SlotForum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

I'm stuck

I got an avant slot Subaru at the slot festival & finally got some time last night to have a play with it, but i must have spent a good three hours tuning & I'm stuck. From a standing start if i apply full power, on take off the front end lifts up at least 20mm, is the motor to powerful ?. Once I get the car moving past half speed then its brilliant.

I have tried adding weight to the front & at the point of no lifting, i had far to much weight for racing. The car is on wood with a parma eco 45ohm controller. I have also changed the rear tyres for NSR ultras so maybe to much grip ?

I also own the Renault alpine but did manage to tame it slightly, just very minor lift off.

Please help

Cheers Paul.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried that Julian, it did cross my mind to think about getting a variable controller but its maybe a bit over the top for two cars.

Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I take it that is a joke Julian, that kind of defies the point of racing.

Paul, I hope you arnt planning to use that Subaru for the rally championship with those tyres on!

Does it have a drop arm? If so, you could try and fix it in place or limit its drop.

Stephen

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (owensy @ 27 May 2011, 15:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I take it that is a joke Julian, that kind of defies the point of racing.

Yes and no, part of driving is finding traction, I've raced plenty of motorbikes that if you'd whacked the throttle wide open in first, you'd have had a mouthful of handlebars.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drop arm helps it, as when the front end lifts the guide is still in the slot.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have (I am ashamed to say) spent many more than 3 hours trying to stop both the Pug 207 and now the Scuby from lifting the nose from start and tramping out of corners.

First of all I think the motor is too much for the car, the final spec for the 207 ended up as follows
JP Motor ((similar to a 20k Scaleauto in my book)
Slot.It Gears 6mm 11z Pinion & 29z A/W
Sloting Plus Combination Axle Beam
NSR Wheels & U/Grips

After the motor the thing I was most dubious about was the 5.5mm pinion, unfortunately when I changed the motor I also changed the pinion size so it is difficult to say what was really the problem. My gut tells me the motor is too much for the chassis especially with the adjustable height rear end.
Anyway good luck and hopefully someone will enlighten us with a little more that open the throttle a little slower. LOL
By the way I use a Truspeed PWM with traction control (@ zero) and it was still tramping before all the mods above.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
270 Posts
What voltage are you running at? At 12v mine run fine. My biggest complaint is the soft axles, are they aluminium? Anyway I swap them for a nicely polished Slot.it one, make sure there's no slop in the axle holders and away we go.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I cracked it last night
. I changed the motor for a spirit one of the same RPM (i think) & that has done the job. The spirit motor must have less torque as its still got very good top end speed, just not as aggressive at low speed.

Also just out of interest, i then put the avant slot motor into the new Flyslot BMW M3 & it works well with a bit more top end speed than the standard fly motor.

Hopefully tonight I can do the same for the alpine, that can have the fly motor.

Happy days.

Paul.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I run at 13.8volts on my home track and at East Devon Slot Racing Club both are wood with garage floor paint smooth finish.
Regards
Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts