SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these any good? Specifically the LMPs (the Audi R10 and the Pescarolo, I've already got an SCX Peugeot 908)?

I'm looking to build my collection of LMPs and, on the face of it, these seem an ideal way to do it. The Pescarolo is my collection's sticking point, I've only found Avant Slot Pescarolos for sale on the 'net - do any other 1/32 manufacturers make one?

....... Or would my money be better spent sticking to Scalextric/SCX for an Audi and forgetting the Pescarolo??

TIA
Stuart.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've found that my Avant Slot Pescarolo and Porsche LMP2 are excellent on a wood track (once I put urethane tyres on them), but on classic scalextric track the Pescarolo was hopeless (mainly due to a weak traction magnet). I prefer magless racing but the group I race with use them on the one plastic track we currently use, so I prefer a Scalextric LMP car for plastic track and the Avant Slots for wood tracks.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
avant slot are built for non mag racing, but generally the build quality is brilliant, the detailing is as good as anyones and the chassis design is much better than scx or scalextric. As far as rally cars go they make some of the best, LMP cars are still good, i wouldnt discount adding one to your collection. I remember a thread a few months back where a guy did time trials on all his LMP cars, finding that should be insightful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Stu

I have an Avantslot Porsche Spyder test car and the performance non-mag is excellent

When raced against scalextric mag cars on scalextric sport track it is way slower, but when I race it non-mag on the routed club track then it is excellent, often beating NSR Mosler's, Porsche' 997's and all slot-it offerings.

regards
Lee

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm torn now! They'd only ever be used on my Scalextric classic/Sport track so would fitting mags to these cars (is it even possible?) be considered sacrilegious?

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 2 Jul 2011, 12:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm torn now! They'd only ever be used on my Scalextric classic/Sport track so would fitting mags to these cars (is it even possible?) be considered sacrilegious?

They come with magnets in them as standard but they are not as strong as the scalextric magnets, i would think if you put a scaley magnet in it it would be on par with a scaley lmp though

Lee

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the Reviews section here at SotForum you will find a couple of reviews on Avant cars.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...e=avantslot-908

My own opinion is that they a very nice cars, easily raced right out of the box. I have two Pescarolos and three Audis and they compare quite well to the Audi R10 and Peugeot 908 from SCX when it comes to racing. I think they are more detailed though and better looking overall.

Keld

·
Registered
329 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 2 Jul 2011, 13:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the comments so far.

Whatever gives you some fun. They are only toy cars after all. Avants are a performance or enthusiasts manufacturer wheras Scaley and Scx are more involved in the sets and toy market. One isn't more important than another. The Avants will generally have a better chassis design and more adjustability along with a more poweerful motor. Scaleys tend to have a strong bar magnet to keep the car planted to the track.

I race all manner of cars in all manner of classes can't say one is more fun than another. Run what you identify with and you will enjoy yourself.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Not sure of the price of these cars but wow it look awesome. I wonder did or as anyone tried these cars with different tyres on the back and or a scaly mag fitted?

Athrlyth

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (athrlyth @ 2 Jul 2011, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder did or as anyone tried these cars with different tyres on the back and or a scaly mag fitted?

QUOTE (Ronan @ 1 Jul 2011, 23:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've found that my Avant Slot Pescarolo and Porsche LMP2 are excellent on a wood track (once I put urethane tyres on them), but on classic scalextric track the Pescarolo was hopeless (mainly due to a weak traction magnet).

I'm still tempted to got one and find some way to fit a mag.

BTW, thanks Keld for that link. I'll have to start looking through the reviews on a regular basis.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own several Avant Slot LMP cars. The stock magnets on these cars are weak and relatively high above the track. I am sure you could find a way to add a more powerful magnet to the chassis. You will probably want to replace the stock plastic wheels with set screw aluminum wheels. The stock wheels are very round, but the don't stay on the smooth axle very well. The axles on current releases are very soft, so you may want to replace these as well. These cars are great no mag with Slot It p6 tires. New models (those with tire logos on the sidewall) have a different compound tire that works as well as or better than the P6.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that ^^^

My Pescarolo has arrived today, so I'll be having a good look at it later this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right. I've made a start.

First, I gave it a run straight out of the box and as predicted it handled more like a rally car than an LMP. So I had a look around the underside for suitable mag locations for the mags I have in stock. The only place I could find was between the rear diffusers. It's actually ideal, in terms of size. I did have to cut out one small section of diffuser in the centre. This is what I ended-up with.....

And here it is with the mag fitted.....

That was the easy bit. I now need to add some ballast to the front of the car because the mag's pulling the rear of the car so hard that sometimes the front will lift and the car will de-slot. It's a pity it's not a sidewinder, so that the mag could be nearer the axle-line.

When I get the ballast issue sorted, I'll post again.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 5 Jul 2011, 20:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When I get the ballast issue sorted, I'll post again.

I don't know what the weight of the Pescarolo was before I started, but it's now 97g. I also weighed the Peugeot and that's 83g. Quite a difference. Having said that, I've had 2 races with the 2 cars and they seem fairly well matched. The motor in the Pescarolo seems quite capable of pulling the extra weight.

As for the tyres, now that the standard ones are getting scrubbed, they don't seem so bad.

Having said all that, I'm glad I didn't buy the Avant Slot set of Le Mans winners that I was tempted with. I don't think I'll bother with any more Avant Slot cars - I need magnets in my race cars! When I get 'round to getting an Audi, I'll get SCX or Scalextric.

·
Lee Green
1,995 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 5 Jul 2011, 20:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know what the weight of the Pescarolo was before I started, but it's now 97g. I also weighed the Peugeot and that's 83g. Quite a difference. Having said that, I've had 2 races with the 2 cars and they seem fairly well matched. The motor in the Pescarolo seems quite capable of pulling the extra weight.

As for the tyres, now that the standard ones are getting scrubbed, they don't seem so bad.

97g is loads!!! , a slot it car with a long can boxer in is about 75 with all the right bits on

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
After a couple of days experimentation with the Pescarolo, I've come to the conclusion that the only way for me to be able to fit my chosen magnet will be a change of chassis.

With the benefit of hindsight, I should have left the car for the magless crowd.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I've finally sorted the Pescarolo to my satisfaction.

I bought a PCS32 chassis, but that wasn't the answer. Try as I might, I couldn't work out how to fit it without ruining the shell.
So, after a few days thinking about it, I finally came-up with a solution to the problem of the bagnet on the back of the shell causing the car to de-slot. Sorry the pic isn't the best quality, but I hope you get the idea.

A second magnet in the chassis between the front axle and the motor to keep the guide in the slot. I just cut the front-rear stiffening web enough for the magnet to fit snugly.

I know some will think me mad for doing this, but it does what I wanted it to. The car drives just as well as my SCX Peugeot. I haven't weighed the car again, without my improvised ballast, but it's definitely still heavier than the Peugeot.

Question..... do the wheels on this model seem too small?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts