SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 29 Dec 2011, 13:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pity about the wings, one of the things I like about the G+ F1 is it looks like the real thing, including the wing.

Is there a fix on the way?
Super glue or a new body

QUOTE Don't crash

But that is better

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ha Ha Ha, I never thought of that one

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
At least 4 cars were damaged to a lesser or greater degree, not just the one.

Al, I don't know if he can

About the wings, you will have to ask Julian and Martin not me, I am only the Organ Grinder not the Tech Guy,
but there is 3 months to go til the next one

· Banned
8,456 Posts
I have some of those F1s, including a McLaren redone in Yardley colours.

If there is going to be some kind of control on wings, and rules allowing bracing or something similar, I'd be happy to let them go to a good home, if not you will quickly have a field of odd looking cars.

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Wing bracing is something to think about if it is not to horribly done

As we speak there must be a queue to your door for these

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I believe all of the F1 cars started the days with wings, mine got broken twice, it's a problem that effects Ferraris and Mclarens, we had a lot of high speed crashes on the oval, if we run another oval meeting for pancakes then in the afternoon we should run with an infield to slow the G+ cars down, high speeds and 30 year old plastic don't mix.

I would prefer people to start with complete body shells, but I won't stop someone racing just because the only body they've got doesn't have a wing, but then again I'm not bothered about accurate paint schemes - racing slot cars should be about having fun, not being anal about whether or not a car has the right stickers.

The F1 body situation needs to be thought about because the ones that handle well are the rare ones. I'm happy to discuss it but there won't be any rule changes until the 2013 season as I hate mid season rule changes.

As for Paul and Craig not liking the cars, then a big thanks to both of them for attending and trying their best, I thought both of you were going pretty well in both events.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
To be fair Deane they are 20 to 30 year old cars so are going to break easy surely?? And if it happens in a race and doesn't get fixed for rest of meeting then does it matter?? Same as racing any other f1 cars even mega g I have seen wings break and the rest of chassis still be raced through out rest of day, this even happened at kings Lynn with us guys. If pictures were taken at start of the day all the cars looked good so it just a fact of racing the damage occurs if it be slot car racing or even karting (which this happens a lot) or full car/bike racing?? Maybe just me thou

· Registered
2,537 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 29 Dec 2011, 18:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you've got a supply of G+ F1 bodies apart from Ferraris and Mclarens could you share it with the rest of us.

I agree the other bodies are better to race and more crash proof, but they're hardly common.
Mine, which had previously broke on the spoiler support, broke right across the rear of the body, it's going to need some serious bracing to be usable again, it's a horrible handling body though.

The Tyrrells I have run exceptionally well but as has been pointed out, the plastic is more brittle than a wafer of ice.

I think if someone was going to start producing stronger bodies for the G+ chassis so it could be safely raced without fear of destroying a classic body (I'm a bit anal about destroying vintage stuff) then I think there would definitely be a market there. I think a body like the old Lotus Renaults and Renault factory cars would be excellent as they are low with less vulnerable protrusions. Or a Brabham but they're much uglier in my opinion.

Well done all for what looked like a really good fun meeting. I love driving Magnatractions and G+ cars so it would have been right up my street. Too bad transport and minor irritations like that were against me!!

I like that the track was a tricky looking oval with different radius corners. At least, it looked like it in the video!

Invest in some banking supports for the next oval race to get a smooth flowing surface would be my only recommendation. It looked a little bumpy in places although that just adds to the driving challenge!

Oh and good work on the video, it was fun to watch!

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
QUOTE (Leet @ 29 Dec 2011, 18:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't you just love the title to the post:

AVHORA Christmas Cracker the discussion and results

Hmmmm

Just thought I would give the chance to comment, even those that were not there,
although those that were there, carry more weight, imho

fwiw. Gareth re. the supports, yes for sure, they did need to be more substantial.

· Registered
540 Posts
The G+'s that did break seamed to break more because they hit the floor than other cars, maybe covering the floor with bubble wrap would make a nice soft landing for them

On a serious note maybe all that is needed is a substantial barrier all the way around so they stay off the floor?

· Premium Member
996 Posts
AVHORA Christmas Cracker Report
A mild December morning in Yelling saw the first meeting under the new AVHORA banner. After the festive excess it was time to get back to racing in Yelling...

The Track
Tony had designed a rather challenging oval for the meeting. Turn 1 was an only lightly banked 45 degree corner followed by a short straight and then Turn 2 which was 135 degrees of varying radius. A blast down the main straight led to Turn 3 another varying radius 90 degree banked bend. A short banked straight led on to Turn 4 which again was a 90 degree varying radius banked corner leading back to the start finish straight.

