SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,636 Posts
A good meeting with an international attendance, I enjoyed the pancakes on the oval but the G+ were a little too quick for an oval IMO.

Well done to LeeT and Craig for outstanding drives in the Team Challenge.

Well done to Paul and Martin for their individual cups, one day I'll win a Pancake race

LeeH drove very well, he'll be a good team member for the 6 hour

I hope everyone enjoyed themseleves, I certainly had a good day of stress free racing.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I believe all of the F1 cars started the days with wings, mine got broken twice, it's a problem that effects Ferraris and Mclarens, we had a lot of high speed crashes on the oval, if we run another oval meeting for pancakes then in the afternoon we should run with an infield to slow the G+ cars down, high speeds and 30 year old plastic don't mix.

I would prefer people to start with complete body shells, but I won't stop someone racing just because the only body they've got doesn't have a wing, but then again I'm not bothered about accurate paint schemes - racing slot cars should be about having fun, not being anal about whether or not a car has the right stickers.

The F1 body situation needs to be thought about because the ones that handle well are the rare ones. I'm happy to discuss it but there won't be any rule changes until the 2013 season as I hate mid season rule changes.

As for Paul and Craig not liking the cars, then a big thanks to both of them for attending and trying their best, I thought both of you were going pretty well in both events.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
IMO a lot of the bigger crashes were caused by cars jumping lanes and then getting full throttle onto the banking which acted like a take off ramp leading to the cars ending up on the floor, the same thing was happening with pancakes but the bodies are a lot less fragile.

In hindsight lower banking might have been better, but Tomy track isn't flexible and is difficult to bank, if we were to do another oval I would prefer it to be flat with run off on the corners, SCX radius 2 borders can be fitted to Tomy 15" bends, but borders can also be made from 6mm MDF.
I haven't read the rules recently, but I believe they allow for body modifications to make one F1 car look like another F1 car, on the Ferrari the later 312 has a lot lower spoiler and air box, this afternoon I have modified mine to look like a later car. I'd have no objections to any body modifications which make the F1 bodies stronger as they'd add weight to the body.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I think the only way to get a decent banked oval would be for it to be routed, the only decent plastic banked track I've seen is 1:24 Carrera track, even the new Scalextric Sport banked track tends towards having bumpy joints, and trying to mix flat and banked corners makes things worse.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I enjoyed the magnatractions on an oval, but for me, the G+ were a bit too quick and a little boring, but given the choice I'd prefer a fast flowing road course over an oval for any type of car.
Personally I can't see the fascination with ovals, I've made a non-magnetic floval and it gets boring pretty quickly, though it is very short.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
QUOTE (LeeH @ 30 Dec 2011, 18:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I prefered the g+ on the oval defo

I think most people prefer the G+ on any track, magnatractions are tricky to drive and are much less forgiving than a 1:32 car due to the pin guide, 1:32 and 1:24 cars with pin guides are very difficult to drive in comparison with more conventional guide set ups. The G+ has enough magnetic down force for it to be less of a problem.

A good magnatraction is a pleasure to use, but to get a good one you either have to be lucky, test a lot of them, or take a few apart and build one out of the best parts, my 2nd places at all of the Pancake meetings we've had have been down to car preperation, not driving skill, if you look at the results for the Team Challenge you'll see Craig and Lee got nearly as many laps as me when using my car.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
It's a four round championship, there'll be a trophy for the winner of the championship, and probably trophies for 2nd and 3rd places, seperate championships for pancakes and G+

I take my cars apart, clean them, fit Autoworld motor magnets, make sure the axles are straight, fit different rear wheels (G+ wheels seem to work for me) and if they've got O ring front tyres, change the wheels and tyres for non O ring ones, but I've got quite a few pancake cars and can pick and choose the bits I want to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.