SlotForum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
It's good to see another microcontroller based electronic controller. The Special Offer price is great & reading the manual it has a lot of nice features including Hall Effect Trigger, two stage power curve adjustment and adaptive brakes, which can only easily be done when you have a processor. To keep cost down they have gone for a pushbutton based adjustment approach, wheras I prefer separate knobs with direct and immediate acccess to the adjustment and a physical indication of setting.

Have to say that if I was in the market for a high end controller I could not bring myself to go buy one that still scrapes a slider up and down a piece of wire or a set of pads.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Price at Pendles for such a high spec controller was just too tempting,
So have ordered on to have a play with and see if the feel and usability matches the spec?

Here is the User Guide, worth a read if you are interested? Only rather glaring omission from the spec is any indication of the rated current?

View attachment hammer_m_eng.pdf

Rich

Attachments

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 7 Jun 2012, 15:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Or if you want a very good controller at a very good price you could build one of these

Seems like a lot of work when a Parma Plus is £45 & the Avant Slot controller is £55?

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 7 Jun 2012, 16:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I look forward to Rich's take on the Avant Slot Hammer. I share his appreciation of dedicated knobs for functions on a controller.

Its interesting that when I started looking at adjustments for my Wireless contollers that my first thoughts / approach was a single knob and multiple selectable functions aided by a multicolour LED. Without knowing it at the time this is close to what the ASH does, albeit also aided by multiple buttons & a single digit display.

In trialing my controller I then found it close to impossible to make on the fly adjustments so decided to ditch the LED and replace with a second pot. This I have found much better and can easily find / feel the knobs and make an adjustment, also a quick glance at the knob position can be done to confirm setting.

So I can see why the ASH is designed as it is, also it has a lot of adjustments that would have required a lot of knobs. So it's probably my biggest concern? My feeling without even picking one up is that it's greatest strength, lots of adjustments, may also be it's biggest failing? I suspect it would be improved with the addition of a knob or two, and if it had the ability to remember a few setups that could be recalled?

Good review over on SCI to some degree confirms this. That said still potentially a lot of controller for the money at the current Pendle price. A massive step up from a non adjustable controller, even if you only use a fraction of the functionality.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.