Classic Nascar
The Classic Nascars were running on pancake chassis.

20 racers lined up on the Nascar grid for the 'Cracker 300' which included no fewer than 4 members of the Masters family who had come to join Uncle Roy for the morning's racing.

Qualifying
With quite a high variance in car performance, qualifying was an interesting and hectic affair. Good scores were mainly achieved by staying out of trouble and avoiding other people's accidents which was often more a case of luck than judgement. Marshalling at turn 1 was fairly frenzied with many cars just carrying too much speed from the start finish straight into the slowest corner on the track. Paul Roach should be commended for his marshalling here as at times his arms were a blur of resloting efficiency! Perhaps this gave him some good racing Karma that helped him avoid the majority of the carnage during his heats and notch up 201.2 laps putting him almost 20 laps ahead of his nearest rival Julian. Alan Bullock was a further 13 laps back with Roy hot on his heals just half a lap further behind in fourth.

F Final
David Masters drove a solid race to beat young Erin Taylor despite her cuddly fox Doughnut cheering her on from the sidelines.

E Final
A gripping battle between Lee Taylor and Lee Henderson saw the lead change hands several times before Lee Taylor came out on top at the end of the three minutes.

D Final
Louise Masters took an impressive victory from Ian Masters in the D final, winning in the end by just over a lap. Lee Taylor was third following Martin Hill's retirement.

C Final
Paul Homewood won the C final by just over 2 laps from Al Wood. With John Chell finishing a few laps further behind in third.

B Final
A first corner pile up caused a restart in the B final which was eventually won by Roy Masters to the cheers of his supporting family. Dave Hannington finished 5 laps behind and both Craig Homewood and Dave Rouse retired leaving the track fairly quiet by the end of the final.

A Final
Paul Roach demonstrated the fine performance of his pancake car again notching up another impressive score of 51.6 laps. Julian had to settle for second 7 and half laps behind him. An epic slog between Roy Masters and Alan Bullock for third place ended with Roy just 0.2 laps ahead.

Classic F1
Following the departure of the Masters family who seemed to very much enjoy the event, 16 racers were left on the grid for the Classic F1 racing 'Snowball shootout' using the G+ chassis.

Qualifying
The G+ cars were capable of considerably higher speeds both on the straights and round the corners so when they came off, they really came off! Trips to the floor resulted in several lost wings and some hilarity.

Following his marshalling success in the morning Paul Roach became perhaps a touch overenthusiastic in the afternoon and interrupted one heat following the complete destruction of turn 2 of the oval! His solid driving was enough to put him back in pole position by a 16 lap margin over Martin Hill who was looking considerably more comfortable driving the G+ than the pancake chassis of the morning. Tony Stacey took third place in qualifying a further 16 laps back from Martin to claim the last guaranteed spot in the A final.

E Final
Lee Taylor won the E final with out much trouble from his competitors. Al Wood's chassis handled well but had no straight line pace to keep up with him and in the end he was lucky to finish just over three laps up from young Matt Hill.

D Final
Lee Henderson came out on top of a close three way battle between himself, Alan Bullock and Julian Allard in the D final who all finished within 2 laps of each other.

C Final
Dave Rouse scored a convincing victory in the yellow lane in the C final from Paul Homewood. Roy was just a lap behind Paul at the end and Lee Henderson just over a lap behind him too.

B Final
Dave Rouse hopped up to the yellow lane again for the B final and once again won, by a smaller but still comfortable 5 lap margin from John Chell, Dave Hannington and Craig Homewood.

A Final
So once again Dave Rouse hopped up to the yellow lane and even led a lap or two of the A final. Martin was clearly keen to take home new silverware though and didn't let him lead for too long. Paul Roach lost a pick up spring on lap 39 and sadly retired from what could have been an epic shoot out with Martin Hill and Dave Rouse. After the three minutes Martin was 3 laps up from Dave Rouse and Tony Stacey finished a solid third behind them.

Classic Nascar Team Challenge

Tony Stacey sat out of the team challenge to leave 5 teams of three drivers selected in a balanced manner based on their finishing order in the morning Classic Nascar event. Each driver drove a three minute heat on a lane for their team. Each team had to race in three different lanes of their choosing.

Heats

Solid performances by each of Craig Homewood, Julian Allard & Lee Taylor won Team 2 the team challenge trophies.

Thanks to all who attended and made the first AVHORA meeting so successful!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.