SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been struggling with a recently acquired NOS chip.
Chip is the Slot.IT B type shape and the packaging shows "b2"
Struggled to connect to the chip using dongle &bootloader 2 & "b1" menu item, so I upgraded the dongle firmware to 3.12 from 3.10 hoping that this would resolve the issue.
Observed the controller version warning. My controllers are at 3.04 so no problem.
The firmware upgrade did not help, but browsing around the various menu options I clicked on the "c chip" menu option and tried to connect. It connected!

Bootloader screen shows the chip as :
-firmware 3.03
-ID 6 (I paired it with SCP prior to connecting with dongle just to prove that the chip is not stone dead. The pairing is successful and the SCP can rev the motor when paired to this chip)
-oxigen-SSD
-mac 38B6

Questions:
1. Is this a known wrinkle in bootloader to misidentify b2chips as Cchips?
2. Why would the chip "car mode" be reported as "oxigen-SSD" instead of "oxigen"?
3. For an upcoming event I have to downgrade the firmware in the chip to 3.02 - Is it safe to press ahead and force the downgrade even though the chip is misidentified by bootloader?

Alan

PS I am starting the process to get the app to work but would still like to have bootloader working for all of the team's kit too.

·
ParrotGod
9,269 Posts
The only thing I can say is that the B2 and C chips share the same firmware so I am not totally surprised that this happens. But I let the RCS guys reply on this.
The oXigen/SSD mode is now the default mode for the oXigen chips.
There is no much difference between the two modes as far as I can tell (I have raced them on SSD and oXigen lane changers).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello. I have just registered a "C chip" with the slot it app. However It appears as a "B2 chip" in this app instead of C. I know this fact has happened to several of you. I have not had any problems so far, indeed, all my chips appear as C except this last one. The only difference is that this last chip has been registered after the last app update.

·
Vendor
2,974 Posts
Hi all. If you experience this issue the chip must be replaced, at no cost.
The chip identifies itself as either B2/C depending on whether one pin is grounded or not. Thus, a C type which reports itself as B2 type has a bad soldering joint.
This may not be a fatal error if you want to use the IC as oXigen chip only, but it's an indication of a soldering issue anyway, so it's better to replace it.
You can send it back directly to our office in Italy, and it will get replaced through your shop of choice.
IT IS IMPORTANT to download and fill this sheet and send it together with your IC:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all. If you experience this issue the chip must be replaced, at no cost.
The chip identifies itself as either B2/C depending on whether one pin is grounded or not. Thus, a C type which reports itself as B2 type has a bad soldering joint.
This may not be a fatal error if you want to use the IC as oXigen chip only, but it's an indication of a soldering issue anyway, so it's better to replace it.
You can send it back directly to our office in Italy, and it will get replaced through your shop of choice.
IT IS IMPORTANT to download and fill this sheet and send it together with your IC:
I have received a new car and equipped it with a C chip of my stock of two unused C chips.
After registration I was surprised to see it as a B2 chip but the car works fine. Nevertheless reading this post, I decided to change the chip to send it back. I was carefull enough this time to check the second chip before installation in the car.
Amazingly this second chip also repported to be a B2 chip after registration.
The other weird thing is that before registration, the Smartphone App proposed me an upgrade of the firmware O201c-O2-0315b-210825 which to me is e C chip firmware. But maybe B2 and C chips share the same firmware.
Anyway unless you instruct me otherwise (I am a O2 only user and the chips works well for me), I will send both chips back and you will find out wether it is a bad soldering (unlikely) or a production instruction issue

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I understand, it does not matter which chip you have is B2 or C. One is only for O2 and the other is for SSD / O2, it depends on what you tell the bootloader or the app the system you have.

I have O2 and I configure the chip in O2. If I have it on SSD / O2 the car sometimes changes only lanes.

·
ParrotGod
9,269 Posts
Both the C1 and B2 chips share the same O2 firmware. The operation mode (O2, SSD/O2, Carrera) is a parameter that both the C and B chip families support. .
Then there are specific firmwares for making the C chip work as native chip for SSD and Carrera: these firmwares are only for the C chip family.
And they should not be confused with the operation mode.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have received a new car and equipped it with a C chip of my stock of two unused C chips.
After registration I was surprised to see it as a B2 chip but the car works fine. Nevertheless reading this post, I decided to change the chip to send it back. I was carefull enough this time to check the second chip before installation in the car.
Amazingly this second chip also repported to be a B2 chip after registration.
The other weird thing is that before registration, the Smartphone App proposed me an upgrade of the firmware O201c-O2-0315b-210825 which to me is e C chip firmware. But maybe B2 and C chips share the same firmware.
Anyway unless you instruct me otherwise (I am a O2 only user and the chips works well for me), I will send both chips back and you will find out wether it is a bad soldering (unlikely) or a production instruction issue
I still don't know if I should send back my 2 C chips to Gallileo in Italy which is preferable if this is really a bad soldering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts