SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My F1 thread got me thinking about changing.

Another change, allthough one that won't directly affect the sport, is allowance of tobacco advertsing. Tobacco liveries have allways been the attractive of all in my eyes.

Why censor it? Seeing senna win in his Malboro McLaren never made me think 'I gotta start smokin them reds as soon as possible'. I never even knew what Mild Seven were until recently, I really don't think it makes any difference. Choice of brand for an existing smoker maybe, but it seems unlikley to me it'll make you start. Maybe this discussion belongs on a health board though.........

Besides, was anyone confused by the Malboro banner at the top of the hangar straight on Sunday whilst the cars remained censored?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE I never even knew what Mild Seven were until recently

Sponsorship works then.

QUOTE was anyone confused by the Malboro banner at the top of the hangar straight on Sunday whilst the cars remained censored

Used to be that the rule cover "heart of the action", i.e. on the cars or players. Of course, with so little on track overtaking in F1 these days you might argue the cars are not heart of the action, but that's another story.

However, even pack graphics are banned - hence Ferrari's white blocks rather than chevrons or whatever Phillip Morris call them.

In any event, I'd be amazed if it was a real, offcial *** ad. If so, there will be trouble and Silverstone really doesn't need that at the moment.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
God, our markting research people would love you two - that's seriously small and yet you picked it out.

Now, can you tell who or what ANY of the Minardi sponsors are?

No, thought not. Don't think anyone can.

·
Registered
420 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 12 Jul 2004, 23:47)God, our markting research people would love you two - that's seriously small and yet you picked it out.
Actually - if you did watch the race on TV then this particular advert was quite obvious and NOT small all the time. On regular basis the camera was showing close-ups on the cars entering the 'straight' and then the Marlboro advert was ALL OVER THE SCREEN in the background - just above the cars then...
- those marketing people did know very well why they chose that particular place...

//peter

G

·
.......on the subject of smoking advertising and it's damage to health, no one has questioned the effects of the fuel emissions from the cars, stuff like Carbon Monoxide, Benzene, Nitrogen Dioxide and PM10 all very healthy indeed! Can't see what's wrong with advertising on slot cars within the period year they are set in. Future cars will have blank white boxes all over them!

......as for Alcohol advertising, that's bad for your kidneys and no one has band that, nothing worse that trying to hold a conversation with someone that is really pissed and you are sober........ I'm off for a pint and a ***!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Issues of what can and cannot be written on the side of a car will be easily overtaken by legislation when they ban cars altogether. It will happen within my life time I fear.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I reckon you are right Scott. It will probably begin with the `Chinese` rule of only being allowed one per family! Two colours available and you must not do more than twenty miles per day!!
It can only get worse!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
drinking, bad for you? if it's gonna kill me then I may as well start now and enjoy it before it kills me!

Anyway, if your going to stop anything it should be trains as they have been proven to be more earth damaging than cars.. still gonna be driving cars hard tho

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thank you all for spotting the M ad on sundays GP, I thought I'd dream't the whole thing up!
What bullsh*t.
I'm now going to to have to start smokin' again... " 5 Park Drive please mister"

·
Registered
420 Posts
QUOTE (jonny s @ 13 Jul 2004, 14:10)
I reckon you are right Scott. It will probably begin with the `Chinese` rule of only being allowed one per family! Two colours available and you must not do more than twenty miles per day!!
It can only get worse!
actually you have totally misunderstood the whole thing

it is not one car per family - it is one bicycle per family...

//peter

1 - 17 of 17 Posts