairly common feature of these beasts and you have done correctly to replace aforementioned items. Did you consider using the RS tyres or did you not get any in the end?

Incidentally one of my Gaydon Fly car acquisitions had another common fault, where the wheel hub splits at the axle point... grrr. Also, that rather interesting Sloter Zytek Gulf I showed you at Gaydon had, upon opening the box properly, absolutely no motor or gears... double grrr.

Meanwhile... I am still wrestling with do I go with a Scaley GT40, a GB Track Chevron or a Fly 917... I suppose any of them, just as long as they are red... I am claiming red as my team colour...!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Morning Alan, the Fly slime effect is, apart from being a great name for your next rock band exploit, a fairly common feature of these beasts and you have done correctly to replace aforementioned items. Did you consider using the RS tyres or did you not get any in the end?

Incidentally one of my Gaydon Fly car acquisitions had another common fault, where the wheel hub splits at the axle point... grrr. Also, that rather interesting Sloter Zytek Gulf I showed you at Gaydon had, upon opening the box properly, absolutely no motor or gears... double grrr.

Meanwhile... I am still wrestling with do I go with a Scaley GT40, a GB Track Chevron or a Fly 917... I suppose any of them, just as long as they are red... I am claiming red as my team colour...!
Yes I did get some RS tyres. I found them to be a little wider than the wheels which doesn't help the well known wheelarch fouling problem...

As for your lack of motor and gears, that's taking the lightness approach just a little too far. ;)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts