SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm intending to purchase an Avant Slot Opel Manta soon, hopefully at the Slot Festival if anyone has one there, my question is has anyone converted one to inline (I hate angle grinders) and does the car come with the necessary gears or do I need to budget for a pinion and crown?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't have the Manta yet, but my experience with other Avantslot cars is that when they say a car is ready to be converted, this only means the chassis is ready. The needed gears are not included, so I expect them not to be included in the Manta as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Julian, I have the Manta and have converted it to inline today (like some others on this forum I had a 1:1 B series Manta many years ago so HAD to get a slotcar one). I don't mind anglewinders, the most fun car I have is an NSR Corvette C6R (running at 10V, non-mag on Carrera track) but the Manta was very noisy (gears) and I could not get it any quieter by altering the gear mesh.

You will need an inline motor bracket Avant Slot part no. 20519, and a crown gear. I used a Slot.It 28t crown which meshes OK with the AS 9t pinion. Now the car runs much more quietly and will probably get even better as the gears run-in. One problem - the boss of the crown rubbed on the motor bracket, so I removed metal to narrow the boss slightly. Since the rear axle bearings are height adjustable, it would be possible to fit an offset crown and run the chassis lower but I set the axle at motor shaft height to use a standard gear.

The adjustable rear bearings are a complication too far in my opinion as the chassis is not stiff enough (like so many plastic RTR chassis) to get this to work to work well. Out of the box I found that the rear axle was not at all free running and it is tricky to set up. I shaved a little plastic from the sides of the bearing posts to help the bearings self align.You have to be very careful to get the top and bottom grub screws set correctly to level the axle. Also do not tighten them too much (or the bearings twist and bind on the axle), but not set them too loose (or the bearings will spin and also vibrate vertically causing severe cornering chatter). There are small holes in the bearings to engage with the ends of these grub screws but I added a small chamfer to the holes to ease location (one bearing was not properly aligned with the screws as received). The screws supplied are also a bit short so I replaced the top two with 6mm M2 screws, the bottom ones are OK with the axle at motor shaft height.

In addition, I replaced the rear axle with a Slot.It equivalent (the AS axle seemed a little soft), and fitted Slot.It Z0 front tyres and P2 rears (I normally run P6 but wanted to ensure plenty of tail out action!). My track is not a rally track and is glued down to a plywood base so is very smooth and I locked the drop arm up and set the front axle to keep the tyres just clear of the track surface but with a tiny amount of upward travel. This set up works best for me but obviously depends on the characteristics of the track.

Hope this helps, Jeff.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I had 2 1:1 Mantas BTW both 1.9 SRs, the first one was an auto and it's gearbox let go in a fairly big way, the second was a manual and lasted years, it was over 20 years old when I sold it and the only problems were caused by old age rather than things wearing out or rust.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's arrived and it looks lovely, a little bit larger than the Revell Ascona 400 so probably a little over scale, everything seems to be adjusted about right though the drop arm was a little high, mesh seems okay, gave it a little run with the wheels off the ground to make sure it works and it wasn't too noisy, unfortunately I can't use it properley until my birthday in 19 days time.

I'll get an inline motor bracket for it, but I don't know if I'll use it.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I decided to give myself an early birthday present, and very nice it is to, not that fast, my Ninco 911 (with a change of tyres and some weight) is a little faster on a tight twisty rally stage, gears a bit noisy but not overly loud and just like the real car, it looks faster than it is. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've got one of these and set up with zero grip fronts and NSR ultra grip rears and have tried several different set ups but still can't get it any where near as good as my ninco C4.
Everyone else is using msc rally cars at the club so I gave up on the manta and got an msc rs200 now.

I would have stuck with the Citroen but its out paced!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've put a set of Ninco 19x10 slicks on it and it now beats the 911, I've got the MSC 6R4 but I don't think I'm good enough to get the best out of the Metro, I can do the odd quick lap with it but not string enough together to get a decent stage time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts