SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that's a newbie question... I just got an Avant Slot Subaru model 51006. I tried my allen keys on those small grub screws but they seem very tight.

I had a cheap allen key (1$) for slot.it grub screws but it seems a tiny bit too small as when i try to unscrew, it just seems to snap. I tried it on two screws briefly and decided it was better to ask here before making things worse.

I've got a screwdriver for NSR, some allen keys for Sloting Plus but i haven't worked on other brands yet. Those seemed too big for Avant Slot.

Can anyone recommend something that'll work well ? Preferably something you have used before.
Even better if it's something available at a store sponsoring slotforum.

I think i dislike anything smaller than Sloting Plus M2.5.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the chassis adjustment allen grubscrews are 2mm so you need a .9 tip. unbrako facom ect. all good quality hex wrenches. its cheaper to buy this way. the normal sizes are .7-.9-1.27-1.30. my handle driver wrenches are skya. their cheap and have a good tip[replaceable] john

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
sounds like you,ve got to be brutal if its a good bit and the right size, you,ve got to tap it home with a small hammer. it will go in and it wont harm a good tip. the grubscrew will be reuseable, but it will always be a snug fit wich is good. you,l probably strip the thread before the hex driver slips in the grubscrew. it does,nt take a lot of pressure to tighten a 2mm grubscrew. john

·
Registered
377 Posts
yes you need a proper 3mm tool a cheap 'allen key' will be next to useless.. trust an expert who provides racing tracks for hire and competitions. ( I hear you say who is the expert then?)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, thank you everyone. If it wasn't for you, i'd be helpless. Slots aren't very popular around here, sadly. So i can't ask a hobby shop what to do.

stoner : What do you mean by tapping it home with a small hammer ? Do you mean hitting the screwdriver so the bit sits deeper in the screw head ?

Not a native english speaker, which makes me write some funny stuff.
I'll buy a better tool and try again before reverting to force.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
yes, support underneath the wheel with something solid, a piece or flat alluminium in a vice is ideal. then take the bit out of the driver, put the bit on top of the grubsrew socket and tap it in till it reaches the bottom ot the socket. when its fully home use a bit off pressure on the bit, by pushing and pulling in a circular motion, till you can pull the bit out by hand. you might have to tap the bit all round it to get it free. only use a very small hammer and very light taps. john by the way your english is very good

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's an update.

I had bought some sort of jeweller's toolkit in a hardware store a while ago. I had forgotten about this since it's something i mostly used to take apart my laptop computer. Turns out it has a 0.9mm allen key driver in there. Worked very well on the grub screws on the plastic parts. The scews in one of the axle stops is totally stripped and the other axle stop has a stripped thread so it's not holding anything in place.

I will replace those screws with another brand soon.

I don't see this posted often around here, but slotforum is definitely one of the most friendly and helpful forums out there.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
If it hasn't been mentioned before the .89 size found in metric sets is the same as the .035 size found in Imperial sets. Just in case.

On my travels I stumbled onto some stainless 2mm ones. Stainless as a rule is harder than regular steel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts