SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I would like to use my GP5+ psu also on my digital system (I alternate between analogue & digital). Does anyone know if this is possible making a modification to the XLR connections? My electronics knowledge is pretty slim, but I'm sure there will be someone around who can shed some light!

For those not familiar with the PSU this is the unit:

Those two connectors shown are XLR, the controllers are plugged into them and when using in analogue you do not use the Scalextric powerbase, the PSU acts as both PSU and powerbase in one. At the back of the PSU are the cables that are wired directly to the track.

Now, the issue is that when changing to digital you DO need to use the Scaley PB and digital controllers through the PB. For me to use the GP5+ (which is a great PSU by the way!) on digital I would need to redirect the current to the PB and over-ride the XLR connectors.

The basic current wiring to the PB is easy, just remove the wiring from the track and redirect it via jacks to the PB, what I don't know how to do is to override the XLRs. I imagine the PB would only be receiving current if I had two controllers plugged into the PSU with their throttles at max continuously which is a no no. So is it possible to just buy two XLR connectors and wire them in some way so they can be plugged into the PSU for digital use and trick it into thinking it has two controllers letting the current through?

These are the connectors I have bought and a diagram of the wiring.. what would I need to wire to let the current through them?

If I'm not mistaken on the diagram the numbers are:

1. White - full throttle
2. Red - brake
3. Black - slider?

As I said, I am pretty useless at electronics so I may be talking nonsense! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Greg!

Thx for your help again! As you can see I am on the 2nd stage of my comeback to slots which is adapting my new layout to take digital also. As you mentioned in the thread to the SCP1 controller it looks like I'll have to leave some wiring here and there to make things easy when using either analogue or digital.

Yes, my idea was that I should be able to short the XLR connectors somehow it's just that I don't know which pins exactly! My intuition was 1 & 3 also but I really need confirmation before going ahead, I don't want something to go *POOF*!!

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally tried this out yesterday using my old C7030 and it worked! Two XLR connectors both shorted 1 and 3, plug them in and it sends the power to the PB. So it should work also for the C7042, just need to change the connectors as they are different, I'll confirm in a few days hopefully.
Cheers

·
Greg Gaub
14,649 Posts
Excellent! Plus, isn't it adjustable voltage? You'll want between 12 and 15 for the APB (C7042), but there is a mod that will allow a wider range of voltage variation. It voids the APB warranty, of course, but makes it that much more useful for especially hot motored cars on small/technical tracks like what most people have in their "play rooms"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts