SlotForum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Great report and stats, thanks again Al, for your full in depth tables and factual info.

A big hand to the man

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 29 Dec 2011, 22:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kudos to Tony and Julian for putting on another pancake show.

Not forgettting Martin

QUOTE Shame the timings have been completely impossible for me to take part

Next time then, maybe bringing Gareth, John, plus any other pancake warriors with you

QUOTE Clearly that makes any comment on my part completely unwelcome and illegitimate.

Not at all, every one else has, on topic or off it seems

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
QUOTE (pasiro @ 29 Dec 2011, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The G+'s that did break seamed to break more because they hit the floor than other cars, maybe covering the floor with bubble wrap would make a nice soft landing for them

Something like that is not such a daft idea, carpet underlay would help I would think

· Premium Member
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Factual and friendly here

Contentious on the 'Exploded' thread

· Banned
8,456 Posts
It looks to me as if the car damage issue was exacerbated by barriers that the cars could all too easily go over, and even under. Higher hard barriers, perhaps lined with something, curved to match the track would of been the order of the day. An apron on the outside of the track about one lane width, to which the barriers could be attached so that the guy in the outer lane can't lean on them, plus some clear barriers on the inside of the turns would of contained the cars.

You would then have the problem of cars stranded on the track, but they can be covered by drivers factoring in crashes ahead (always vital on any oval, if you want to do well) and track calls.

· Registered
540 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 30 Dec 2011, 13:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks to me as if the car damage issue was exacerbated by barriers that the cars could all too easily go over, and even under. Higher hard barriers, perhaps lined with something, curved to match the track would of been the order of the day. An apron on the outside of the track about one lane width, to which the barriers could be attached so that the guy in the outer lane can't lean on them, plus some clear barriers on the inside of the turns would of contained the cars.

Maybe the answer would have been to put the table tennis all the way round the tables and taped to the table edge? As long as they're pulled tight they should be high enough and cars couldn't go under if they were taped down.

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 30 Dec 2011, 13:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You would then have the problem of cars stranded on the track, but they can be covered by drivers factoring in crashes ahead (always vital on any oval, if you want to do well) and track calls.

That was the fun bit trying to look ahead and avoiding those that had come off; it even worked at times

· Registered
3,636 Posts
IMO a lot of the bigger crashes were caused by cars jumping lanes and then getting full throttle onto the banking which acted like a take off ramp leading to the cars ending up on the floor, the same thing was happening with pancakes but the bodies are a lot less fragile.

In hindsight lower banking might have been better, but Tomy track isn't flexible and is difficult to bank, if we were to do another oval I would prefer it to be flat with run off on the corners, SCX radius 2 borders can be fitted to Tomy 15" bends, but borders can also be made from 6mm MDF.
I haven't read the rules recently, but I believe they allow for body modifications to make one F1 car look like another F1 car, on the Ferrari the later 312 has a lot lower spoiler and air box, this afternoon I have modified mine to look like a later car. I'd have no objections to any body modifications which make the F1 bodies stronger as they'd add weight to the body.

· Registered
3,636 Posts
I think the only way to get a decent banked oval would be for it to be routed, the only decent plastic banked track I've seen is 1:24 Carrera track, even the new Scalextric Sport banked track tends towards having bumpy joints, and trying to mix flat and banked corners makes things worse.

· Banned
8,456 Posts
I'm close to ordering a banked section from Brad. It is clear (more so than ever today) that a national at the Rock is highly unlikely, so it seems the right thing to do to press on with our own project.

· Banned
8,456 Posts
The ultimate goal will be to have an oval set up somewhere either permanently or so it can be running very quickly. I have two irons in the fire with that, so it is merely
a case of getting four corners made, and getting the design of them right straight off the bat. If we can pull that off then it can be used a lot, and be the UK's unifying oval. The current thinking between those of us close to the project is that the Rock banking is too steep and too big, leading to the truncated running on it and the comments from some of their guys that it is boring.

That is not a slam for it's own sake by the way. Ovals seems to be a hot topic right now, so even conjecture about the one oval the UK has right now might save somebody some heartache down the line. After the 4hr weekend we might have some real data/feedback to work with, plus Brad (the Rock builder) will no doubt have insights and opinions. FWIIW, if you are thinking of going routed he has to be the only place to go to...

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.